Meepmeep

Jun 26, 2020
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
2nd year above ground pool victim here. We had frequent and persistent algae 2nd half of last season and this season, despite the pool opening very clear and being good for the first 2 weeks of the season (when it was cool and in the 70s) we’ve literally only had like 4 swimmable days when the pool hasn’t been a swamp. We had 2 days of the kids soccer team over after tournament games, then swamp. We shocked it, it clears up. Swim 1 day, then swamp. Repeat.

I did have an issue with air in the filter, I had a pinhole leak in the strainer hose which I replaced. The filter unit filled with air every time the filter cycled off. The leak continued, I lubed all the seals and gaskets and it seems better. I am running the filter 27/7 right now to avoid air in the system.

I am committed to a proper slam and doing away with this algae. I suspect it is yellow algae, but am not 100% sure. I’m doing the yellow algae SLAM because I’m not doing this twice. Honestly if this doesn’t work I’m ready to get rid of the pool. It’s daily work, and there’s no pleasure use due to the swamp.

so SLAM question… my CYA is 50 on yhe TF-100 kit (fresh chemicals) and my pH is 7.4 after adjusting down from 8 using dry acid. My target SLAM fc is therefore 20. I went to 22ish using 3 bags of 1 lb 68% cal-hypo because I have 2 dozen bags the pool store sold my wife. I am doing all subsequent adjustments using 12% liquid chlorine. At the end of the slam I wlll go to the yellow algae level (30) for 24 hrs.

I have to vacuum to waste using the gravity method because I do not have a waste valve.

Do I adjust the SLAM fc levels to the change in CYA levels after each vacuum? I’m using a 2” hose so I lose significant water with each vacuum and I’m adding fresh water as I vacuum. I suspect the CYA levels will drop 10 with each vacuum.

or is 20 FC /30 to finish the consistent level I’m shooting for despite the drop in buffer?

Do I adjust the SLAM fc levels to the change in CYA levels after each vacuum?
Depends on how much water your remove and how that impacts the CYA. I would say check the CYA after every 2-3 vacuums to see if it went down. If it did, the you can go to the lower FC SLAM level.

1 vacuum took it from the 50 line down to almost the 40 line (but still in 50 range). I’ll keep an eye on it. I’m trying to balance the amount of 12% I have on hand with what I’ll need for this SLAM. I have about 3.5 gallons and my last 2 top-offs have been 32 Oz each as my FC has dropped by 4 (from 21 to 17). Both top-offs are in the same day (morning and midday). I expect 1 more top-off tonight at dusk.

Im assuming (hoping?) that my top-offs will require less Oz. of chlorine each time as the algae starts to die off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.