North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Knowing full well that no good deed goes unpunished, I helped a friend open her pool tonight and start a SLAM.

Initial test showed:

FC: 0
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA: 30
CH: 70
CYA: <<30 (not even remotely cloudy)

Vinyl, 7,450 gal (18' round AGP)

I added 1lb trichlor shock and tested in 30 mins

FC: <0.5
CC: 0.5

Added 0.5 gal 12.5% liquid shock, tested in 10 minutes:

FC: 0.5
CC: 1.5

Repeated the above twice more until I got 2ppm FC.

Another 0.5 gal got me to 5ppm.

At that point I was out of liquid, so I switched back to the trichlor shock to get up to SLAM level of 12.

It seems to me that the next course of action, other than maintaining SLAM, is to add 4lbs of baking soda to raise alkalinity to 70 and hang 2/3 lb of dry stabilizer to add 10ppm CYA, on top of the 1.5lbs of trichlor already added, and retest.

Anything else I'm missing?

PXL_20210525_223033630.MP_copy_2016x1512.jpg

when u go back & fc is below 10 check ph & ta again- the acidic trichlor may have lowered them even more.
Definitely use some baking soda to increase just ta or soda ash if ta & ph need to increase.
Use PoolMath effects of adding to determine how much cya the trichlor has contributed then SLAM Process using those calculated amounts to determine the necessary fc level until you test cya again.
Good luck to u - & point your friend this direction. We’ll take good care of her 😁

First thing you should have done is bring your CYA up to at least 30. After adjusting pH of course. THEN add chlorine. This is explicated in SLAM Process.

Stop with the shock powder. Get more liquid chlorine. While you're at the store, hang a sock containing enough CYA to bring it up to 30 or 40 in front of the outlet. Squeeze sock after a couple hours to disperse the CYA.

NOW add enough chlorine to bring your FC up to 16 ppm. Calculate using PoolMath the amount you need. Do this (adding LC) at least twice a day. Brush the pool, sides and floor,and vacuum once a day. Continue this until your pool is crystal clear, your Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is 1 or less, and the CC is 0.5 or less.

You've got to bring up your CYA or you're just wasting chlorine.

Reactions: wireform
Edit- i just re read & realized u haven’t added granular cya yet - so you have roughly 13ppm cya now. Based on this to get to 30 ppm cya you’ll need to add 1# . I realize you were trying to help her with what u had on hand but it definitely would have been best to wait to proceed after u had the baking soda, cya, & liquid chlorine ready based on the initial test results. Adding fc in amounts higher than slam level for the cya risks bleaching the liner. Especially since there was 0 cya & u went to 12.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.