skimmer nets- New Fan

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
I was having to clean my cartridge filters too often ( surrounded my tree's that aren't mine ) but after a few folks suggested it I bought filter nets..After all the rain and pollen I can see where the nets have stopped a lot of brown pollen junk from clogging my filters :)

Reactions: Arizonarob
I assume that you are referring to lining your skimmer baskets with food service worker type, hair nets. That is just one of the many valuable tips you can pick up here. If you like the site, go ahead and fill in all your signature information, you could even make a donation to help keep it running.

Hello - We have a terrible problem with pollen - despite our screen cage - so my husband has me researching the vortex systems to enhance the skimmer. I just read a few threads and have now decided against those. So do tell, hair nets? Do you pull it up the lip of the basket from the outside, or tuck inside and up over the lip? (I note that above that chiefwej says "lining", but I don't like to assume, any instructions are appreciated!)

Hello - We have a terrible problem with pollen - despite our screen cage - so my husband has me researching the vortex systems to enhance the skimmer. I just read a few threads and have now decided against those. So do tell, hair nets? Do you pull it up the lip of the basket from the outside, or tuck inside and up over the lip? (I note that above that chiefwej says "lining", but I don't like to assume, any instructions are appreciated!)

Inside of skimmer basket and then over lip. If you do it on the outside, you run risk of skimmer sucking hair net into your pipes.

Attachments

• 6A416284-0768-4A38-89AE-BC26F36F2460.png
    6A416284-0768-4A38-89AE-BC26F36F2460.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: SueBSouth
So do tell, hair nets?
Hair nets work. Many have specific Amazon products they buy in bulk and replace each time. Me personally, I go to the big box store and get a 2-pack of 1-Gallon paint strainers. I pull it out each day, slap it again the fence to knock off any bugs and junk, then put it back it. One strainer will last me months. But to each their own. Some simply like to grab & toss away. Either way, you definately want one. They look something like this:

full

Hair nets work. Many have specific Amazon products they buy in bulk and replace each time. Me personally, I go to the big box store and get a 2-pack of 1-Gallon paint strainers. I pull it out each day, slap it again the fence to knock off any bugs and junk, then put it back it. One strainer will last me months. But to each their own. Some simply like to grab & toss away. Either way, you definately want one. They look something like this:

full
Oh, that is awesome! I know just where I am headed today...yeah, I like this idea, it doesn't "strain" the budget or the environment :LOL: Thank you so very much!!

Reactions: tstex and SueBSouth
I’ve tried both and the hair nets strain finer than paint strainers. They also have the advantage of costing less, at $8 per 100 (or $53 for 1,000 for lifetime supply) you just toss them away. No cleaning needed. You need never touch all the debris and gunk.

I wonder if there's a difference between the ones you point to and these
other than price.

There doesn’t seem to be any difference between any of the many different ones, I just buy the cheapest ones I can find. One use and thrown away anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I took my filters out after our " bad" pollen season ( we shatter records here ) . In Georgia for a Ascorbic treatment and decided to rinse them off..Had some pollen seeds but not the normal yellow junk so the skimmer socks are helping a LOT..I change mine every couple of days and just add a new one

Skimmer socks are something very different from the hair nets. They are sold in pool stores, are much more expensive and thus not disposable.

I reuse the hair nets a few times, just rinse them off in the hose. I'm not sure which is less environmentally friendly, landfill each hairnet or using perfectly potable water to rinse them out.
You're overthinking this...most of what is in the hair net is 100% organic and the hair net will decompose w no residual. Since your re-depositing in the ground what came from the ground, you are really just composting...

Great tip on the hairnets for skimmers! I'm ordering mine today. Two questions:
- Will the hairnets reduce the amount of debris that goes into my DE filter, thus reducing backwash frequency, or do they just make it more convenient for emptying the skimmer basket?
- Is there a similar product for pump baskets (the basket in front of the impeller)?

Thanks...

They will definitely reduce debris going into your filter.
I use the paint strainers, every saturday I clean them thoroughly.
It was all caked up with pollen this past weekend.

Probably not a good idea to put one in the pump basket itself.
Plus the one in your skimmer is already doing the work.

I now only clean my DE filter once a year, whether it needs it or not. That’s the kind of difference it can make.

Reactions: DanF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.