Skimmer and return

Rayraynj

In The Industry
Nov 28, 2021
New Jersey
I am constructing a in ground Gunite pool 15x28 arond 15,000 gallons. Question is if I install 2 skimmers how many returns should I have. Some people are telling me 6 and others say only 4?

Heater is 400 BTU
Filter 320
Pump 2 HP
IC40

Thank you!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

3 to 4 returns is plenty for a typical rectangular pool.

What is the shape you are building?

Reactions: Rayraynj
Ray,

I like the idea that each "wall" of the pool needs a Return.. Easy to do for a rectangular pool, but the same basic idea applies to any shape pool..

I don't see what the number of skimmers has to do with the number of Returns.. :scratch: As a minimum, I like two skimmers and 4 returns. Each skimmer is connected back to the equipment pad with its own Jandy valve.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ray,

I like the idea that each "wall" of the pool needs a Return.. Easy to do for a rectangular pool, but the same basic idea applies to any shape pool..

I don't see what the number of skimmers has to do with the number of Returns.. :scratch: As a minimum, I like two skimmers and 4 returns. Each skimmer is connected back to the equipment pad with its own Jandy valve.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ok thank you! It is a rectangle shape. This is my first pool I am contructioning.

I am constructing an in ground pool in NJ and was quoted 3,000 to rebar on a 15x28 size pool which seems to be reasonable (2x bench and steps) My question is around the plumbing costs. I was quoted $4,300 for two skimmers, 4 return and two main drains with relief valves. Is this a reasonable cost which includes PVC and fittings? This does not include the hook up to the equipment which I thought it did.

I am constructing an in ground pool in NJ and was quoted 3,000 to rebar on a 15x28 size pool which seems to be reasonable (2x bench and steps) My question is around the plumbing costs. I was quoted $4,300 for two skimmers, 4 return and two main drains with relief valves. Is this a reasonable cost which includes PVC and fittings? This does not include the hook up to the equipment which I thought it did.

Let’s see what @jimmythegreek says.

Can we assume the main drain has its own home run to the equipment pad and the same goes for the skimmers each with a home run to the pad. Skimmers and MD need to be minimum 2" pvc all the way to the pad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.