Should I clean the pool now or wait till Spring?

I looked at your pictures. Is the pump running?

The filter pressure gauge reads 10 psi. If the pump is off the pressure should be 0. If the pump is off and the gauge is not 0 then the gauge is broken.

it does not look like water is flowing through your clear SWG.

You need to look in the skimmers and see if they are plugged. You need to find the circuit breakers for the pump and SWG and see if they are off. Look inside the timer box by the equipment and see if it is running and how the trips are set.

It is difficult to tell what is going on with the valves you have and the way they are set. The pump and heater have drain plugs. You should locate them and see if they have been removed for the winter.

Reactions: svtcobra
I looked at your pictures. Is the pump running?

The filter pressure gauge reads 10 psi. If the pump is off the pressure should be 0. If the pump is off and the gauge is not 0 then the gauge is broken.

it does not look like water is flowing through your clear SWG.

You need to look in the skimmers and see if they are plugged. You need to find the circuit breakers for the pump and SWG and see if they are off. Look inside the timer box by the equipment and see if it is running and how the trips are set.

It is difficult to tell what is going on with the valves you have and the way they are set. The pump and heater have drain plugs. You should locate them and see if they have been removed for the winter.
Thanks! Nothing was running as far as I could see. The circuit breaker was on should I flip it to off(labeled Pool)? Any chance you could please send me a sample picture of what the skimmer is? I couldn't really confirm.

The skimmer should be a white square or rectangle that is just under the coping (part of the deck that what you walk on that is right on the edge of the pool). The skimmer should have tile on either side of it. There should be a round cover in the decking that you can lift up and look down inside the skimmer. There should be a basket in it to keep leaves and stuff from doing down the pipes to the pump. The basket may be removed if it was winterized.

The skimmer should be a white square or rectangle that is just under the coping (part of the deck that what you walk on that is right on the edge of the pool). The skimmer should have tile on either side of it. There should be a round cover in the decking that you can lift up and look down inside the skimmer. There should be a basket in it to keep leaves and stuff from doing down the pipes to the pump. The basket may be removed if it was winterized.
I'll take a look tomorrow thanks

Look for one or two rectangular openings on the side of the pool. See the pic below. See in the pic the round plastic cover a bit behind the opening? Yours maybe round or square.

Make note or take a pic of the water level by the skimmer opening. Is it below the opening or somewhere in the middle of the opening?

Pull up the round or square cover and take a pic of what you find inside.

Also open the rectangular metal timer box by the pool equipment and take pics of the inside. Once we see that we will say if you should turn the pool CB off.

CB2A6662-ADC6-4DE5-9436-2681EA5A94AC.jpeg

Look for one or two rectangular openings on the side of the pool. See the pic below. See in the pic the round plastic cover a bit behind the opening? Yours maybe round or square.

Make note or take a pic of the water level by the skimmer opening. Is it below the opening or somewhere in the middle of the opening?

Pull up the round or square cover and take a pic of what you find inside.

Also open the rectangular metal timer box by the pool equipment and take pics of the inside. Once we see that we will say if you should turn the pool CB off.

View attachment 123506
Got it! I'll look for this today. Is this the box you wanted me to open?

Attachments

• 20191205_153905.jpg
    20191205_153905.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 6
View attachment 123516

The box you posted is your SWG control box. Circled above is your pump timer box.
Thanks flying l found the skimmers thanks to you. 2 skimmers for the pool one for the jacuzzi but no top opening for the jacuzzi

Attachments

• 20191207_151127.jpg
    20191207_151127.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20191207_150917.jpg
    20191207_150917.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20191207_151031.jpg
    20191207_151031.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20191207_151007.jpg
    20191207_151007.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 28
You are doing great finding your way around your new pool. A few observations:

All the ON and OFF toggles have been removed from the timer. I would still turn the POOL CB OFF until when you open the pool in the Spring. You will have to find the toggles to enable the timer when you open the pool.

That timer is rusting out and you should plan on replacing it soon.

The skimmers have plugs in them. So it looks like the pool has been winterized.

I hope you realized when you bought the house that the pool will require significant renovations in the next few years. From the pics you have posted it looks like there are issues with various pool equipment, the pool surfaces, and the deck. We can discuss what your plans are in the Spring after you move in and get settled.

You are doing great finding your way around your new pool. A few observations:

All the ON and OFF toggles have been removed from the timer. I would still turn the POOL CB OFF until when you open the pool in the Spring. You will have to find the toggles to enable the timer when you open the pool.

That timer is rusting out and you should plan on replacing it soon.

The skimmers have plugs in them. So it looks like the pool has been winterized.

I hope you realized when you bought the house that the pool will require significant renovations in the next few years. From the pics you have posted it looks like there are issues with various pool equipment, the pool surfaces, and the deck. We can discuss what your plans are in the Spring after you move in and get settled.
Awesome thanks for the help. The house was "as is" so I didn't even expect the pool to be winterized which I was freaking out about in October. But my realtor said I couldn't winterize it or do anything until the closing. The deck I'm going to replace it looks unsafe to walk on. But otherwise I had no clue about how bad the pool might be in terms of condition. There are quite a few projects on the house I need to work on before we move in but I really want learn how to take care of the pool so my kids can have huge smiles on their face in the summer. They hate the house and love our current house so I've been selling them on the pool but can't fool them. They saw the brown water and they all said "yuck". Haha but Im patient and willing to learn and do what it takes to get it back to normal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As it seems the pool is winterized. Make sure all circuit breakers for the pool are "off". My advice to you is don't let anyone into the pool area to mess with pool or the plumbing. The valves and such have been set on way or another and moving them now can be detrimental come spring with broken pipes and the like. I would use the time now to do nothing except read the pool school and yet some. In early spring get the recommended pool test kit, TF-100 and a k1766 salinity test kit as it's obvious there's a swg incorporated somewhere in the plumbing. Get the house work done winter time as there's plenty of a learning curve here with the pool come spring.

As it seems the pool is winterized. Make sure all circuit breakers for the pool are "off". My advice to you is don't let anyone into the pool area to mess with pool or the plumbing. The valves and such have been set on way or another and moving them now can be detrimental come spring with broken pipes and the like. I would use the time now to do nothing except read the pool school and yet some. In early spring get the recommended pool test kit, TF-100 and a k1766 salinity test kit as it's obvious there's a swg incorporated somewhere in the plumbing. Get the house work done winter time as there's plenty of a learning curve here with the pool come spring.
Thanks so much for for the circuit breaker reminder! Sounds like a plan.

The good news is those pictures appear to show winterization was done. If it was me I would drain the pool down just enough so you can see the returns to be sure they are plugged (if your pool is not frozen solid already). If they are not plugged or you loosen the plugs and pink anti-freeze does NOT ooze out, you need to get those lines blown out and anti-freeze put in them ASAP.

I would watch lots of online youtube videos on pool maintenance to get familiar with pool equipment and techniques. Pool School is a must read on this site as other have said.

In the spring I would get a qualified electrician to inspect the pool equipment first (to ensure no grounds or shorts are in those neglected power boxes) then get a reputable pool equipment dealer to go over the equipment to ensure your pump, Salt Water Generator, and filter are functioning and can help you clear the water once you are ready to SLAM.

The good news is those pictures appear to show winterization was done. If it was me I would drain the pool down just enough so you can see the returns to be sure they are plugged (if your pool is not frozen solid already). If they are not plugged or you loosen the plugs and pink anti-freeze does NOT ooze out, you need to get those lines blown out and anti-freeze put in them ASAP.
SORRY BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
YOU NEED TO DO ABSOLUTLY NOTHING NOW.LEAVE GOOD ENOUGH ALONE.

Reactions: svtcobra and ajw22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.