*Shallow end, being shocked when grabbing railing*

The freaking junction box is located under my driveway. They are knocking on everyone's door to see if they can turn off the power and pull meters then working on the main bus.
Oof
I was wondering if a letter from his attorney to all the utilities would get their 'A teams' out to the property. What do you think?
Probably not. It would be sent to their counsel who would tell them to stop work/communication and then would sit on it for a month or longer. Lawyers slow EVERYTHING down.

Probably not. It would be sent to their counsel who would tell them to stop work/communication and then would sit on it for a month or longer. Lawyers slow EVERYTHING down.
A foreman came into a room an apprentice and I were working. Clapped his hands loudly and proclaimed "we need to step it up in here."

I dropped my tools to the floor and as they clanged around I stated "If you don't like this speed you're not going to like the next one."

He left the room quietly...

Note that you don't have to have power lines traversing your yard for the yard to be energized. If the neighbor's yard is energized, there is a good chance yours will be as well. Any exposed AC power line underground nearby will generate current to each house via the earth ground to the neutral. The voltage level will be dependent on the distance from the voltage source to each houses ground point much like a voltage divider. You may be getting only 2v because you are some distance from the actual source of the problem.
Maybe the construction that was recently done on the highway, or the neighbors on the other street behind my house? Hopefully engineering will be able to get into the thick of it.
Were both of your next door neighbors two of the four houses that had the meters pulled?
Yes, they were.

Maybe the construction that was recently done on the highway, or the neighbors on the other street behind my house?
Yes, as long as there isn't another grounding rod between the source and your grounding rod. The probability of location gets higher the further away from a grounding rod you get. And by grounding rod, I mean a grounding rod that is connected to mains neutral.

So if you drew a line from your grounding rod to the pool's railing and extended it forward, it is likely to be in that direction away from the grounding rod. Of course, it could also be at an angle off that line but probably not more than 90 degrees.

Reactions: gamerfan2004
Including my house, 4 homes are on the transformer across the street. They removed each house meter, solar off, turned off the house from the transformer.... 40mV on neutral and nothing on common.
Did they shut off all power going out of the transformer?

Maybe the lines going into the transformer are leaking?

Did you map out the yard for voltage differences?

Yes, as long as there isn't another grounding rod between the source and your grounding rod. The probability of location gets higher the further away from a grounding rod you get. And by grounding rod, I mean a grounding rod that is connected to mains neutral.

So if you drew a line from your grounding rod to the pool's railing and extended it forward, it is likely to be in that direction away from the grounding rod. Of course, it could also be at an angle off that line but probably not more than 90 degrees.
Going in that direction leads to the retention pond and to the highway.

Reactions: mas985
Did they shut off all power going out of the transformer?

Maybe the lines going into the transformer are leaking?

Did you map out the yard for voltage differences?
Yes, they turn off the 4 houses from that transformer. It's possible that it's leaking because it we'll need to see what engineering says.

I do apologize, I haven't been able to do the yard voltage mapping. I may run out to the retention pond area and next to the highway to get voltage reading later this week 🤭😁

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure why, but I suspect that the retention pond has some sort of connection to the issue.

If mapping the yard does not provide any definite clues, maybe dig down in a few areas to see if you hit water and test the voltage from the deep ground to see if it is higher.

Reactions: Newdude
^^^^^. Since James mentioned it a few pages back I’ve been thinking that the water would in theory exasperate another issue making the nearly impossible be slightly more possible.

Sumps / retention areas get put where they get put for a reason, Because all the runoff water will collect there being a low spot. The immediate surrounding are is equally as low and would flood without them. They get installed to somewhat control the flood, but they won’t totally irradiate any other water that wasn’t funneled there, so I have a good feeling the surrounding yards are at the very least damp, if not full of water a few inches/feet down.

Usually they plan the neighborhood around them, but sometimes they are added after the fact once something changes, like re-grading of a large highway.

I'll hopefully be able to accomplish some ground mapping this weekend. BTW, I removed the ladder in the deep end. The bottoms of the anchors are gone! They have been eaten away and the rest of the anchor looks like the shallow end.

I am actually thinking it is electrolytic corrosion from the offending voltage causing it.. I have seen ladders on here after 10 years and asking about rust specs and not completely rusted out... I am almost 100% sure this has been asked but we are up to 23 pages, Do your lights (if you have lights) look shiny still or do they look rusted and dingy looking?

I am actually thinking it is electrolytic corrosion from the offending voltage causing it.. I have seen ladders on here after 10 years and asking about rust specs and not completely rusted out... I am almost 100% sure this has been asked but we are up to 23 pages, Do your lights (if you have lights) look shiny still or do they look rusted and dingy looking?
The light still looks new, with no corrosion.

Reactions: cowboycasey
The anchors are aluminum, so they will essentially be a sacrificial anode for everything else on the bonding grid.

The stray current is probably causing accelerated corrosion.
I knew you had mentioned this previously, and that's what I suspected as well; I just wanted to double-check because they are worse than the shallow end anchors. I have a feeling this stray voltage has been here for some time. 🤬

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.