*Shallow end, being shocked when grabbing railing*

@gamerfan2004 , when the power co cut power to the neighborhood and the shock went away, was that just at the transformer closest to the house? If so, that probably only shut off power to you and your neighbors. The line behind the house at the intersection would most likely be on a different node.
They were working on a transformer located on the highway, not in the neighborhood; the entire neighborhood was out.

Reactions: mas985
811 request has been submitted. I noticed this on their final page of submission:

SAFE WORK CLEARANCE: You may carefully "hand" dig around the marked lines. Do not use mechanized/electric/power equipment within:

• Maryland Excavation: 18 inches of the marked lines
  • Delaware Excavation: 24 inches of the marked lines
Once the lines are sprayed, I'll get the ball rolling on having the PC come out to turn off the power.

811 came out and everything checks out. Absolutely NOTHING runs through the backyard. All electric runs over to the side of the house under the driveway. From the driveway, the line stops 7 feet from the edge of the curb and runs around the cul-de-sac to the transformer.

Also, the PC will be on their way out today. I'm going to ask them to lift their neutral.

Last edited:
PC came out, I explained everything. He said that he can't lift his neutral because it would mess stuff up, and he's only here to check to see if we have good voltage 🤣👎🤦. I explained that we pulled our neutral from the meter to our panel and still had voltage. He said, "Ah, okay. I'm calling out a team right now to check for ground faults. Let's hope it's not under concrete."

So there we are, a ground fault team has been dispatched and hopefully they'll be out here today.

No worries about the 811, it's better to be safe.

Reactions: Newdude
My only other thought would be to have them search for the bleed off voltage that your seeing and not the electricute-y kind. If they are looking for 100/200/300 they’d go right by it with green lights on their testers/meters

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We officially stumped the power company!

Including my house, 4 homes are on the transformer across the street. They removed each house meter, solar off, turned off the house from the transformer.... 40mV on neutral and nothing on common.

Yet, we still had 2VAC at the pool to the anchors!

We officially stumped the crew who came out.

It's being evelated up to engineering for further review. I'll need to keep calling them to stay on their radar.

I told them the only time it fully went away is when we had a power outage. They had another job to go to so it concluded with a big ❓ from that team.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: HeyEng and JamesW
We officially stumped the power company
It’s still progress that you got their attention and have them looking for the freak kinda thing it might be.

Like your most unassuming neighbor with an illegal tap running a Bitcoin mining operation. :ROFLMAO:

Note that you don't have to have power lines traversing your yard for the yard to be energized. If the neighbor's yard is energized, there is a good chance yours will be as well. Any exposed AC power line underground nearby will generate current to each house via the earth ground to the neutral. The voltage level will be dependent on the distance from the voltage source to each houses ground point much like a voltage divider. You may be getting only 2v because you are some distance from the actual source of the problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.