Semi in ground 12x24 intex

tlikos

Jan 9, 2019
Leland, NC
First of all this forum is great. I've always been a pool/beach bum and now that I own a house it's time to make a statement with an ultimate (budget) pool and patio setup. I was able to get a great deal on the ultra frame 12x24x52 with sand pump and will be going the salt water route. The plan is to drop it about half way in ground and build a split level deck around it. Plans include grill/prep area with a sink, a bar, a cooler holder built in to the edge of the deck, curtains surrounding the deck and a few other unique features. I'm open to any and all suggestions for all parts of the project especially drainage. I am trying to do this ultra low budget because for one i'm not rich and 2 I like defying the odds and building things for way less than anyone would expect.

Attachments

• 5141473698846743343.jpg
    5141473698846743343.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 9004328765142272047.jpg
    9004328765142272047.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 48
Well hello there! Cute crew you have there!! Like to see a kid helping out! Builds character!

Semi in ground Intex-interesting idea. I do worry about the fabric and metal not standing up to the moisture of dirt being right by it. I don't want you to go to all of the work of building a deck then having the pool fail after a year or so.

Ideas:
-a trench with drain pipes in it to move the water/moisture away from the walls and legs. Not sure how well that will work.
-NOT bury it at all. Build the deck around the pool with a pretty skirting to "hide" the pool.

Kim:kim:

Thanks and yes my girl has been a big help in most projects I do. She gets to help daddy and I get free labor, win win :)

I plan to not back fill the hole so there will not be dirt against the pool/liner and plan to slope the edge of the hole and add gravel so it will hopefully drain away and not under.

Hole is half way done and by hand at that so too late to not bury it lol.

Thank you for the advice!!! That's exactly what i'm looking for with this post is to get feedback and bounce ideas off of people.

Half way done?? Yeah it is going in! LOL

I like the slope idea BUT great care has to be taken that it does not slope so the pool bottom can "slide" down it!

Lets talk ground prep:
-dig down to virgin ground. Trying to build up a low spot does not end well. The weight of the water will push it down or out.
-leg supports-paving blocks or such work good. The bigger the better in case the legs sift. They must be level with the ground.

The worry I have with any kind of way of blocking water from coming in is that it will also keep the water from coming out from under the pool. It is going to be a puzzle that has to fit together very well to work. Keep the ideas coming. I bet we will come up with something very workable together!

I did the same thing several years ago and it works great. Since any water in the hole can't drain away, you need to make sure the dirt in the bottom is very porous. There will be spills. Water will splash out of the pool. You'll forget you have the hose running to add water to the pool and you'll overfill it. If you don't factor in allowing the water to be absorbed quickly, you'll find your support legs in the water. It's important you have good support for your legs-- Intex recommends pressure
treated wood, rather than concrete blocks. I used 3 2x6x15" blocks on each leg. I would also use some foam under the pool itself. 1" is adequate.
That's a lot of digging by hand! 50 years ago I might have done something similar. Now I'd rent a backhoe, or a Bobcat.
Good luck.

pool deck.jpg

Attachments

• under deck.jpg
    under deck.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 58
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.