Seem to be using a lot of stabilizer

Also before you added your acid you said your pH was higher, 7.8 or maybe higher. I believe meant to say it might hang around 8 for a few days before you add acid.

At a pH of 8 assuming a 90 degree pool temp, your CSI is .39. That is why you are getting flakes.
Well you are right. I have always used 7.8 as it usually right between 7.8 and 8. It never really looks 7.8 or 8. So I call it 7.8. The color difference gets me. I don’t use strips only in a pinch and those are worse for PH. Maybe I need to get a electronic PH tester. Or just error at 8 and add based on that. My PH was better when I didn’t have to run salt cell for 12 hours. With the increase of chlorine I wonder if I should leave my % up and drop my hours back to 10. I had never entered my Ph into the CSI app at 8 until tonight and the difference between 7.8 and 8 was huge. Only thing I hadn’t tried in my trouble shooting. Funny thing is my calcium was way worse, TA was worse and didn’t have the issue

Last edited:
Well since you did not do a SLAM try running on the high side for a few weeks. See what happens.
Yea I just left it since it was steady climbing. This is the most I have ever seen this cell produce. That’s why I held up on chlorine I am curious if it keeps going without adding anything. 65% for 12 hours. A few months ago couldn’t get it to make that at 85%. Going to push my Ph down more often, thanks for that advice also. Still gong to buy chlorine to have if this rise doesn’t continue.

Ok. So we were steadily coming up on chlorine. Since the non chlorine shock. So I turned off cell for 24. Stayed at 9. So I set cell to 25% and I went up in 1 in 24 so sitting At 9. This am still 9. Put pump time to 9 hours and left cell at 25. Turned off for the afternoon to see what happens. It looks like the chlorine making issue is maybe fixed. I still have the flakes and now watching PH every other day. This am I added 16oz. Below are results from today. My only concern is if my CH tests are correct. I keep getting from 300-375 in the past few tests. Today you see I went down. However both pool stores put me between 400-440 and one at 450-550. Either I am way off or they are.

FC-9
CC-0
PH-8
TA-100
CH-275
CYA-70

the non chlorine shock I Used doesn’t appear to be “MPS” it was Salinity Surge Shock and after that it seemed to fix the chlorine level issue pool is perfectly sparkling with exception of some of the flakes my test after adding PH was right about 7.2. Looking at my previous results I had saved I am usually at 7.8-7.9. Going to maybe buy electronic tester.
Pool builder wanted me to turn off system let pool go to zero for a few days and then adjust with chlorine to 3. I can’t bring myself to let it get to zero. So I just lowered everything and watching. The system for sure seems to be making the chlorine similar to before this all started now.
no algae tests holding. So I have no idea What this salinity surge shock is exactly but it seemed to be the key that unlocked the chlorine. Or by chance the system controller just decided to work.
Weird stuff and I am just curious. I am now going to try to focus only on the TFP methods solely now that I seem to be back running and know to watch my PH more regularly.

Do you still have the bag from this magic 'shock'? I looked it up but cannot get a good picture of the ingredients. The description implies a non-chlorine product so MPS is typically the chemical used. It also implies it might have dichlor in it.

Regardless, chlorine is what is needed. All the magic in the world will not surpass chlorine.

Do you still have the bag from this magic 'shock'? I looked it up but cannot get a good picture of the ingredients. The description implies a non-chlorine product so MPS is typically the chemical used. It also implies it might have dichlor in it.

Regardless, chlorine is what is needed. All the magic in the world will not surpass chlorine.

No I am going to the store and going to read it. I know that chlorine is needed and never intend to not use that. What I am saying is I have not been able to build or chlorine for awhile and had to run my salt cell over 50% and for 12 hours to keep it at 4-5 on a good day. The next morning after adding this stuff the chlorine started building and went to 16.5 in no time. I turned off cell for 24 hours and it landed around 10. So I set cell to 25% and turned it back on and gained 1ppm in a couple hours. So today I put pump back to 9 hours and left cell at 25 to see if it climbs still.
What I don’t understand is I can’t find info on this stuff either and even searched for a MSDS sheet on it and no luck. How to this non chlorine stuff that I don’t remember saying the MPS on it. Unlock my chlorine? I remember the package saying it would raise chlorine by 1ppm for 10g pool so I figured I would go up 1.5 maybe 2. Didn’t think it would shoot to 16.5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It will not say 'MPS' It will say mono-sodium persulfate. Or something like it.

I suspect you had algae. Did you follow the SLAM Process?

yes sir I know the abbreviation for it. I don’t remember see it on the bag. So I was going to follow slam and the next day go and get the chlorine to make it happen but when the chlorine started climbing on its own I was pretty sure I was good. As I passed a overnight test also. So once I hit 16.5 I figured well it keeps climbing. Even after off for 24 I didn’t lose nearly as much as I expected. When I turned it back on I jumped back up one quickly. Flakes are gone when the cell is off so I am working on PH pretty hard.

Just a little update for anyone who still cares.
I have been holding chlorine very well at 25% on cell. Have been loosing about a half each day. I know it’s a little low now but I waited awhile to adjust to see how low it would keep going. Today I set it to 30% to see if it will begin to climb some. We have had a lot of rain so I am pretty pleased that things are holding and the pool looks great. This is as low as I have ever gotten my TA and I am not sure how i got it that low. I did add acid last Saturday and on Wednesday to keep my PH below 7.8 to see if I could keep the flakes out so far the flakes appear gone. I am going to try and keep Ph around 7.5 but don’t want my TA to go much lower. Try to keep my chlorine around 6. Wife feels itchy if I let it get much above 5-6.
have been watching it like a hawk as I was afraid that whatever that salinity surge shock was going to wear off and drop me out. Things seem to be holding way better than ever now. Hopefully I can now keep it that way.
FC-4
CC-0
PH-7.8
Salt-3200
CH-300
TA-80
CYA-60
CSI-.02

Reactions: mknauss
Not bad. I would bump CYA to 70, then keep your FC at 6. It will hold better and give you a little room.

Not bad. I would bump CYA to 70, then keep your FC at 6. It will hold better and give you a little room.
Yep! I have cya ready just didn’t have time to get it in. Hoping it will rise back up to 6. I left it set to 25% for a while to see how quick it drifted down. So I have bumped it up some now so I can see if it climbs like normal. Want to be up before we get the buckets of rain.

I would also keep your FC a little higher as well as a buffer. Or keep some LC around and dump a little in after people swim. You want to live a little on the high side to avoid another outbreak.

At a CYA of 70 your wife will not notice FC level of 7 - 10. My wife has very sensitive skin and says she complains about high chlorine, but if I keep the CYA at 70 or above never a peep out of her.

I would also keep your FC a little higher as well as a buffer. Or keep some LC around and dump a little in after people swim. You want to live a little on the high side to avoid another outbreak.

At a CYA of 70 your wife will not notice FC level of 7 - 10. My wife has very sensitive skin and says she complains about high chlorine, but if I keep the CYA at 70 or above never a peep out of her.

I wish I could like this 💯 times. I do exactly that - keep LC on hand to bump after swimming.

Also, use LC to get your FC where you want it, then let the SWG maintain.

We hosted a pizza pool party yesterday. First thing I did was test my water. 9 FC. Then I dumped a gallon of 10.5% in.

At that point, do what you want, spill what you want in my pool. I will scoop it out later and run the robot and my pool is perfect today.

So after adding the stuff I described above earlier I stayed really level on chlorine for a month. Stayed at 4 and left my CYA stay around 40-50. So in prep for a little more swimming I bumped my cell from 35-45% for a day or so. The level began to drop. I hit the super chlorinate switch to keep it up. So I added a quart of liquid stabilizer to bring me back to 50-60. Chlorine the next day was 0.5ppm. So thinking I grabbed the bag of Di-Chlor, to boost me up I actually grabbed the bag of Non chlorine (MPS) and dropped it in. With in an hour I was at 4.5ppm and when pump shut down at 7:30 that night I found the pool to be at 6.5ppm. This morning at 8:30 I found it at 3.5ppm. I plan to boost the chlorine manually just couldn’t do it yesterday as I couldn’t get chlorine. My confusion is how does a bag of non chlorine shock (fresh and clear) actually end up raising my chlorine, this happened last time. My chlorine was only 0 for a few hours so hoping I am good.
plan to add the chlor brite Di-chlor today. I feel there is a issue with my salt system as it seems a small adjustment seems to throw everything out of whack. Pool is crystal clear and well balanced otherwise. No funk seen anywhere. I brush the pool weekly and have been diligent at keeping my PH below 7.8 and my TA has been hanging at 80.
this pool has me so confused and complicated

Just pure speculation, but I would think it could be algae. You have been keeping it at bay with the FC of 4 and CYA of 50. When you bumped up the CYA to 60, that tied up a bit more of the chlorine and caused the algae to get a bit ahead which then dropped your chlorine to 0.

Get your FC up to 5 using liquid chlorine and then do an OCLT to see if you truly have algae. If you do, skip the non-chlorine shock and dichlor and use liquid chlorine to do a proper SLAM to completely kill the algae this time.

I was wondering if I just keep being just at the edge but for several days last time my chlorine just kept going up to almost 18. After using the other stuff this time I climbed but dropped some last night. I plan to buy some liquid chlorine again. I just can’t explain the sudden drop and then rise. Makes sense though that I was boarder line and the adding of a small amount of stabilizer pushed it over. I am about to just buy a 55 gallon drum of chlorine and throw this salt system away. After being told I would never need chlorine and how easy it would be and cheap. It has been nothing but difficult

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.