Screen Logic Networking Issue

cobolstinks

Jan 4, 2023
Saint Augustine FL
Hello,

Brand new to pool ownership and we finally finished our pool construction project. I'm having some issues with ScreenLogic though. I have ATT Fiber for internet. My ATT modem is capable of routing but I have an Orbi mesh, so I configured the ATT modem to be in bridge modem and delegate all routing to my Orbi. My Orbi router's network starts at 10.0.0.1, whereas my ATT modem is at 192.168.1.254 and has an ip range from 192.168.1.64 - 253. When I plug the cat5 from the the screen logic protocol adapter brick into my ATT modem's ethernet ports, I can connect remotely to it in the iOS app, but its not found in the local connections.
I'd like to get my PA brick behind my Orbi so that it can be with the rest of my home network and I can look at using Alexa to control it, etc. But when I connect my PA ethernet into the back of my Orbi I can't connect to it at all. It seems like its not able to do DHCP with my Orbi because it's probably got a default gateway in the 192.168.1. range? How do I change the protocol adapter so it can join my 10.0.0.1 range?
I've searched the forum and I see people reference a "Configure IP Address" button, but I don't see that either in the iOS screenlogic connect app nor the android version. Where and how do I update the IP configuration of my screen logic PA brick?

I don’t have screen logic but maybe able to help with the network side. You mentioned putting your ATT modem in bridge mode, that “ should “ only provide a public IP.
If you look on rhe Orbi what is the internet IP?
Maybe be missing something but thinking the ATT modem doesn’t know how to route to a 10. Address or how to NAT it?
I have Comcast in bridge mode so ATT might be different

My modem is 192.168.1.254 my router is 10.0.0.1. my router's external address is 99. 58.207.xxx. I don't think this a NAT issue because I have ~30 devices connected to my router and I can Netflix, YouTube internet all day through the router and modem.

When I plug my PA brick into my modem and look at it's connected devices I can see my PA brick has an address of 192.168.1.80. is this device pre configured to work on a 192.168.1.* network? How do I assign it a 10.0.0.* address so my orbi can route it?

My modem is 192.168.1.254 my router is 10.0.0.1. my router's external address is 99. 58.207.xxx. I don't think this a NAT issue because I have ~30 devices connected to my router and I can Netflix, YouTube internet all day through the router and modem.

When I plug my PA brick into my modem and look at it's connected devices I can see my PA brick has an address of 192.168.1.80. is this device pre configured to work on a 192.168.1.* network? How do I assign it a 10.0.0.* address so my orbi can route it?
Yea I wondered if other stuff worked or if was new but didn't want to assume :)
I follow you now, it does sound like it's setup to work on that 192.168.1

I ran into the same issue trying to configure ScreenLogic behind my Google Mesh system. I had to use the web client running on a computer to do it. That interface provided the “configure IP address “ function. Right now I am traveling, so, unfortunately cannot provide more detail. Perhaps @Dirk has more advice…

Reactions: markayash
Screenlogic uses an ancient chipset that does not work well with mesh routers.

You are not likely to get it to work through your bridged network with two different IP subnets.

The best answer folks have found is to put an old simple router on their network that runs DHCP with a 192.168.0.XXX subnet that they connect Screenlogic to.

Screenlogic uses an ancient chipset that does not work well with mesh routers.

You are not likely to get it to work through your bridged network with two different IP subnets.

The best answer folks have found is to put an old simple router on their network that runs DHCP with a 192.168.0.XXX subnet that they connect Screenlogic to.
wouldn't this cause requests to and from my PA brick to be double NAT'd?

wouldn't this cause requests to and from my PA brick to be double NAT'd?
Yes it will but it works.

It is a technique to secure and partition subnetworks. You have to connect any devices that will communicate with the ET to its simple router network.

Sorry, beyond me. Sounds like Allen knows what's what.

I hardwire everything except my iPads, all on the same network (192.x). I don't own a single device (and I have dozens) that doesn't allow a static IP. No DHCP for me. I do have a DHCP range set up, for visitors, but I limit the range and keep that set of address numbers well away from the numbers I use for static. My home automation devices are on an RF mesh, but I don't even know if my WiFi is mesh. I'm not even sure what that is. I have one WiFi router that "talks" to a second, for whole-house coverage. I bought them as a pair. Is that a mesh network? I have about seven WiFi devices, everything else is wired.

Can't imagine that is of any help, but that's what works for me.

If possible, I would get rid of the 10.x stuff and stick with 192.x throughout. Managing both seems like a problem. I configured my ScreenLogic with a static IP using the ScreenLogic application running on MacOS. It no longer runs on the latest version of MacOS, but I can still run it on a very old Mac OS running on VMWare. Let me know if you need any help in that arena.

If you're on Windows, try configuring ScreenLogic using the desktop version for Windows.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.