SC Pool Build

Gibby13

Jul 12, 2019
Elgin, SC
Latest edit:
Updated sketch of backyard
Updated pool drawing
Updated info of the pool

This is our first pool build(Had a large intex above ground salt water pool for 4 years or so at old house). Been working towards this for about 7 years and have been browsing this forum for a few years, so I'll get right to it.

Vinyl Pool: 20'x44' sports bottom(3' water depth on the sides and 5' 8" water depth in the middle) with 20'x7' sundeck (1' wide 1st step, 5' wide 2nd step 10" water depth, 1' wide 3rd step into the rest of the pool)
Gallons: 21k-24k
Equipment: Pentair
  • Intellicenter 521905-IC60
  • IntelliFlo 011028 VS 3HP
  • Clean & Clear 160332 520 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter

Rough layout of where it will go:

1582904924099.png

Pool Drawing
1582905238487.png
1582905263209.png

* Below here is from when we were getting quotes, before we chose to go with Quote #2. No more edits below here.

Quote 1(Have asked for the cost to upgrade to IC-60 and Intellicenter):
Edit 1: Only $600 to upgrade to IC-60 and Intellicenter.
Edit 2: He "misread" my email and it was $600 just to go to IC-60. Was $1100 to go to Intellicenter
Edit 2: Updated quote
1582214355965.png

Quote 2:
- I have requested upgrade to intellicenter and cartridge filter.
- This does not include any concrete. He thinks I could get better pricing for that then through them. So have 3 places coming out for concrete quotes.
- He also extended the tanning ledge, said it was not much of a price difference.

1581867334779.png

Quote 3:
- I have not researched the Hayward equipment at all yet.
1582057587826.png

Attachments

• 1581697514955.png
    1581697514955.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 1581698124856.png
    1581698124856.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 1582904210281.png
    1582904210281.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Get IntelliCenter instead of EasyTouch and Screen Logic. It’s Penair’s latest automation product vs one that’s based on old tech. Should be about the same price. My favorite party trick is turning on my water feature from my Apple Watch!

***I see your edit. I would get the IC60 and IntelliCenter for $600.***

Make sure that you get the IntelliCenter with the internal SWCG power supply.. You do not want the external power supply..

I am not a fan of the VSF pump... There is nothing wrong with it, it just cost more then the 011028 VS pump, and I can't think of any reason you would need the VF option..

Either way, the IntelliFlo is the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The worst pool decision I ever made was to let my pool builder talk me into the IntelliFlo + SVRS...

The Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS) was designed to prevent entrapment by sitting or laying on the main drain.. It is not really needed any more because all new pools have two main drains connected together, so it is impossible to get trapped. Not only are they not required or needed, but they have a problem going into a false entrapment mode, which shuts the pump off.. Anyone that still has the SVRS pump for sale is just trying to get rid of old stock..

The pump will automatically shut off at any sign of suction changes.. Just closing the filter air relief valve too quickly will cause the pump to stop.

Never, ever buy any pump with the SVRS option..

The IntelliFlo is a great pump, just not when combined with the SVRS.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRB100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is 420 sq/ft cartridge filter big enough?

Forgot to add, we don't have a fence yet, so waiting on 1 quote then going to get that started.
Purchased a 10x20 shed yesterday that we will be partitioning for a changing room/bathroom(10x8)

You can never go too big with a filter.. The bigger the filter the less often you have to clean it.

I have a CCP-520 on my 17K gallon pool. I could go a whole year between cleanings, but I clean it twice a year anyway..

That said, I suspect that the 420 will work just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks @Jimrahbe again :)

I clean the filter cartridge on our hot tub every 3 months and bought one of these which makes it a breeze.
1582049412835.png

Side Note: I am starting to get nervous on this big purchase.

Just downloaded Pool Studio to see if I can create what the backyard will look like to help put my mind at ease.

We have been told we need a retaining wall, so trying to get someone out to shoot some elevations and let us now how big of wall.

Greetings from just down the road in Columbia. I have the name of the concrete sub who did the decking around my neighbor's fiberglass pool. They did a great job and the builder uses them exclusively. I would not recommend the sub my builder used.

In the first quote, I'd want to know what $7400 misc labor included. I assume grading, etc?

@IMissNimoy awesome, can you PM me those 2 sub names?

I'll check on the labor. If comparing the 2 quotes. I am guessing that the 1st one for the pool price, it doesn't include labor, and in the 2nd one, the pool price does include labor. Removing concrete from the first one and they are very close in price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.