Sand Filter PSI increases after backwash

atxjhawk

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Oct 12, 2016
Austin TX
Hi all.
I have a Tagelus TA 50 Sand filter. The pump pressure increases two-three PSI after I backwash it. That seems counter-intuitive to me. What might cause that?
Thanks,
Steve

The position of the gauge is not relevant to psi. That said there is no reason to put the gauge between the filter and pump. Regardless, it has no effect.

I have no idea wht you are seeing a decrease in pressure. How much are you letting it rise before you backwash?

Are you sure the filter is plumbed correctly? Post a picture of the pump and filter setup.

The position of the gauge is not relevant to psi.
It most certainly is. If the gauge is before the filter, as the filter gets dirty, pressure will rise. However if the gauge is plumbed after the filter, pressure will drop.

However, I never heard of a filter that has a gauge after the media unless it was plumbed backwards.

Thanks for all the ideas.

It looks like the gauge is attached to the filter; the filter was turned-off at the time of the photos. I cannot tell from the photos where it is relative to the filter.

The filter was running at 20 psi when I decided to backwash it because of some debris in the pools.

Steve20170504_130711_resized.jpg20170504_130657_resized.jpg

Well it looks like it is connected properly. So right now the pressure is 23 PSI? Try backwashing again, and then rinse and see what happens to the PSI. Tap the gauge at each step to make sure it is reading the correct pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.