angfiggy

Sep 2, 2017
NE
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, I called a pool store 50 miles from me because the local store and I are not friends any more.

I need to purchase a sand filter, still. I got some great advice from you all earlier and was going to buy the Pentair Triton II 100C (side mount MVP). The guy at the store went on and on about putting pea gravel in a sand filter first and then sand and then he said that I would not be smart if I bought a side mount MVP. He said that if the MVP goes bad, the side mount is awful to change and the annual cleanout is also worse because the sand gets into the side. He also said he couldn't get me pricing until Tuesday. Then he said it was probably 3 weeks out and they are having problems with their orders getting ditched by their distributors?? I have already been ghosted by another store and am really antsy to buy.

So, 1. would I be stupid if I bought a top mount MVP?
I am concerned about how tall it would be. I found 65.5" on one site and 36" plus MVP height on another site. I would deal with the height if I knew that it was a lot better to go with the top mount and just get a step ladder to keep there.

2. Is gravel in the bottom and then sand a good idea?

2. Are these sites valid?

~ Ang

I have installed at least 250 sand filters, probably more, I lost track a long time ago. The vast majority were top mount as most pool pads here don't nave the room for the plumbing required for a side mount, and the plumbing is usually easier. That's especially important if you are going with a TA-100D as that tank is 30" in diameter and will take up a lot of room on an equipment pad.

Unless you are particularly vertically challenged, you will not need a step ladder to operate a top-mount filter. The top of the filter will be about a foot higher than most light switches in your home.

I have never used any pea gravel in an install except when I installed two on some Koi ponds, and then the filter material used was different as well. I have used glass media a couple of times but found no good reason to continue using it, the expense alone wasn't worth it. Just filter sand seems to be best.

Not sure what "yearly cleaning" would be involved. Backwashing when needed, not clogging the sand with "floccing" products like alum, not having too large a filter-pump, and keeping your chemicals even close to correct and you will get decades out of that filter. The first TA that I installed, a TA-60D, is still in use. That was in 1992. In 30+ years the sand has been changed once (because a lateral broke after about 3 years and I always use new sand). About every 5 years it needs a 50# bag added. The TA100 may need more in that time. Since I use unions, removing the valve is easy. Always get a new O ring for the valve.

Leslie's is a national company and that price seems to be what most companies are charging. Pool Zoom has a good reputation. Don't know about ePool Supply.

Remember that you will also need to purchase and add 10 50# bags of pool sand to the filter. You will have to find a source of that locally. Get some help handling the bags.

The Pentair TA series sand filters have proven to be very good. That tank is very-well built.

Great. Thank you!

I have the top mount in my cart. I had a Sta Rite previously and it was about 30" in diameter, as well, so that should be good to go.

When you say unions, are you talking about the slip unions or threaded or something else? I believe that I had the threaded unions on the previous one but I would have to run and check quick. Since I had a side mount previously and the Sta Rite opens up in the middle, I did not need to remove the MPV.

There is a link on this site for annual cleaning of the sand filter before opening to remove the gunk from the sand that accumulates. You just run the hose down in the sand to get the gunk to float up. I have been doing that with my older one. idk if necessary but there was quite a bit of gunk (leaves and Crud) that floated out last opening?

I bought pool sand from Menards last time. My pool store insisted that it was terrible sand. I have heard this is not true and sand is sand so I was going to buy the pool sand from there. I did it in buckets last time into the filter and that seemed to work alright. I certainly won't be able to heft those bags that high!

~ Ang

Great. Thank you!

I have the top mount in my cart. I had a Sta Rite previously and it was about 30" in diameter, as well, so that should be good to go.

When you say unions, are you talking about the slip unions or threaded or something else? I believe that I had the threaded unions on the previous one but I would have to run and check quick. Since I had a side mount previously and the Sta Rite opens up in the middle, I did not need to remove the MPV.

There is a link on this site for annual cleaning of the sand filter before opening to remove the gunk from the sand that accumulates. You just run the hose down in the sand to get the gunk to float up. I have been doing that with my older one. idk if necessary but there was quite a bit of gunk (leaves and Crud) that floated out last opening?

I bought pool sand from Menards last time. My pool store insisted that it was terrible sand. I have heard this is not true and sand is sand so I was going to buy the pool sand from there. I did it in buckets last time into the filter and that seemed to work alright. I certainly won't be able to heft those bags that high!

~ Ang
The picture on Pool Zoom's site show the Pentair unions that can be used. Also hi-temperature pump unions can be used. And, a 12" X 2" CPVC nipple, cut in half, and pool unions can be used for the inlet and outlet. A standard PVC make adapter for the backwash port, with the pipe not glued in can be used.

Since I use unions, removing the valve is easy.

I'm glad to see someone in the industry using unions. My pool installer did not add unions on each side of the MPV when they build my pool. I had to cut the PVC pipe on each side and add my own unions when I needed access to the sand filter. One day when at their store, I asked why they didn't install unions when they built the pool. They said they would if the customer asks for them. As a first time pool owner, how was I supposed yo know to ask? I think they do it so they can charge you later adding them.

Reactions: borjis
I'm glad to see someone in the industry using unions. My pool installer did not add unions on each side of the MPV when they build my pool. I had to cut the PVC pipe on each side and add my own unions when I needed access to the sand filter. One day when at their store, I asked why they didn't install unions when they built the pool. They said they would if the customer asks for them. As a first time pool owner, how was I supposed yo know to ask? I think they do it so they can charge you later adding them.
What's interesting to me is that I always found using unions to make the install easier right from the beginning of my being in this business. I did it for me and didn't know enough at the time to realize how easy it made future maintenance until I had to start cutting plumbing as you did.

You may consider the side mount piston (push down/pull up) backwash valve if you have room.
You can add a 3-way valve between the pump and backwash valve for vac-to-waste capability.
The side mount allows you to deep clean the filter while pump is running in backwash mode, with the filter top removed.
A lot more debris can be removed this way.

I ordered a Hayward sand filter off of Amazon when my old one sprung a leak. Multiport on the top. Delivered in 2 or 3 days. All local pool store wanted more and were going to take longer. As for sand just make sure to follow what is in the filter manufactures instructions. Again pool store is probably the most expensive place to get the appropriate sand. Walmart, HD, Lowes and many discount store have it for very reasonable price as well.

Unions are Make servicing your pool equipment so much easier. I generally use whatever I find at the local big box store. I try to use all the same unions. This way you only have one size of o-ring to deal with. I usually replace them all each year. Buying in bulk it's cheap

Thanks for all your help! I ordered from Leslie's and got the top mount valve Pentair 100D. It came last week. I got the old one out and all the sand. I cut the pipes and unscrewed the union from the pump, so I'm all ready to start new plumbing.

Does anyone have that link to Pool Zoom handy that shows the types of unions to do on the MPVs?

I ordered a new 2" threaded union for the pump side from Leslie's.

I was thinking of doing these out the MPV ports, but I'm overthinking it. Waterway 2" UNION, 2" SLIP x 2" MPT (400-5080) - INYOPools.com
These would work, right? I can then get at the sand if needed?