LifeTime Supporter
Sep 20, 2014
Pleasanton, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Wanted to ask the experts here before I go off diagnosing myself. PSI wasn't dropping much after backwashing so I did a deep cleaning on my sand filter per the thread on the subject here and it dropped the PSI by 4 which was good. Then I started to notice a few days later a buildup of small debris on the bottom of the pool so i vacuumed. Next day was the same thing and wasn't making any progress with vacuuming. Long story short, I put a white sock over a return and i have small debris returning to the pool. There's also lots of tiny little translucent debris floating around in the water. I did backwash and rinse post deep clean. No sand ever returned to the pool.

Before I go check it out was wondering if possible somehow I didn't put the multiport back as it should be? Maybe missed a step in the deep cleaning?

Thanks so much for your help.

Those things are all possible chemnut. Will be taking it apart tomorrow. Could it also be that I didn't deep clean well enough and ran some smaller debris down near the laterals that got pushed through? The stuff coming out of the returns is all pretty small-maybe 1/16".

Thanks for the replies, btw.

Look CLOSE for any tiny cracks. We had one where the crack was under where the lateral connected to the pipe so make sure to look there also.

When you put the sand back in did you put something over the top of the pipe to keep the sand out of there?

Also fill the filter half way up with water THEN hand place the sand until the laterals are covered to help protect them.

Kim:kim:

Ok, wanted to finish up this story. I figured out what the problem was. When the pool builder installed the sand filter, they installed a little too short of a standpipe, so they just put some pipe dope between the standpipe and the fitting that attaches to the multiport to keep it from leaking over. When I opened it for the first time to do a deep cleaning I obviously broke that seal of pipe dope and when I put it back together after the cleaning it leaked over into the return allowing debris into the pool. I noticed the dope on it when I first took it apart, but didn't think too much of it. I was able to lengthen the standpipe with some plumbing fittings for a nice permanent fix. Not too happy with pool builders plumber, but glad I was able to fix it permanently. You were right Kim, something was "off."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.