Saltwater pool horrible red eyes

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
FC at 5ppm. Cya at 70. Me and my son get horrible red eyes swimming. I thought a saltwater pool was supposed to stop this. Read high chlorine (above 3ppm) can cause red eyes. But this forum says put it at 5ppm with cya at 70. So what should I change to get rid of the red eyes.

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Check your ph.

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
All levels are within this forum recommendations. FC 4.6. Cya 70. CC zero. Ph 7.6-7.8. TA 90. CH 400

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
MFC,

I run an FC of 7 ppm or more with a CYA of 70 or so.. I can swim with my eyes open under water with no issues..

We need a full set of test data..

Thanks,

Jim R.

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
We can swim under water no issues at all. It’s when we get out after a couple hours in the pool our eyes are very red. Results posted above.

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
FC 4.6? That result didn't come from a Taylor test kit!

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Rubbing your eyes while swimming can cause red, irritated eyes. Do you best to not rub your eyes.

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
How are you testing your water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
Hey MCF !! For what it’s worth I ran hot with a target FC of 10 and a CYA of 70 with my salt. The PH was always on the high side of in range.

swimmer after swimmer after swimmer remarked how amazed they were to have no stinging like every other pool they’d been in. So I can attest that up to double your FC, it won’t matter and something else must be going on.

Kevinr14

Mar 8, 2021
Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Are you putting sunscreen on your faces? Particularly the forehead? I find it always runs down into my eyes and make them sting for a while.

Reactions: kellyfair

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Are you putting sunscreen on your faces? Particularly the forehead? I find it always runs down into my eyes and make them sting for a while.
Yep, this happen to me too... I’ve started wearing an old baseball cap in pool so I don’t need sunscreen above eyes.

JeaniB

Gold Supporter
May 30, 2019
Midwest
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Our tears are approximately 7000 ppm of salt. It isn’t the salt causing this.

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
No sunscreen. Nothing. I just got in again for another hour. Blood shot. Have to use drops. No burning or anything at all while swimming. Just after. Maybe I’m just sensitive. I do get dry eyes from lasik surgery.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
@Dirk found out what was bothering his eyes when he got out. He was rubbing his eyes to get the water out/off. He started just patting his eyes with the towel and it worked best to keep from irritating his eyes.

NCMike

Gold Supporter
Jan 31, 2020
Raleigh, NC
No sunscreen. Nothing. I just got in again for another hour. Blood shot. Have to use drops. No burning or anything at all while swimming. Just after. Maybe I’m just sensitive. I do get dry eyes from lasik surgery.
I have the same problem. My eyes are very sensitive to my water and I had Lasik 5 years ago. My wife and kids can swim all day and no issues. I have just always assumed that it was the Lasik that made them sensitive.

Reactions: MCF50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support