Saltwater pool horrible red eyes

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
FC at 5ppm. Cya at 70. Me and my son get horrible red eyes swimming. I thought a saltwater pool was supposed to stop this. Read high chlorine (above 3ppm) can cause red eyes. But this forum says put it at 5ppm with cya at 70. So what should I change to get rid of the red eyes.

Rubbing your eyes while swimming can cause red, irritated eyes. Do you best to not rub your eyes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey MCF !! For what it’s worth I ran hot with a target FC of 10 and a CYA of 70 with my salt. The PH was always on the high side of in range.

swimmer after swimmer after swimmer remarked how amazed they were to have no stinging like every other pool they’d been in. So I can attest that up to double your FC, it won’t matter and something else must be going on.

Are you putting sunscreen on your faces? Particularly the forehead? I find it always runs down into my eyes and make them sting for a while.
Yep, this happen to me too... I’ve started wearing an old baseball cap in pool so I don’t need sunscreen above eyes.

No sunscreen. Nothing. I just got in again for another hour. Blood shot. Have to use drops. No burning or anything at all while swimming. Just after. Maybe I’m just sensitive. I do get dry eyes from lasik surgery.

No sunscreen. Nothing. I just got in again for another hour. Blood shot. Have to use drops. No burning or anything at all while swimming. Just after. Maybe I’m just sensitive. I do get dry eyes from lasik surgery.
I have the same problem. My eyes are very sensitive to my water and I had Lasik 5 years ago. My wife and kids can swim all day and no issues. I have just always assumed that it was the Lasik that made them sensitive.

Reactions: MCF50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.