PoolMama1989

Mar 16, 2022
Savannah Ga
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is this normal?? Pool was installed in November of 2021. Just wanted to ask…in case this might lead to a bigger problem.

Attachments

• IMG_7819.jpeg
    IMG_7819.jpeg
    751.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7818.jpeg
    IMG_7818.jpeg
    711.3 KB · Views: 63
Hello. As John noted, certainly not normal and an indication water is settling from somewhere. Initially I would suspect the shaft seal inside the motor. You can check to see if there are water drippings under the bottom of that motor casing. However that output hose connected to the top of the pump also appears to have been leaking. Seems to be wet in the pic near the band clamp. You might make sure the water isn't coming from there and just running down and underneath to the motor base causing all that rust.

Hello. As John noted, certainly not normal and an indication water is settling from somewhere. Initially I would suspect the shaft seal inside the motor. You can check to see if there are water drippings under the bottom of that motor casing. However that output hose connected to the top of the pump also appears to have been leaking. Seems to be wet in the pic near the band clamp. You might make sure the water isn't coming from there and just running down and underneath to the motor base causing all that rust.
Thank you!!! It’s wet because we just had a heavy rain…so the pool was overflowing from the skimmer. I’ll have my husband check out what you mentioned. I’m the only one who adds chemicals to the pool. So I know it’s not from acid.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Those mounts rust if you so much as look at them sideways.

I have the exact same pump and motor with the exact same rusted mounts. I have had it for a number of years now, and they started rusting almost immediately.

My pump does not leak, I do not spill anything on the pump. It rains, and they rust.

I take my entire filter apart each year and perform annual maintainance on it before I store it for the off season. This year, in addition to cleaning, lubricating, etc I pulled the entire motor with mounts off the base, wire wheeled / brushed them (I debated sandblasting, but decided against it this time) down to bare metal, primed them, and repainted them. We will see what happens this season.

Other people on TFP have had this problem as well

Those mounts are garbage - plain and simple.

If (when) those mounts rust through, you can use something like this, with the correct sized spacers, and band clamps to get the pump mounted again. Just flip it upsidedown so the pump sits in the "cradle" and the flat part is down

Something like this will also work, but you will have to remove all remnants of the rusted feet. That is a 48Y frame motor. So any bracket for a 48Y motor will fit it.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go with slow leak from the inlet or outlet fitting on the pump has been dribbling pool water onto that motor mount for a long time. And even if it's not a saltwater pool, there's some salinity in it from regular chlorine breakdown.
That’s exactly what the issue is! Hubby checked it out yesterday. We did add salt to the pool last season…so what you said makes sense.

Reactions: hwy17
Fwiw I have a carvin pump & its like that too. Started almost immediately.
Its a replacement, the original carvin did the same.
I just assumed it was from the combo of it vibrating against the pavers & me opening the pump basket getting salt water everywhere.

Not that I think this rust is the end of the world, the degraded mount will probably still do it's job good enough until the pump itself dies if the leak is fixed.

But anyway, for illustrative purposes, here is my Hayward powerflo that has been left out in the rain for 4 years, without saline pool water on it. I used it for one year and then replaced it, and never got around to moving it indoors or something.

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.16.05 AM copy.jpg

Everybody STOP IT !!!! :ROFLMAO: Saline/salt water is 30k+ ppm like seawater at 35k. Whether the LC pool is 1500+ or the 'salt pool' is 3500, they're both a fraction (5%/10%) of actual salt water and behave on the freshwater side of things. Several, like NOAA, claim anything under 5000 ppm is fresh water and brackish is 5000 to 30,000. *Then* saline/salt starts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everybody STOP IT !!!! :ROFLMAO: Saline/salt water is 30k+ ppm like seawater at 35k. Whether the LC pool is 1500+ or the 'salt pool' is 3500, they're both a fraction (5%/10%) of actual salt water and behave on the freshwater side of things. Several, like NOAA, claim anything under 5000 ppm is fresh water and brackish is 5000 to 30,000. *Then* saline/salt starts.
That applies to the water in the pool. When it dribbles out of the pool slowly over long term and evaporates onto things the salinity reaches 100%, aka crusty salt. I can go get a picture of my flex hose bands next to demonstrate. And yes, I realize this effect occurs in both LC and saltwater pools, to different degrees. 3400 will crust up a bit faster than 1000 or 1500.

On a drinking or irrigation water tank I wouldn't get that from slow leaks, it would be more like a hard water stain from the dominant calcium content. So I'll stand by any pool water being more saline than regular freshwater sources.

Ignoring the salt's contribution to this rust in an effort to insist that saltwater pools are "not saline" would be depriving ourselves of a better understanding of the effect. All pools are a little salty and we don't have to be salty about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Moisture takes out poor quality materials and there's little debate about the quality of the bolts.

I've had a salt pool since 2012 and never once had residuals anywhere splashout happens, from the equipment pad to the patio. On the other hand, my shower heads all have white crusties, with 200ppm or less salt and 50 or less CH in the tap water.

Having robust materials is key around tap water , LC pools, or salt pools.

It's salt rust, I have posted the same pump base left out in the weather without salt. I'm not blaming the pool for being salty, they have to be. I think it's weird to be evasive and blame this on "moisture".

You cannot just look at it and say "salt". There are any number of reasons that those supports rust. And while your case is single case, there are numerous cases of those supports easily rusting (not just here, but across the web as well).

It could very well be an electrolytically cause rust because of two dissimilar metals.

You cannot just look at it and say "salt". There are any number of reasons that those supports rust. And while your case is single case, there are numerous cases of those supports easily rusting (not just here, but across the web as well).

It could very well be an electrolytically cause rust because of two dissimilar metals.
There are not dissimilar metals there, that's a plastic base. And you can see the salt crust all over the pump!

Not that I think this rust is the end of the world, the degraded mount will probably still do it's job good enough until the pump itself dies if the leak is fixed.

But anyway, for illustrative purposes, here is my Hayward powerflo that has been left out in the rain for 4 years, without saline pool water on it. I used it for one year and then replaced it, and never got around to moving it indoors or something.

View attachment 553463

It's salt rust, I have posted the same pump base left out in the weather without salt. I'm not blaming the pool for being salty, they have to be. I think it's weird to be evasive and blame this on "moisture".
Hubby fixed the leak yesterday. The clamp around the hose wasn’t seated properly. They also used a silicone sealant which had deteriorated. Plumbers tape and fixing the clamp…problem solved 🙌. This has been a lesson learned. Make sure to keep an eye out for leaks in the future!! I appreciate this community!

Attachments

• IMG_7833.jpeg
    IMG_7833.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 11
There are not dissimilar metals there, that's a plastic base. And you can see the salt crust all over the pump!

Not the base to the bracket, the bracket to the motor housing. The motor housing is some sort of alloy while the mounting brackets are stamped steel. On those body pumps the brackets are attached directly to the motor housing.

Just because you see white residue does not mean it is salt. It could be any number of things that are in pool water. As I said, if you do some digging, the supports on those motors rusting is a well known issue. The leak that the OP had surely exacerbated the issue but is not the only cause. That mounting bracket on that motor is very prone to rusting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.