Running SWG 24x7?

Oct 18, 2016
Long Valley, NJ
First season with a SWG. I'm planning to run it 24x7 and am wondering if that's a terrible idea. Here's the background:

I have a variable speed pump that displays watts of electricity being used. I also have a FlowVis flowmeter. Every season, I check the flow in 100 RPM increments and determine the least amount of electricity needed to turn the pool over once each day. Inevitably, the result of this exercise has me running the pump at a very low RPM for many hours, with a short stint to a higher RPM to increase skimmer efficacy. In general, this approach uses considerably less electricity than running the pump at higher speeds for fewer hours.

This year, I need to run the pump at 1200 RPM for 22 hours and 3000 RPM for 2 hours. The flow switch for the SWG activates at less than 1000 RPM. So, if I do what I'm planning to do, the SWG will be running 24x7, presumably with the dial turned down quite a bit (on top of running it 24x7, I have a 30K gallon pool and a 60K SWG). The flow at 1200 RPM is ~18 GPM.

Is there anything wrong with this approach? Will this shorten the life of the SWG vs. running it with more flow, at a higher dial setting, but for fewer hours? Or, is it fine for the SWG overall, but likely to cause scaling problems?

Thanks!

The SWCG does not care.. From the SWCG's point of view, there is no difference between running 1 hour at 100% or 10 hours at 10%

Turnovers are a myth.. If you run the pump long enough to generate the amount of chlorine you need you should be good to go.

I run my pump and SWCG 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM.. My skimmers work just fine at 1200 RPM...

Not at all necessary, but just something that I like to do...

I can't see any reason to run at 3000 RPM..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: markayash
I also run my pump on low (2 speed) 24/7 and my SWG at 25%. My pool is pristine, and my SWG only comes on 25% of the time. It is not like the SWG is on all the time and producing 25% less chlorine. NO, though the control unit is always getting power, the Cell the produces chlorine only comes on 25% of the time. The percentage of chlorine setting basically works like a timer of how long to run the SWG cell.

A bit of personal preference here I think. I run my pump on medium with the SWG @ 80% for 4-4.5 hours a day in summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.