Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi there

I have solar on my roof so want to run my variable speed pool filter only during daylight hours. I also dislike the sound of it on high. Hayward told me I have to run it on high for four hours and then on low the rest of the time. Is four hours a hard and fast rule? 12200 gallons. Is 3 on high and 6 on low sufficient?

Teena,

There is just no reason that you should have to run your pump on "high" at all.

You run your pump for a reason... It needs to run at a speed that will skim the pool. It also needs to run fastest enough to turn your salt cell on. And, in your case, it needs to run at a speed that makes your solar work for you.

I suggest that you quit listening to any one with a name like "Hayward"... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Teena,

There is just no reason that you should have to run your pump on "high" at all.

You run your pump for a reason... It needs to run at a speed that will skim the pool. It also needs to run fastest enough to turn your salt cell on. And, in your case, it needs to run at a speed that makes your solar work for you.

I suggest that you quit listening to any one with a name like "Hayward"... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
🤣 ok so a few hours on high and the rest on low 9-5 would work?

What exactly are the high and low speeds set to?

If you want the solar to function, you need to run the pump fast enough to get the solar functioning. And since you also have an SWG, the pump needs to run fast enough for the flow switch to close so the SWG produces chlorine. We can't tell you the exact RPM as each pool is different. You will need to test to see what RPM will satisfy both of those requirements.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Teena,

Why run the pump on High at all?? What is it that you want to do that requires your pool pump to run at high.

The terms low and high do not mean much without knowing what speed the pump is running..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I have a Hayward variable speed pump with high med and low setting. I’m not sure what the exact speeds are. I want to be sure my pool is circulating through. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I have a Hayward variable speed pump with high med and low setting.
I believe you are able to adjust the preset speeds on the pump itself through its menus...they aren't fixed speeds. My VSP never runs at its maximum speed...I have 4 presets that I use for different purposes. You could experiment and see what speed works best for your solar, and what speed works for your SWG.

I want to be sure my pool is circulating through.
Others have alluded to this already, and maybe you already know this, but there's no need to run the pump for "circulation" or "turnovers". Run it for a reason...skimming, solar heat, chlorine generation, etc.

Reactions: Darin and Newdude
Here is the owner's manual for your pump.

Look thru the manual and become familiar with how to set the speeds and how to set the schedules.

You can set the 4 speed buttons to any speed you want - by RPM.
You can then schedule any of those speeds to run at set times.

Press the speed 1 button and then the right arrow - what speed is indicated on the display?
Do the same for speeds 2, 3, and 4.
The factory default speeds are:
1 - 1000 rpm
2 - 1750 rpm
3 - 2500 rpm
4 - 3250 rpm

Once you report back with the speeds, you can work on the schedules and even resetting the speeds to better accommodate your pool and its equipment.

Also, post pictures of what the display shows if it doesn't align with the above.

Reactions: Newdude
I believe you are able to adjust the preset speeds on the pump itself through its menus...they aren't fixed speeds. My VSP never runs at its maximum speed...I have 4 presets that I use for different purposes. You could experiment and see what speed works best for your solar, and what speed works for your SWG.

Others have alluded to this already, and maybe you already know this, but there's no need to run the pump for "circulation" or "turnovers". Run it for a reason...skimming, solar heat, chlorine generation, etc.
Interesting. Thanks I’ll take a look.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.