Results of draining pool due to high CYA, pump & hose used, etc.

Longboat58

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2019
Austin, TX
This spring after 15 years of using pucks and not knowing what CYA even was, we ended up with a CYA of 400! Clearly I needed pretty much a full drain. To minimize the pop up risk I decided to do 3 partial drains of approx 50% each vs one full drain. The extra 50% of water was cheap insurance IMO. I bought a Superior Pump 91570 1/2 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump from Amazon $80 along with 3 Little Giant SPDK Sump Pump Discharge Hose Kit, 1-1/4”, 24-Feet each, $16 each. I bought the hoses just to speed up the process vs using a standard watering hose with less flow. Water was pumped approx 5.5 ft high which is the distance from the bottom of the shallow end up to the drain clean-out on the side of our house by the kitchen and total hose length was 72'. I stuffed about 1.5' of hose into the clean-out opening and tightly stuffed a rag into the opening beside the hose to secure it. With this arrangement it was pumping just under 18 GPM. After the 3 partial drains the CYA was in the 50s, which I was happy with being in sunny Austin Tx. The part used to connect the hoses came from Home Depot and fit perfectly, see pic link. Happy to be no longer using pucks!! Thanks TFP forum! Hose connector

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.