High CYA

Scott_B

Aug 31, 2023
Dallas, TX
My CYA level is too high and I was told by Leslie's that if I leave the pool circulation OFF for 4+ hours that the CYA that is in the water will float more to the top and therefore add water to the bottom (put a hose in the bottom of the pool) and by adding water to the bottom more CYA will leave since it has floated to the top and you are overflowing your pool.

All the forums say correctly that CYA should be distributed evenly within the water when the pump is on, but is there a case where if the circulation pump is off that the CYA will float to the top and be more concentrated there? My pump stays off for 14+ hours every night.

Yes, just one more about high CYA levels, but hear me out.

First, I recognize that pool stores are not always the best source of information and that many of you say to get your own pool kit. I have had great success with my local Leslie's and them steering me in the right direction and it is easy to bring in a water sample and get direction from them. So, here goes...

My CYA level is too high and I was told by Leslie's that if I leave the pool circulation OFF for 4+ hours that the CYA that is in the water will float more to the top / concentrate more at the top of the water and therefore I should add water to the bottom (put a hose in the bottom of the pool) and by adding water to the bottom more CYA will leave since it has floated to the top when you are overflowing your pool.

All the forums say correctly that CYA should be distributed evenly within the water when the pump is on, but is there a case where if the circulation pump is off that the CYA will float to the top and be more concentrated there? My pump stays off for 14+ hours every night.

I have yet to see a specific answer to this question anywhere in the forums as they all say that CYA will be distributed evenly with proper circulation, which I totally agree with. But is there any case for the CYA floating / getting more concentrated at the top of the water level when the pool pump is off for an extended period of time, then filling the pool from the bottom and therefore pushing more CYA out while overfilling the pool as a way to "drain" it? If this is correct then you should be able to use less fresh water to reduce the CYA level.

While many of you don't agree with pool store information, I would assume that Leslie's has directed their store teams to say the above (CYA floats to the top when the pool is not circulating) for a reason.

Thanks.

Typical Leslie's advice... 99% rectally derived/old wive's tales. CYA doesnt float, that's just silly. The only ounce of truth in their advice is that if the pool water is warmer than the hose water adding water to the bottom of the pool and pumping from the top will maximize the amount of existing pool water water coming out and minimize the loss of the new fresh water. Check out the No Drain Water exchange for a more accurate description.

Last edited:
I have had great success with my local Leslie's and them steering me in the right direction
Then why do you need to lower your CYA ?

They didn't tell you as you slowly jacked the level ? Surely they saw it rising week after week as they sold you more shock/tabs.

They exist to sell you chemicals. Period. The 'free test' actually costs whatever you paid that trip. It's a $35 or $175 test. (Etc) Do the calculations in the link above to see if you should drain high and fill low, or vise versa. No dissolved solids 'float'. The only shred of truth to their statement is if you add enough fill water, the CYA level will decrease and they will look correct. But it's not for why they claimed. It's because you added 15k (?) gallons of 0 CYA water.

The actual efficiency of the CYA removal depends on the TDS and temp of both the pool and fill and how little they mix.

Ahem. Please excuse my terrible manners. Welcome to TFP !!!!!! :wave:

Have a go : Pool Care Basics
Download : PoolMath
Purchase: Test Kits Compared
Follow : FC/CYA Levels
Witness : How Clear is TFP Clear?

While many of you don't agree with pool store information, I would assume that Leslie's has directed their store teams to say the above (CYA floats to the top when the pool is not circulating) for a reason.

That would be a bad assumption. Whoever said that was just making it up or repeating it from someone they heard who also just made it up. 🤣

There’s alot they say & direct their employees to say that doesn’t make sense.
The reason is usually to sell you things.
Just like their recommendation that a cya of 100 is ok so they could keep selling you tabs/stabilized chlorine products.
Before draining/exchanging large amounts of water you should test the water with your own reliable test kit so you know where you really stand & how much water you should actually exchange -
one of these
👇👇👇👇👇👇
Taylor k2006(c) or tf100/pro
Test Kits Compared

When you get those results post them up & we can help you get your pool in order.

Reactions: Newdude
is there a case where if the circulation pump is off that the CYA will float to the top and be more concentrated there?

Yes. As presented by the Original Poster.

I am curious (George) though - 🐵 - A few questions came to mind as I read about your CYA ...

Have you successfully lowered CYA using this process before, or is this a new innovative method that's just been discovered?
Is the CYA layer visible after 4+ hours of pump off-time? Is there a "color" to indicate when high levels are present?
Is that "Floating CYA stratum" 1 inch deep? (6 inches deep? 1 foot deep? 20 gallons? 100 gallons? 1000 gallons?)
Does the CYA layer build? Does it progressively get "thicker" after more off-time?
When the pump is off, does it build at a constant rate per hour or is it dependent upon other chemistry, water temperature, outside temperature, day of the week, etc?
Did the pool store instructions specify how much water to add to the bottom of the pool?
Seems very important to know the size of the CYA layer so that the multiples of 4 hours pump off-time, and the GPM of the fill water can be determined.
How often is testing done during the water replacement?

I have had great success with my local Leslie's and them steering me in the right direction

Pools are different and can be unique in requirements. Use whatever testing and dosing advice that works for your particular situation.

I see absolutely nothing wrong to patronize a pool store if they have what you want, when you want it, and at the price you are willing to pay ... But, I've learned water testing and dosage is not what I need from them.

With Trouble Free Pool Care, I have the Pool Math app to calculate dosages based upon self-tests with a recognized reliable test method, and guidance of those with pool maintenance experience that, by far, surpasses mine.

:lovetfp:

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you trust Leslie's just try a simple experiment:

1. Turn off your pump for the 4 hours (or 14 hours you normally have it off)
2. Take a water sample from the top of the pool
3. Take a water sample from the bottom of the pool by using a long piece of PVC or something similar
4. Have Leslie's test both water samples (don't tell them which is which, or that you are doing any sort of experiment)

Even better if you tested CYA yourself, but sounds like no based on your original post. Either way, post back here and let us know. It will either be reason #1,593,405 to not go to Leslies, or maybe there is something to it and we could all learn from it.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Given that people have taken identical samples to Leslies and have gotten two different sets of results, I wouldn't be surprised if the CYA level was different between the two.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CYA level was different between the two.
Exactly. Their inability to repeat absurdly detailed #s, like CYA down to 1 ppm, is going to make it look like the 2 are different when they aren't.

But I reckon there's a 50/50 chance the machine claims the top water has less CYA. :ROFLMAO:

told by Leslie's that if I leave the pool circulation OFF for 4+ hours that the CYA that is in the water will float more to the top and therefore add water to the bottom (put a hose in the bottom of the pool) and by adding water to the bottom more CYA will leave since it has floated to the top and you are overflowing your pool.
It would be fun to have a recording of the pool store saying this :laughblue:

I would assume that Leslie's has directed their store teams to say the above (CYA floats to the top when the pool is not circulating) for a reason.

Scott, you are right. In fact, there are a couple of reasons. A) to sell you more stuff. B) because they may actually not know any better.

Whenever you are trying to determine if the story you are hearing has any truth behind it, it Is important to consider what the storytellers have to gain. It’s not hard to figure out what a pool store has to gain, and they gain more as you continue to come back.

On the other hand, what does TFP have to gain? I am not making a dime here, and the rest of the folks aren’t either. Our interest lies in helping you to take control of your pool-owning destiny, because we did ourselves and it is glorious.

So, you decide. And I hope you come back and let us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.