replacing pool pump

tyrion

Jan 30, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hi everyone.

I have a pool that I've had for about 3 years, although original age is much much older. Thanks to this site I was able to get it dialed in pretty well and maintain it relatively easily.

It's about 35000 gallons, I think. That's what I use for pool math. Concrete pool in Southern California.

I use a pool robot, primarily liquid chlorine with occasional tablets in a floater, and have the recommended test kit. It's been generally (if you don't mind the pun) trouble free!

Now my pool pump is suddenly a lot noisier. Kind of like how a water pump on a car gets really loud and you know to replace it.

I would love to switch to a variable speed pump, if possible.

Current pump: Purex Triton Whisperflo WFE-3 (3/4 HP I believe) It has a number on the bottom which I believe is the manufacture date: 011512

I'm looking for advice on if this is something I can do myself? Swap out the motor 'half' and connect it? I do have an electrician who is a family friend who could assist if needed. I'm generally handy. For refence I'm comfortable replacing light fixtures, swapping out the DE filter grids, and installing baseboards. I am not comfortable working on the main electrical panel, installing kitchen countertops, etc.

And then any guidance on what kind of variable speed pumps to look at. The current single speed seems adequate. We do have solar warming panels located about 10 feet above the pool level.

THanks!

Great. Let's wait for another member to chime in - but I suspect an Intelliflo VS will plumb in directly. But need to check that. A Superflo VS would be a good fit performance wise, but I suspect plumbing would need to be modified.

You could just change the motor, but with the age of the pump, I would suggest a full replacement.

Reactions: Craig22939
With Pentair, if you purchase an EC grade product, you get 1 year warranty even with DIY install. So remember that.

Let's see if @JamesW can help us on which pump will fit into your existing plumbing setup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.