Is going from a 2 HP Single Speed Pump to a 1.5 HP Variable OK?

Gug,

Tell us more about your pool. Do you have a spa? Water features? Do you have a heater, What kind of filter?

Most likely you will be ok, but I am not a fan of small VS pumps.

I like the idea of a large VS pump that you can run at very low RPMs and still move a lot of water. And at low speeds the pump will almost be silent.

I run my 3 HP IntelliFlo 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM for less than $20 bucks a month..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do you have a spa?
Yup.

Water features?
Yup.

Do you have a heater?
Yup.
I'd go with a 3HP because all 3 above use more flow. The 1.5 HP will need to be run at a higher RPM, negating some of the savings while the 3 HP will create the same flow at lower RPMs, saving more.

Then again, it may take its lifespan to recoup the price difference between the 1.5 HP and 3 HP.

With no automation concerns, I simply wouldn't pay the obscene amount that the flagship brands are charging these days. I could buy 3 or 4 of These instead and i would literally laugh if one failed while buying a 2nd one. Statistically speaking, they should last as long as any pump.

Reactions: gugelm and mas985
I agree with the above comments. Your spa jets will likely be much weaker with a 1.5 HP VS than your current 2 HP. A larger VS pump will allow you to optimize the strength of the jets as well as flow to all the various features. Plus larger VS pumps are much quieter than smaller VS pumps at the same flow rate and are less likely to get clogged with debris.

Reactions: gugelm
I'd go with a 3HP because all 3 above use more flow. The 1.5 HP will need to be run at a higher RPM, negating some of the savings while the 3 HP will create the same flow at lower RPMs, saving more.

Then again, it may take its lifespan to recoup the price difference between the 1.5 HP and 3 HP.

With no automation concerns, I simply wouldn't pay the obscene amount that the flagship brands are charging these days. I could buy 3 or 4 of These instead and i would literally laugh if one failed while buying a 2nd one. Statistically speaking, they should last as long as any pump.
Good suggestion! Do I need a controller too?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.