Replace Pentair valve with Pentair actuator

drewhiggs

Silver Supporter
Jul 9, 2017
Georgetown, TX
So I'd like to replace a Pentair valve with a Pentair actuator, but I want to make sure it's as straight forward as I think it should be.

Right now, I have a spa that spills over into the pool whenever the pool is filtering. I would like to replace a valve with an actuator so I can filter and heat the pool without the spa spill over. The reason for doing this is so I can heat the pool with a solar cover and not worry about the spill over. I can do this manually by turning off the spa return valve, but I would rather do it with screen logic. During the summer, I imagine the spillover won't be an issue. Right now the spill over would not work well while trying to retain pool temp.

Is this the best solution? It seems straight forward and should connect to the easy touch control panel. I haven't figured out how it connects, but I didn't think it would be difficult. I may be wrong which is why I'm asking your opinion. Does this sound like a viable solution?

Below are pics of my current manual valve and an actuator valve.

Drew,

The spillover mode in the EasyTouch rotates the Intake valve so that it sucks water from the pool and then rotates the Return valve so that it sends water to the Spa.. Obviously, water going into the spa without the spa drain on will cause the water to spillover into the pool..

I suspect the valve you are thinking about adding an actuator to is a make up valve and not the Intake or Return valve.. If this is true your plan will not work..

If you post a pic that shows us your equipment pad and valves, we should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

Assuming your Intake and Return valves already have actuators installed, that is all you need. Just turn off the manual Make up valve and add a feature circuit for "spillover"... Then, the spa will never spillover except when you turn on the spillover by either scheduling it or manually clicking on the spillover icon..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Below are pics of my current manual valve and an actuator valve.
I think that you might be misunderstanding. It's not an actuator valve, it's a valve actuator. The actuator mounts on the existing valve to convert it from a manual valve to an automated valve.

No problem. Here is a picture of my equipment pad.

When I turn the valve circled, I stop the return to the spa and the spillover stops. My thought is that I should be able to replace this valve with an actuator and stop the spillover. Does this sound right?

These pictures are from when the equipment was installed, but the only thing missing is an air blower in the first picture.

If you would prefer a more recent picture, let me know and I can take one tomorrow.

Last edited:
You have a line called Spa Return and another Spa Jets.

Are they are on different pumps? What does your automation do now when you select Spa?

I have 2 pumps, but 1 pump is for the water features (ledge bubbler and sheer descent), while the VS pump is for the pool and spa.

Below is a current picture. When I select SPA, both valve actuator's turn. When in pool mode, all valves circled in blue are active. If I turn the valve labeled "Spa Return Jets", the spillover stops and water is only delivered to the jets in the pool.

The pipe labeled "Spa Jets" is where water is returned during "Spa Mode". It is not active while in "Pool mode".

Last edited:
So do as Jim described in post 2. Close the manual valve on Spa Return. Then set up Spillover in the ET. You can schedule it for 30 minutes or so a couple times a day to keep the water chlorinated in the spa.

So do as Jim described in post 2. Close the manual valve on Spa Return. Then set up Spillover in the ET. You can schedule it for 30 minutes or so a couple times a day to keep the water chlorinated in the spa.

Ok. Let me talk through this. By closing the spa return valve, you are suggesting I chlorinate the spa and pool independently via the SWG.

Pool Mode for 6 hours (or whatever I decide it needs to be set to)
Spa Mode for 30 minutes

The only problem we run into is that when we use the spa, water displacement sends water over the spillover. To fill the spa back up, I need to open the spa return valve back up and select pool mode.

I would prefer to automate this which brings us back to the original post. Should I install an actuator on the spa return valve and if I do is it more complicated than it seems?

Not independently. Just only run the spa jets in Spillover mode a couple times a day so the spillover is not running continuously driving your pH up.

@Jimrahbe has the process down. Let's have him guide you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not independently. Just only run the spa jets in Spillover mode a couple times a day so the spillover is not running continuously driving your pH up.

@Jimrahbe has the process down. Let's have him guide you.

This seems simple, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this without an actuator on the "Spa RT" valve.

If I turn Actuator #1 manually (via the toggle switch), it drains all of the spa water into the pool. I have not seen what happens when I turn Actuator #2 manually.

Last edited:
As I said, Jim has it down how you set it up in Screenlogic. You select Spillover mode. It pulls water from the pool and returns it to the spa through the jets. You then do not need the spa return (make up) line. That is old school prior to automation.

Drew,

If you turn off the valve you have circled in red (This is the Spa make up valve) your spillover will stop...

If you go to the Pool Mode, your Intake valve will rotate to suck water from the pool and into your pump which pushes the water through the filter and then your Return valve will rotate to return the water to the pool. (no spillover)

If you go to the Spa Mode, your Intake valve will rotate to suck water from the Spa and your pump will push it through the filter and then your Return valve will rotate to return the water to the Spa. (no spillover)

If you go into ScreenLogic and set up a Feature Circuit to be your Spillway, and then select it, the following will happen...

If you select the Spillway Mode, your Intake valve will rotate to suck water from the pool and your pump will push it through the filter and then your Return valve will rotate to return the water to the Spa. (This will cause the Spa to spillover)

I'll send you a PM,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: drewhiggs
Drew,

Jim was able to walk me through it.

If I can do it, anyone can!

I also automated my water features by adding an actuator. I went with an intermatic actuator which is a lot cheaper than a pentair.

Reactions: drewhiggs
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.