Recommendation needed for replacing concrete pool lining

Are you asking about replastering the pool?

What do you mean by " functionality"?

Any pool plaster surface will be functional - plaster, pebble, quartz, etc. Companies give them a lot of fancy names.

What I mean is sturdy for the cost. Longevity. What I don’t want is to spend a lot of money for a proprietary product that does not really add value. The pool is old—30 years and deep—10 feet are the deepest point. It is in surprisingly good shape for its age.

Get your local prices for basic plaster and what the upcharges are for premium finishes. The upcharges vary widely by region and builder. Report back what you find and we can discuss.

Get a couple more estimates. If that's just for the plaster (no tile) then that' would be pretty expensive in my neck of the woods. Bear in mind everyone wants pools built/renovated/replastered this year because of the coronvirus isolation, so prices may be elevated (supply and demand).

Reactions: HiddenRiver

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's ballpark for NJ area. Prices are higher right now all over the country. What I will say is if you want a long lasting quality job spend the extra money amd do a full chip out of old plaster. That's the only way to guarantee a long lasting finish.

Reactions: HiddenRiver
That's ballpark for NJ area. Prices are higher right now all over the country. What I will say is if you want a long lasting quality job spend the extra money amd do a full chip out of old plaster. That's the only way to guarantee a long lasting finish.
Thank you. He said he would not chip out areas that were solid and would tap the concrete to be sure there were no hollow sounds. Is it fair to ask him to chip out everything? The pool seems quite sound for the most part but have some sections where the surface plaster has fallen off—but these may be old repairs. It’s hard to have to trust someone unknown with such a high cost service. I appreciate your response and thoughts!!

Thank you! One more question—we are being told that we need to fill up the pool immediately after the job to be sure the concrete will cure. They say we need to get a pool water supplier to fill the pool and that costs $1500. We have a brand new well pump and it produces a great volume of water. But it will take probably 3 days to fill the pool back up. Thoughts on that? Do you have recommendations for someone in the SE Pennsylvania area who will do a more appropriate job of chipping out concrete and restoring the pool finish?

Is the 11k for just a plaster touch up what it should cost for the entire chip out and replace? Not sure what I am getting for my money!

Do you know what the full chemistry is of your well water? No metals? Minerals? pH, TA?

It is better for the plaster curing if known pure water is trucked in and the pool filled quickly. The plasterer may not warranty any work if you do a slow fill with well water.

All sort of problems can happen with the plaster finish if your well pump dies during the fill or you have metals or minerals in the water.

$1,500 to have 40,000 gallons trucked in is a very good price.

Do you know what the full chemistry is of your well water? No metals? Minerals? pH, TA?

It is better for the plaster curing if known pure water is trucked in and the pool filled quickly. The plasterer may not warranty any work if you do a slow fill with well water.

All sort of problems can happen with the plaster finish if your well pump dies during the fill or you have metals or minerals in the water.

$1,500 to have 40,000 gallons trucked in is a very good price.
The pool water is slightly acidic without much calcium but some. Hard for me to get untreated water. But water that has gone through our treatment system is about pH 7.2 and Ca of 60 or so.

The pool water is slightly acidic without much calcium but some. Hard for me to get untreated water. But water that has gone through our treatment system is about pH 7.2 and Ca of 60 or so.
Do you think it is necessary to chip out all the concrete? They are proposing to fix some cracks and deterioration in some localized places. No one told us it was necessary to chip out everything but just those places that are obviously needed. The pool is really in decent shape considering it’s age

You wouldnt be chipping out the concrete/gunite, but the plaster that is on top of it. It is more labor intensive to to a full chip out, but then you have a bare gunite surface for the new plaster to adhere to.

If you do not do a full chip out, you will be plastering on top of old plaster which is a bit cheaper but may not last as long since you are still relying on the old plaster continuing to adhere to the gunite.

If I was spending ~$10k, I would not want to cut corners and risk not having it last as long.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
I would not put new plaster over 30-year-old plaster, period. That old plaster is at the end of its life. I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. I had all the old plaster chipped out and replaced with Wet Edge Luna Quartz. I spent extra for the quartz due to its supposedly greater durability. Only time will tell whether it was worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.