NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Ok, I am in NJ and we received a quote for a Leisure Ultimate 40. These are the specs provided by builder what am I missing or need to ask further?

Pool/Spa: Leisure Pool Ultimate 40 - $69.5k
Automatic Cover: $19.5k
Pool Patio: Cambridge Ledgestone XL 5 foot deck surround on 3 side with 4th side 17 x 20 seating area -$19.5k
Other Hardscapes: Stepping stones & gravel at pool equipment area, $3500
Site Work: Site access, tracking pad, drainage, soil removal $5,000
Utilities:Electric and Gas Line Hookup: $5500 allowance
Lighting: (2) Landscape Lights – provided by client $800
Planting Beds: Prep planting beds with planting mix – top-dress with mulch Topsoil, seed & hay for disturbed lawn areas $1,000
Site Repair:, topsoil, seed & hay for disturbed lawn areas - $3000
Other items still TBD: irrigation repair and repair/rerouting of existing drainage if needed
Total: $125,800

Core Construction Elements
• Excavation to allow for pool shell installation
• Temporary construction fence around hole during construction
• Delivery and installation of pool shell
• Stone base under pool and stone for sides of pool backfill with 8” vertical standpipe
Plumbing Filtration Elements (Pool):
• (1) skimmer with 2” SCH40 PVC suction line to pool equipment pad
• (2) VGB-approved main drains with 2” SCH40 PVC suction line to pool equipment pad
• (3) directional returns with 2” SCH40 PVC return lines to pool equipment pad
• (5) union ball-valves for above mentioned lines
Plumbing Filtration Elements (Spa):
• (2) VGB-approved main drains with 2” SCH40 PVC suction line to pool equipment pad
• (4) spa jet combination air/water returns with choice of rotational, massage or twin-spin internals
• (1) directional return with 2” SCH40 PVC return lines to pool equipment pad
• (3) union ball valves for above mentioned lines
Electric Elements (from pool shell to pool equipment pad):
• (4) 1.5” return fittings to allow for pool lights
• (4) 0.75” SCH40 PVC Conduits run to junction box at pool equipment pad
• Water bonding fitting in skimmer as per code
• Equipotential bonding loop around pool shell and back to pool equipment pad
Equipment:
• Filtration
o (1)PentairIntelliflovariablespeedpump
o (1) Jandy CV460 cartridge filter or (1) Jandy DEV60 diatomaceous earth (DE) filter o (1)Jandycheckvalveforsuctionlines
o (1)Jandy check valve for returnlines
• Heater
o (1) Jandy 399K BTU JXi natural gas heater
• Lights
o (3) Jandy HydroCool 12V24W nicheless LED color-change lights (for pool) o (1) Jandy HydroCool 12V6W nicheless LED color-change light (for spa)
o (2) Intermatic transformers for pool/spa lights
• Controls
o (1) Jandy RS-PS4 control system – automation of pump, heater, pool lights, spa light and air blower o (1) Jandy iQ20 Web Connect – wireless connection to home router for control via smartphone
o (1) Jandy PureLink Subpanel with integrated transformer for salt system
o (2)Jandyvalveactuatorstoswitchfrom‘poolmode’to‘spamode’
• Water Sanitizer
o (1) Jandy PLC1400 salt chlorination cell kit
o (1) PoolTool sacrificial zinc anode for salt system
• Air Blower
o (1) Jandy 1.5 HP air blower for spa jets

o (1)vacuumhoseandhead
• Poured concrete equipment pad with pressure treated wood control mounting board

General information to review...

You want two skimmers. If one skimmer gets blocked or has a problem your pool is still functional when you have two skimmers. Skimmers should be placed in the two most prevailing wind directions.

All diverter valves, no ball valves. Over time ball valves stick and break. Diverter valves can always be rebuilt or repaired.

What model Intelliflo pump? Interesting that he is using a Pentair pump with all other Jandy equipment.

Why do you need a Jandy check valve in the return lines when you have a SWG? Check valve is needed only when you have an inline tablet chlorinator.

With the Aqualink PS4 you will not have any a relay available to enable separate control of your spa spillover. You should get the PS6 so your controls will be - POOL, SPA, POOL LIGHT, SPA LIGHT, SPILLOVER, AIR BLOWER.

Thank you for the feedback. A couple responses since I am new and have read as much as I can.
1. Ok on the valves, I will ask for that.
2. I had suggested Pentair pump as I read their VS speed pumps were the best and could still integrate into the automation system.
3. Check valve will ask about that (would not even have known to ask about that)
4. Will ask about the PS6, is there a big price difference.

VSP manufacturers use the RS485 interface for automation, but each with their own proprietary protocol. That's why Allen raised the issue and it's recommended to stick to the same manufacturer for controller, VSP, SWG and sometimes even lights.

The Pentair Intelliflo pump will work with the AQualink with limitations and lack of support.

Jandy Aqualink Installation Manual section 3.2.7 describes how to connect a Pentair Intelliflo pump to the Aqualink.

While the Aqualink RS can control an Intelliflo VS pump it cannot control the VF functions of a VSF pump.

At one time Jandy's F/W was made to talk with the IntelliFlo VS. Then Pentair developed a new pump that was both a VS and VF pump, the VSF. Jandy's F/W has never been updated to drive the VF portion of the VSF pump.

Speculation is several years ago the Big Three (Hayward, Jandy and Pentair) decided to share their RS-485 code, so that they could control each others equipment. Not sure why that did not continue, but as time went on, the firmware running all these systems has changed, but the Big Three no longer keep this interchangeability in mind when they update their firmware.

This is the main reason that we always recommend the same brand for products that need to "talk" to each other. It just makes things easier for installation and warranty issue.

If you want to go Pentair then go all the way with the Pentair IntelliCenter and Intelliflo pump and Intellichlor SWG. The Aqualink is ok, but the IntelliCenter is better. That combination will be a bit more expensive as Jandy offers builders more incentives to install their stuff.

I have had a 20 year old Aqualink on my pool. Rather then spend the money to upgrade it to control my Intelliflo pump I have an IntelliCenter in my garage waiting for me to get around to installing it.

For example, the IntelliCenter is modular. You don't need to get locked into 4, 6 or 8 relays as the Aqualink does. You can add boards for more relays when you need them. Also, the spa spillover function does not use a relay position although it does not use a physical relay. Internet and app support is built in and you don't need the iQ-20 add-on.

Reactions: guinness
Great write up Allen, interesting backstory. Jandy automation is OK, but it's a little dated now as both Pentair and Hayward have refreshed their product lines. FWIW, one exception for equipment interoperability is the heater and a lot of people here like the Raypak brand for reliability.

FWIW, one exception for equipment interoperability is the heater and a lot of people here like the Raypak brand for reliability.

I think gas pool heaters are a commodity. They are interchangeable and all use the same 2 wire interface with any vendors automation.

Raypak works well because it is a simple heater. It is natural draft and not forced draft with a blower like Pentair and Jandy use. Forced draft heaters have a smaller size but more complex controls that make it more expensive to maintain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.