Question on 3 HP Variable Speed Pump

cbrookerd

Jan 20, 2022
Albany, Ga
My old 1.5HP Starite finally bit the dust and I ordered a new pump from Doheny's. Going with a Harris Variable Speed, but realized I ordered the 3 HP version instead of the 1.5 HP by mistake. My question is, on my current plumbing (1.5"), am I risking issues if I keep the 3 HP and run it? Being variable speed, I don't anticipate running it at full speed RPM of course....

Pump hasn't come in yet, but yea, a reducer will be needed. I'll take care of that pretty easily if that is the only concern. I have read all over the internet about the pump being starved for water or strained due to the constriction of flow. Any concern on that? I have a 30,000 gallon pool by the way with two skimmers, cleaner, spa jets at steps, and a sand filter

I have read all over the internet about the pump being starved for water or strained due to the constriction of flow.

C,

Just goes to show that you been looking in the wrong places... :mrgreen:

I have two rent house pools that have 1.5" plumbing and 3 horsepower IntelliFlo pumps.. They both work just fine.. Even when running at full speed, there is no indication that the pump is being strained or starved of water..

That said there is almost zero reasons to run a VS pump at full throttle. I run my pools 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month.

I assume you mentioned that you have a 30K pool as if that has something to do with the size of the pump. I suspect that is because you are thinking about turnovers. Well, the idea that you have to turnover x amount of water per day to prevent algae is a myth and just not true. Chemicals keep your pool water clear and algae free. The filter is just there to capture the junk that falls into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

C,

Just goes to show that you been looking in the wrong places... :mrgreen:

I have two rent house pools that have 1.5" plumbing and 3 horsepower IntelliFlo pumps.. They both work just fine.. Even when running at full speed, there is no indication that the pump is being strained or starved of water..

That said there is almost zero reasons to run a VS pump at full throttle. I run my pools 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month.

I assume you mentioned that you have a 30K pool as if that has something to do with the size of the pump. I suspect that is because you are thinking about turnovers. Well, the idea that you have to turnover x amount of water per day to prevent algae is a myth and just not true. Chemicals keep your pool water clear and algae free. The filter is just there to capture the junk that falls into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the info! And yea, I mentioned the pool size for turnover purposes. I am new to the pool owner world as we just bought our house with a pool about 4 years ago. I'm still trying to figure all of this stuff out and am liking TFP as a resource so far.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.