Pump replacement advice

lexeverything

Jan 6, 2023
SoCal
Hello all! Been lurking on TFP since I began servicing my Mother's pool after her pool guy left the profession a few years back.
Here today to ask about pump replacement, as her original pump finally gave up the ghost. I have been reading forum posts about pumps and gathering info.
Her pool is about 14000 gallons. The original pump is a Pentair WFE-28. 2HP uprated. I am looking to replace with a new variable speed Pentair. The pool was installed in 1998, so there is nothing really fancy going on. Just a pool and spa and heater. Hayward DE6020 filter. Manual valves. Pump on Intermatic timer... pool & spa light are controlled from a switch at the timer/junction boxes at pool equipment junction boxes. No cool new automated stuff.

I am looking at Pentair variable speed pumps. Intelliflow, Superflo, etc. She is all for anything that may help reduce energy consumption.
Any suggestions on a pentair model I should be looking at, given the simplicity of her setup? Or does simplicity not factor? Should I only be looking at a pumps ability to move water efficiently? Planning for future proofing, etc.? I don't know too much about pool equipment, but I am learning.
Even though I feel I may be able to replace this pump... I am going to have a pool company come over to look and give a quote. I just want to know a bit more about what my needs are from a pump to help me choose a model and know how good or bad any service company quotes will be.
Thank you for any info/advice.
Pic of the setup:
pump.jpgpump2.jpg

Intelliflow 011056 would be a good choice. Simple pool, relatively simple pump. Get some hi-temp pump unions and the install would be easier. Also requires a ground-fault circuit breaker, 20A, double pole. Siemans QF220A, or the same thing in a box with Pentair's label for more money.
If you use another brand you will experience nuisance tripping.

Reactions: lexeverything
Thanks, Allen. I was chatting with a pool service company that I have coming out next week that said they simply remove the pins on existing timer and let timer run 24/7. That way I have a shut off if I need to service pump... but that raised my brow, as I fully expected to have to update the electrical at the pool equipment to include a new junction box that would have a code approved breaker (GFCI as was mentioned is required here) that services the pump. To be fair, the guy has not personally seen this setup yet. As it is now, there is just a common light switch that kills power to the timer that runs the pump. Again... was installed in '98, so I imagine that was to code at the time.
Pic:
timer:elec.jpg

Last edited:
If you continue following the electrical wiring it will lead you to a Circuit Breaker for your pump circuit.

The timer toggle and the light switch on the pump circuit are redundant. Code does require a maintenance disconnect within sight of the pump and either the timer or the light switch meet that requirement. Removing the toggles from the timer just saves you from needing to make any electrical changes to provide constant power to a VS pump.

Appreciate this explanation.
Regarding the pump... IntelliFlo 011056 looks very nice. Is a top consideration.
For near the same price, is the IntelliFlo 3 an unnecessary upgrade? I see it does not have the keypad of the VSF. I suppose it can only be programmed/controlled via mobile app or connected to an intelliCenter control. Does it bring anything efficiency wise that the VSF lacks? Again, this pool is rather simple... so I assume the intelliFlo 3 is overkill for this older pool setup.

The installation of the pump looks pretty straight forward. Is pump replacement something most here DIY?

For near the same price, is the IntelliFlo 3 an unnecessary upgrade? I see it does not have the keypad of the VSF.

For the same price without a keypad. The optional keypad can be added which then makes it more expensive.

I suppose it can only be programmed/controlled via mobile app or connected to an intelliCenter control.

When your IntelliCenter is in SERVICE mode anyone working on your system will need to be able to connect to the Intelliflo3 with the app if you don't have the keypad.

Does it bring anything efficiency wise that the VSF lacks?

No.

Again, this pool is rather simple... so I assume the intelliFlo 3 is overkill for this older pool setup.

Yes it is.

The installation of the pump looks pretty straight forward. Is pump replacement something most here DIY?

If you DIY the install you will not get much of a warranty from Pentair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.