Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I recently replaced my single speed main pump motor with a new Century Evo variable speed pump motor. My pressure side sweeper no longer comes on with the Easy Touch program. I can start it in Service Mode but it will not run in Auto Mode. When the program starts it in Auto Mode it goes into Delay state but never starts the booster pump even when I select Cancel Delay. Is Easy Touch programming only compatible with Pentair VS motors and not Century?

Steve,

The EasyTouch controls a VS pump using an RS-485 cable. I do not think your pump can be controlled by Pentair's RS-485 com port.

How is your VS pump wired into the EasyTouch?

Are you trying to use the RS-485 cable??

Is your VS pump still wired to get power through the Pump/Filter relay??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Steve,

The EasyTouch controls a VS pump using an RS-485 cable. I do not think your pump can be controlled by Pentair's RS-485 com port.

How is your VS pump wired into the EasyTouch?

Are you trying to use the RS-485 cable??

Is your VS pump still wired to get power through the Pump/Filter relay??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim - I think the OP is having trouble with the booster pump after the OP installed a VS main filter pump.
That should not have affected the programing for the booster pump to start but seems weird.

Steve,

The booster pump will not come on unless the system knows the main pump is already on.

Tell us more about how your VS pump if being controlled and whether you changed any of the EasyTouch's setting when you installed the new pump.

Jim R.

Reactions: HermanTX
Jim,

The Century pump is wired according to the attached picture (EasyTouch configuration). The pump motor is receiving power from the control panel relay, no changes there. The only changes to the EasyTouch settings is to designate motor one as a VS motor and then change the speeds for Main Pump, Spa, and Cleaner. I have the cleaner scheduled to start after the pool pump motor has already started.

Steve

Steve,

For the EasyTouch to control a VS pump, it uses an RS-485 cable.. Is your pump connected via an RS-485 cable to the EasyTouch??

Forgetting about your booster for a minute.. Answer this question...

If you have a Schedule for your Pool circuit to come on at say 8 am at 1500 RPM, does this work? Does the pump come on and run at the right speed?
If you have another Schedule to increase speed at say 9am does the speed increase as it should?

I suspect that the EasyTouch is not controlling your pump at all via the RS-485 com port.. The pump comes on because when the Pump/Filter relay closes it sends power to the pump and the pump is running based on whatever is programmed inside the pump's control head.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Since this pump motor is connected with only 2 wires I do not believe it qualifies as an RS 485 cable. This is not a Pentair EasyFlo VS motor so I doubt that full Pentair functionality there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Steve,

Then you can't tell the EasyTouch that it is a VS pump in the "Pump Type" set up page...

As far as the EasyTouch is concerned, you have a single speed pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Century EVO with Century Connect emulates whatever brand pump the DIP switches are set to. It can be used with Pentair, Jandy, Hayward. Tell the motor it is a Pentair and the Pentair system should treat it as such.

Jim,
The Easy Touch is configured for a VS motor {Settings > Intelliflo > Pump #1 > Type: VS). The Dip Switches in the VGreen EVO are both set to ON which tells the motor that it is being controlled by an Automation System i.e. Easy Touch.
Steve

17145771801777303057833618742563.jpg17145772273258460453144237045570.jpg

Steve,

Sorry, I did not realize that your new motor was compatible with the EasyTouch. :(

Tell me what schedules you have set up..

Your booster pump is obviously using an Aux relay. Is the Circuit Function for that Aux circuit set up as "Master Cleaner"?

When the system goes into the delay mode, when it tries to turn on the booster, is the main pump running?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,
The schedules are:
POOL. 8:10 AM - 6:25 PM
CLEANER. 8:15 AM - 10:00 AM
SPILLWAY. 1:45 PM - 6:45 PM {on separate pump}
SPA. 6:45 PM - 7:30 PM

The AUX circuit is set to MSTR CLEANER.
The pool pump is on when the Cleaner schedule starts. I have tried both ways, pump running and pump not running, but the result is the same.

I have noticed that when the Cleaner schedule starts, the booster pump clicks on for a split second but immediately shuts down. Maybe this is just the Delay function kicking on. The delay mode stays on until cleaner schedule ends. I cannot turn it off unless I change to Service Mode.

Steve

Steve,

Try the following three things.

1. Push the reset button on the main panel of the EasyTouch.. It is like rebooting your PC, nothing will be erased..

It many take 5 minutes or more for everything to start back up.. See if it all works tomorrow morning..

2. If the reboot does nothing, then set your Pool start time to 8 am.. This will allow the main pump to run for 15 minutes before trying to turn on the booster. The five minute delay timer and the five minute off set on start time, might confuse the system.. (Just guessing... :( )

2. If the time adjust does nothing, then as a test, set the Cleaner Aux Circuit Function to "Generac".. Generac will work fine based on your schedules.. It will not work, if the main pump is off and you manually turn on the booster.. I just want to make sure that your main pump and your booster pumps run like they should when not set up as Master Cleaner.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Changing the pool start time had no effect.
Pushing the Reset button also has no effect.
I just now changed the Circuit Function to Generic. I'll see if this has an effect tomorrow when the Cleaner is scheduled to start.

It's interesting that when the program starts the Cleaner cycle it appears that the Easy Touch believes the cleaner function has started successfully, the Delay light blinks continuously and is turned off at the end of the Cleaner program time. Because I can start the Cleaner OK in Service Mode but not with the Auto Mode, does Service Mode use a different motor start circuit than the Auto Mode, i.e. are there 2 different electric circuits that trigger the Cleaner power relay?

Steve

Steve,

In AUTO, everything happens automatically due to programming, schedules, etc..

In the Service mode, nothing happens automatically... Every thing has to be turn on or off manually.

So, closing a relay turns on the booster pump. It obviously is not happening automatically, but we know the relay and booster pump work, because you can turn it on manually by pressing the Aux button.

The Service mode is just that.. It makes it possible for a service tech, to shut off the system and do maintenance, without having to worry that the pump will suddenly start up, while he is cleaning the filter, etc..

Thanks,

Jim R.

This is a non Pentair VS pump. There may not be complete RS485 communication occurring.

Marty, Steve,

I suspect that there is some feedback from the pump to the EasyTouch that is missing.

That is why I want to see what happens when the Booster Circuit Function is set to "Generic". The booster's operation is not linked to the main pump operation when the Circuit Function is not "Master Cleaner"...

We will see...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
Changing to Generic worked. The Cleaner ran through it's programmed cycle normally this morning. Is it OK to leave it as Generic as long as I start the Pool Pump prior to starting the Cleaner?

Steve

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support