Pre construction questions

Jul 29, 2012
We are likely to install a large fiberglass pool in the next few months and I'm a total noob at all things swimming pool. We want something in the 15-16' wide and 40-42' long size in rectangle shape. There are 2 we are considering- The Tropic by Sun Pools-

The other has a built in spa is the Ultimate 40 by Leisure Pools-

My wife is 5'2 and we are not sure if the Ultimate's shallow end will be a bit deep for her at 4'3 (not sure if that is water or pool depth) vs the Tropic at 3' deep in shallow end. Neither is a diving pool and we have 2 teen boys, so not sure how happy they will be without a diving board. The pool is mainly for the adults as the kids will be at college in 3 years. Any thoughts on shallow and deep ends?

Also, how much concrete on each side would you get? We want at least 4 feet all around plus more on shallow end for chairs, possible small pavilion or gazebo for shade.

How many lights do I need? What BTU heater (natural gas) would you use for southern Kentucky?
Any extras you'd recommend or things you'd do differently if starting a build?

We have an aluminum fence that will need to partly come down for the build. Anyone know how much width the machinary will need to get through?

The Ultimate is only available from one PB who has serious upcharges compared to the Tropic PB. It seems everything they sell is about 30% more- concrete at 10.25/sq foot vs 6.25/ sq foot, etc. Both have decent reputations otherwise.

Last edited:
My wife is 5'2" and I'm 6'2" and our pool goes from 3'8" to 6'. The adults gravitate to the 4'-5' area and the kids to the 6' area.

We also have some friends who have a 3' deep shallow end, and it is uncomfortably shallow, even for them and they are short.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Apsuhead
Some reading...

Also, how much concrete on each side would you get? We want at least 4 feet all around plus more on shallow end for chairs, possible small pavilion or gazebo for shade.

It really depends on your property layout. Post pics of your site plan.

How many lights do I need?

Depends on what lights you use. Jandy has an excellent LED Lighting Design Guide.

Pentair guideline is to aim for 4 lumens per square foot of pool surface. For example, if the pool is 500 sq-ft then you need 500x4=2000 lumens. This would be 4 MicroBrites or 2 IntelliBrite rgb.

Inyo Pools also has a good blog on How Many Lights Do I Need For My Pool? with a table summarizing the coverage of the different Pentair lights.

What BTU heater (natural gas) would you use for southern Kentucky?

There is no substitute for BTUs. Get a 400K btu heater if you have the NG service for it.

We have an aluminum fence that will need to partly come down for the build. Anyone know how much width the machinary will need to get through?

Some builders have narrow machinery they can bring into a small opening. You need to find out what equipment a builder has.

In every respect, IMO, deeper is better. Little kids float on noodles and rings if they don't swim (wearing swim wings). I always prefer a diving pool but if that isn't an option at least as deep as possible.

To me there is something kinda awkward about standing in pool standing in water just at crotch height. Maybe that's just my odd modesty in my. thong? :sneaky:

4' minimum decking is ideal.... add more in various shapes for seating and tables.

You only want (demand) Gravel for the base and backfill. No dirt from the dig mixed in the gravel either.

Keep the questions coming :)

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
We almost finished our FG project at the end of last years season.

Anyone know how much width the machinary will need to get through?
We had a section in the front that was 9'. Our builder used a bobcat that had no problem getting in and out. Took a bit more time I'm sure because all the dirt that went out had to be one bucket at a time, and the same for all the gravel coming back.

IMG_4952.jpg

digging 4.JPG

With a narrow opening, the shell itself will probably be delivered by a crane, so it just goes up and over the house to its hole.
A neighbor sent me this photo when my shell was going in. All the neighbors came out to see the show.
IMG_5077.JPG

Also, how much concrete on each side would you get?
For us, it was hard to visualize what 4' meant around the pool, which was part of our "standard" package. For us, it is enough to walk around the pool, but not a lot of room for chairs. This is our patio still under construction. The patio on the shallow end is 4'. We added a bit more on the right side, that is six feet. We will be adding more pavers in the spring, but this may give you a visual of what it looks like around a FG shell.

IMG_5174.jpg

any extras you'd recommend or things you'd do differently if starting a build?
That is a good question, but the better question is what is it you are looking to get out of the pool? My recommendations on what I'd do or want is very focused on my family's wants and needs so yours may be different. I think when you get proposals from builders with specs, you will begin to focus in on a project and how that project fits in line with you and your family. You will also get a lot more help on the specifics then to help you towards a perfect pool for your family.

Do you have a pic of the backyard? I had a pre-existing double gate in my privacy fence and the concrete truck, crane, and equipment all barely fit through with no problems ... it is just under 10 ft wide. Our pool came with 5 ft of concrete on each side and we thought about doing 3 ft on one side and 7 ft on the other. We decided to do 5 ft on both sides and add an extra 20x5 ft area for the lounge chairs. Best decision we made aside from putting extra electrical outlet in that area too. I always prefer the deeper pools, but I'm 6'8. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.