Possible to have regular cartridge on a pentair Quad DE filter

Thomas Vegas

Mar 5, 2019
Las Vegas
Hello, probably a dumb question. But just curious, is it possible to have regular cartridges on a Pentair Quad DE filter?
Just in case the regulation changes on my county/state about DE on the sewer or just tired about DE.
If possible, probably not possible to use the backwash valve anymore, correct?

I had researched this before and found an answer on the Pentair website. Although possible to do a conversion, its probably not practical...

Is it possible to swap a quad DE cartridge filter elements with standard Cartridge filter elements?​

1answer

1. Tech Support, Dan W.
    · a year ago

The shell of the Quad filter is the same as the CCP cartridge filter. For the most part that is where it ends. The internal parts are different. Short answer to the question is, no.

Which model Quad DE do you have?

If you can find cartridges with the same dimensions, it should work.

The dimensions that need to match are length, outside diameter and inside diameter.

The different models should use the same inside and outside diameter and only the length is different.

The outside diameter is not super critical as long as the cartridges will fit in the holders and not touch the filter body.

You can probably go to a slightly smaller outside diameter but I would not use a larger OD.

Getting the exact dimensions would be best.

You can measure or find the dimensions online.

I would measure to be sure as the online dimensions are often questionable.

If you don't like DE, you can use filter fiber cellulose.

Backwash never works well on a Quad DE, so I would never use backwash with the DE or regular cartridges and just disassemble and clean.

1672163170165.png

Last edited:
The Quad DE 100 uses a set of 4 cartridges coated in pool grade diatomaceous earth to provide filtration.

The cartridge dimensions are 32.75" x 6.25" x 6.25" with a 3" center hole.

The Quad DE 80 uses a set of 4 cartridges coated in pool grade diatomaceous earth to provide filtration. The cartridge dimensions are 27" x 7" x 7" with a 3" center hole.

This reference says a 7" OD, but this is probably incorrect.

Most other references say 6.25" OD.

1672169676636.png

Last edited:
Aside from the cartridges, the QuadDE and CCP filters are exactly the same. The only thing you’d have to plumb differently is to remove any backwash valve from the system because cartridge filters can not be backwashed. Other than that, as long as you get the correct sized cartridges so that the upper manifold height is the same, you can turn a QuadDE into a CCP filter. Pentair doesn’t want you doing it because they’d rather sell you a new filter.

Pentair doesn’t want you doing it because they’d rather sell you a new filter.
Say it ain't so.

You're not so cynical that you think a business would put profit over doing the right thing, are you?

Come on, man.
The only thing you’d have to plumb differently is to remove any backwash valve from the system because cartridge filters can not be backwashed.
You can leave the valve in place, just don't backwash.

The Waste function and Recirculate are still useful.

Reactions: Newdude
Say it ain't so.

You're not so cynical that you think a business would put profit over doing the right thing, are you?

Come on, man.

You can leave the valve in place, just don't backwash.

The Waste function and Recirculate are still useful.

I drink a healthy cup of cynicism and skepticism every night before bedtime …

I was thinking more about my old school plunger style backwash valve, not a multiport. If there is a multiport valve in place, then a big red sticker with NO printed on it should be placed over the backwash valve.

Hello, probably a dumb question. But just curious, is it possible to have regular cartridges on a Pentair Quad DE filter?
Just in case the regulation changes on my county/state about DE on the sewer or just tired about DE.
If possible, probably not possible to use the backwash valve anymore, correct?
Having done at least 4, the answer is yes, just match cartridge size. Some of the Quad filters had 1" pipes in the manifold. Remove them. They were there to make sure that water evenly coated the DE cartridges.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The reason to replumb, in my mind, is to reduce the back pressure that the backwash valve has on the water flow.

One of the great things about large cartridge filters is the very low back pressure and dirt simple plumbing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

For a single speed Hayward Super II Pump 2.00 THP, replumbing could be worthwhile.

For a variable speed pump at low flow, replumbing would not help much.

In any case, replumbing is not really necessary.

The signature says Hayward Pro Series sand filter S244T.

Is the signature incorrect?

1672243684754.png

The Super II pump is really overpowered for your system.

It probably uses about 2,000 watts, which is a lot of electricity.

A variable speed pump would use about 200 watts, which is 1/10th of the power.

The pump can easily do 90 gpm, which is too much flow.

1672251198333.png

Did you replace the pump?

If yes, what pump did you get?

What speeds do you use?

What filter model and size?

Oh great, I didn't expect so much answers (especially because I believe it was a "dumb" question), thank you guys!
Right now, I am debating between a CCP filter and a DE, I will "probably" get the quad DE 100.

I was believing, like you guys, Pentair would difference their filter with 1/4" diff or so just to avoid this kind of switch and be able to sell another filter... So I didn't check the dimensions at all yet, I just wanted to be sure and have your opinion on the "technical capacity" to switch cartridges without blow the top cover filter (or I don't know which craziness).

Plan to have the FullFloXF valve mounted on it. Backwashing the regular cartridges is a hazard issue or it would damage something? I will not, just curious.

Thank you so much!

Did you replace the pump?

If yes, what pump did you get?

What speeds do you use?

What filter model and size?

I didn't yet, but took my decision with the 11075.
I was waiting to order the filter in the same time.
I am really interested by the Quad 100, even if it's too big. But the price difference between the 60 or 80 and the 100 is not consequent.
And it would give me more time between the deep cleaning periods, correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.