Pool with Kids

Jan 1, 2019
Oakville on
Not sure if TFP allowed question - delete if not - but we moved to a new neighborhood few years ago and have maybe 70% older people vs 30% younger couples with kids living around us. We built an inground last year. Last year our neighbor told us that when our kids (3 and 5 year old boys ) and sometimes their friends are in our backyard playing in a pool - they (our neighbours) can’t enjoy their backyard and we should learn how to control our kids better (ie make sure they are quiet) ?. Kids usually start using the pool around 3pm after school and inside the house by 5:30pm for dinner and bath.

My question is how would you deal with this situation ? We never had a pool before so not sure if I am supposed to tell my kids off for making noise lol (but how can you NOT make noise when you are in the pool lol).. I don’t want to tell kids to stop playing tag or jumping inside the pool cause neighbour can’t enjoy his glass of wine at 3pm. We have noise by laws but they kick in after 7pm when the kids are in bed .

Thanks

Last edited:
Not much you can do really. I think this is a case where you can ask your kids to keep it down to the extent kids can. I doubt it will ever be enough for some neighbors. Legally I don't think they have much to stand on. If you try and they don't what else can you do?

Reactions: Alexukie
That's what they make earplugs for. :pth: As some people age, I guess they forget what it was like to play and have fun. There are retirement communities for people who only want to hear birds and wind-chimes. In a traditional neighborhood, kids are going to play and get loud. Trying to insist on quite times by 3 pm is ridiculous (IMO). I have twin boys. Just wait until they become teenagers, have pool parties, and start cranking music up outside with the their friends. :rockon:

You neighbors need to be a bit more understanding and pick better times to be out back.

...and we should learn how to control our kids better (ie make sure they are quiet)

See, and that's the point where my mind goes from "well, that's not necessarily unfair" to "they're just being insufferable".

As such, I say to heck with them and their issues. Manners don't cost a thing, a lack of manners costs everything. Do nothing and ignore any further complaints.

Said somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I'm not being 100% serious in the response, which I realize might not come out in writing so I'm adding this disclaimer.

Last edited:
Alex,

There is a fine line between having fun and being obnoxious.. Since the kids are only 3 and 5, I have to assume that they are constantly under supervision.. If so, it should be pretty easy to just say "hold it down guys" when they stray over into the obnoxious side of the line.

It is no different than a constantly barking dog... It is not the dog's fault.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I moved in October because I knew a close proximity to my neighbors would be a problem. My kids are 6 and 7 and although I want them to have fun, I dont want to hear my neighbors pets and kids being loud either. I have been on night shift before and generally I like things quiet. I even traded off my first Harley because the straight pipes were too much. It is a tradeoff though to get along in a close neighborhood.

People are constantly complaining in our neighborhood and it's part of the reason I know that the pool will be a five year odyssey for me at most. Especially after living in the country for 15 years before being able to do just about whatever you want... it's tough.

Usually about dogs barking. Those people are the ones that have the kids screaming. Literally the same people. I try to mind my own business and tell others to mind their own business but I constantly get in trouble for that.

During the day time in a residential neighborhood it is normal to have kids playing and dogs barking. In your case if you are only going for 2.5 hrs/day, I would tell your neighbor he's lucky and if he keeps complaining it'll be all day.

I have found that people like this are never happy. They will always find something to complain about. if you are not breaking the bylaws of your association they have nothing to complain about. Personally I would tell them they could spend the afternoon at AA meetings instead of drinking or move to an adults only community.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've lived in one house that was inside a neighborhood where the houses were close together. Even though i did not mind it all that much since everyone in the neighborhood at the time were good people, but after that move, i'll never live in a close house neighborhood again. I enjoy being able to walk out the door and just pee in the yard any time i want. In all seriousness though... unless the neighborhood you live in has certain rules about noise levels, etc. then i say tough. If you want to live close to other people, then you're going to have to take the good and the bad that may or may not come with that. If not, then you (your neighbor in this instance) need to move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Young kids being noisy from 3-5pm is completely different than having raging parties where adults are drinking and being loud until all hours of the night... I've had a few of both. Mostly kids though. Unless the kids are really super obnoxious and loud I feel the neighbors are being unreasonable. Kids are supposed to have fun in a pool and the timing is very reasonable. Have you thought about putting in some landscaping or something to gain a little privacy. Or music to cover it up? Our fence line has a ton of trees that really give us a lot of privacy and maybe block some noise. Its nice to be nice with your neighbors, but if they cant deal with kids playing at 3pm tell them to kick rocks.

Kids play! Kids go crazy while swimming. I have a ten and eight year old that uses our pool daily. I don’t have them quiet down unless they are evening swimming after 7:30-8. Then they are required by me to swim as calmly as they can. My neighbors don’t complain but if they did I certainly wouldn’t abide by their request in daylight, after school and weekend swimming. Kids will be kids.

Thanks guys for replying.. We are in our 30s our boys are 3 & 5.. they are loud when they are in the pool like running around - jumping, playing tag, going down the slide = ie having fun.. even more so when they have some neibourhood friends come over..

our neighbours (who never had kids) approached us few times - saying that the kids should not be making that much noise and it interferes with their outdoor time and on one occasion told us to go back to where we moved from ;) after I mentioned that if they do not like the noise they might consider moving out to the country side.. ;) Our city by-laws kicks in 7pm - 7am - where they should not be any noise (or low level noise) . Our kids are in bed around that time.. Now they (our neighbours) do not speak to us at all... I do not mind - we have many other neighbors with kids who we are friends with.. but I never knew building a pool would make so many enemies.. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: White Gold
Thanks DJ - we do have cedars all around.. its just the proximity from our pool to their house is probably around 20 - 30 feet or so.. so any noise will be heard..

Young kids being noisy from 3-5pm is completely different than having raging parties where adults are drinking and being loud until all hours of the night... I've had a few of both. Mostly kids though. Unless the kids are really super obnoxious and loud I feel the neighbors are being unreasonable. Kids are supposed to have fun in a pool and the timing is very reasonable. Have you thought about putting in some landscaping or something to gain a little privacy. Or music to cover it up? Our fence line has a ton of trees that really give us a lot of privacy and maybe block some noise. Its nice to be nice with your neighbors, but if they cant deal with kids playing at 3pm tell them to kick rocks.

Never had kids.. that explains a lot... Then they will never get it for that very reason. Are they older, maybe they can turn down their hearing aids in the meantime. If you are complying with your local ordinances and HOA rules ... then they can complain all they want. There is being considerate of your neighbors, but they sound like they are unreasonable.

Reactions: QLauraQ
Thanks Guzzy.. We are in our 30s they must be in their late 60s / early 70s.. I mean I feel bad for our kids not letting them enjoy their backyard but at the same time.. I do not want to keep my kids inside the house during the day playing Paw Patrol on repeat when we have such a nice pool in our back yard .. lol

Never had kids.. that explains a lot... Then they will never get it for that very reason. Are they older, maybe they can turn down their hearing aids in the meantime. If you are complying with your local ordinances and HOA rules ... then they can complain all they want. There is being considerate of your neighbors, but they sound like they are unreasonable.

Old and never had kids explains it all.

Tell them you will introduce them to a realtor who is really nice, and that you and your family are going to be around for a long time.

Kids need to be kids and having fun is a very important part of life. You might want your kids to start learning to play drums, lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a Kindergarten teacher...............do you want me to bring my class of 21 kids over??? Now THAT is noise they will NEVER forget!!! My only rule while they are outside playing is no screaming. Screaming is only for if you are bleeding out or dying! Yelling is okay but NOT screaming...........I had one that loved to just swing and scream :roll: I had to break that habit fast! Like I said other than that it is all good!

Smile when you see them with a cute wave then go about your way. Do NOT engage them or allow them to engage you. You are being an awesome parent letting the kids play and have fun! Keep doing it!!! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Reactions: gonfishin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.