natalieatalie

Jul 7, 2021
St Peters MO
Hello, i bought a home with an inground salt water pool, i am needing to vacuum but i have no clue how to tell which valve controls which skimmer/jet/drain, can someone assist me with the best way to find this out since they did not come labeled. I have one pump, one filter, a heater (which i never use). The pool has 2 skimmers, one main drain, and multiple jets. I am able to turn everything off except one at a time? Is there any valve that must stay on and should not be turned off like a main valve or something?

I know how to vacuum but i cant figure out how to have all the suction coming from one skimmer so i can vacuum well

Any help, advice or tips is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_3431.jpg
    IMG_3431.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 16
Looks like you have valves on 3 suction lines and on 3 return lines.

You say you have 2 skimmers and a main drain so that is likely your 3 suction lines. You need to turn a valve and go around and see what changed. No way we can figure it out from across a screen.

You say you have 2 skimmers and a main drain so that is likely your 3 suction lines. You need to turn a valve and go around and see what changed. No way we can figure it out from across a screen.
is it best to just turn one at a time or should i leave one on and turn the rest on? am i risking damaging anything by doing it that way?

Natalie,

It appears to me that the top set of valves in your pic are connected to the pump.. The bottom three are on the return side.

Generally there would be one valve for the main drain and one valve for each skimmer..

My "guess" is that the valve on the top left is for the main drain and the two valves on the right are for each skimmer.

That said, only you will be able to tell, as there is no standard way to plumb a pool.. Just turn one of the three top valves off, one at a time, and go look at each skimmer and see if it is work or not. I'd start with the two valves on the top right side.

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Love
Reactions: natalieatalie
is it best to just turn one at a time or should i leave one on and turn the rest on? am i risking damaging anything by doing it that way?

I would start by turning off one at a time and see if you can identify what has changed.

What you don't want to do is turn off two pipes and discover the other one has no flow and you starve the pump of water.

Once you know each pipe has water flow then you can try two off.

also is there a way to tell
Natalie,

It appears to me that the top set of valves in your pic are connected to the pump.. The bottom three are on the return side.

Generally there would be one valve for the main drain and one valve for each skimmer..

My "guess" is that the valve on the top left is for the main drain and the two valves on the right are for each skimmer.

That said, only you will be able to tell, as there is no standard way to plumb a pool.. Just turn one of the three top valves off, one at a time, and go look at each skimmer and see if it is work or not. I'd start with the two valves on the top right side.

Thanks,

Jim R.
thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.