Pool turns green every couple of months

imranmoin

Apr 27, 2021
San Jose / California
My pool turns green every couple of months, even though we balance the Chlorine and Acid every week, run pump for 6 hours and sweep for 2 hours every day. We tried the Swimtrine Algaecide and it has helped a bit. Note that our neighbor has a huge Oak tree that drops a lot of leaves, etc. in the pool. I clean my filter every 4-6 months. I am also noticing several black algae spots in the pool. What is the best way to remove these black spots? Should I be balancing any other chemicals? Should I clean filter more often? Any other recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Ranmo !!!! You have EXACTLY what brought most of the 1/4 million memebers here. An an untold stupid high # of lurkers / quiet surfers. You. Are. Not. Alone. :)

read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and follow the Recommended Levels

specifically the FC/CYA Levels which is the holy grail of trouble free pool care.

read up and fire off any questions in the appropriate sub forum for better answers from those pros.

Oh yeah, The most important part is having your own reliable test kit. See Test Kits Compared. The Tf-100 is hands down the best value from tftestkits.net. It has more of what you’ll need, and less to expire when the time comes of what you don’t. Buying from Rebecca will ensure it didn’t sit on a shelf for a year with Leslies or an Amazon reseller.

Welcome to TFP !!!

My pool turns green every couple of months, even though we balance the Chlorine and Acid every week, run pump for 6 hours and sweep for 2 hours every day. We tried the Swimtrine Algaecide and it has helped a bit. Note that our neighbor has a huge Oak tree that drops a lot of leaves, etc. in the pool. I clean my filter every 4-6 months. I am also noticing several black algae spots in the pool. What is the best way to remove these black spots? Should I be balancing any other chemicals? Should I clean filter more often? Any other recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

you don’t have enough chlorine in the pool if it’s turning green. Get a good test kit and not the strips or the yellow colored drop test. Taylor 2006c or the TF-100.

what part of San Jose? I grew up in the blossom valley area but left a couple years ago.

Welcome to tfp 👋👋
Read up on all the links @Newdude posted. He’s got u well on your way.
Testing FC only once a week & maintaining an arbitrary ppm without knowing your cya is a recipe for trouble. They are married in a way or at least have a “special relationship”. The fact you are getting visible algae on a regular basis shows that your fc is dropping too low sometimes & possibly riding the minimum line the rest of the time. When you get your test kit in you can post your results here & we can help you along. Its not as complicated as it sounds 😊

Reactions: Newdude
What they all said, plus do not add any more of that algaecide. It is 9.3% copper and can cause all sorts of staining issues if you use it too often. Get you a good test kit to test your own water (we do not trust pool stores) and maintain your levels especially your FC.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Also I am surprised no one picked up on it, but you cannot just add chlorine once a week. It is an everyday thing, and follow the information everyone else told you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.