Lemonhead

Jun 3, 2020
Middletown NY-211
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have neglected my pool for a couple weeks. Upon testing I had zero fc. I dumped 2 gallons of shock and I’ll be buying more tomorrow to do a proper slam. I have 2 questions.
1. Will the algae spots come up with less elbow grease once the fc is high ? As of right now it’s hard to scrum away.
2. My water is clear !!! How come my water never turns green when my pool gets away from me ?. It’s definitely loaded with algae on bottom

I hate to differ with a real pro - but for mine, in the bad old days, I would often get a "bathtub" ring of green algae growing on some deep sides, or edges. Sometimes a lot, if I wasn't paying attention for a longer period. Same spots, which I presume got more sun than others. Usually water would be very clear. It was hard to scrub off. After going to SLAM levels for a couple of days, it would turn brownish, and be easy to remove. But then the water would cloud with suspended dead things.....after much work, and many days it would all go away, until I slipped up and let the FC get too low again...
Now with following the proper FC vs CYA amounts, and a SWCG to keep it always at proper levels - no more green growth all this year.

If the pool brush doesn't remove the algae quite easily, it's not algae.

Can you post a pic and can you post a complete set of test results?
I will post a full set of results w/pics tomorrow. I’m away from home for tonight. The green algae looking spots were all underneath stuff that looked like mud/dirt . I didn’t hit it with a brush but it was the pool vacuum that has bristles on it. After going over the spots the green underneath appeared and was stubborn. Again I’ll give updated stuff tomorrow morning please check back

I hate to differ with a real pro - but for mine, in the bad old days, I would often get a "bathtub" ring of green algae growing on some deep sides, or edges. Sometimes a lot, if I wasn't paying attention for a longer period. Same spots, which I presume got more sun than others. Usually water would be very clear. It was hard to scrub off. After going to SLAM levels for a couple of days, it would turn brownish, and be easy to remove. But then the water would cloud with suspended dead things.....after much work, and many days it would all go away, until I slipped up and let the FC get too low again...
Now with following the proper FC vs CYA amounts, and a SWCG to keep it always at proper levels - no more green growth all this year.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I need to close the pool soon and the water is freezing so I’m hoping I don’t have to hop in to scrub extra hard lol

I will post a full set of results w/pics tomorrow. I’m away from home for tonight. The green algae looking spots were all underneath stuff that looked like mud/dirt . I didn’t hit it with a brush but it was the pool vacuum that has bristles on it. After going over the spots the green underneath appeared and was stubborn. Again I’ll give updated stuff tomorrow morning please check back
Use your pool brush and manually scrub the spots - daily.
Your pool vac isn't going to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.