Pool Reno....

That is the question of the year!! I’m hoping everything is wrapped up by June 1. The current portion of the landscaping is to be done in the next two days. Then the pools guys come back for the pool decking and when that’s done they move onto the tiling/plastering of the pool. Once all of that is wrapped up, then the landscape company comes back for final plantings, sprinkler system and sod. None of that is available until mid to late May which is why I’m thinking June 1??

Well I was home on Friday when the pool builders were working on the spa. Their goal was to pour the concrete steps. I went to watch during the process and they were busy taking out the concrete they had poured. I was hoping for a smooth non stone polished concrete look and the mix they were using had too many stones in it.

Sooooooo, out it comes and they will come back this week to put a “less stone” product in for the step, bench and floor (and the great thing is that they had taken most of the concrete out before I went into the “spa hut” - these guys are great!).

Here are pictures of the forming - hopefully by weeks end the spa is done and the hut taken down so work can start on the decking.

FBCF5D8A-EB01-465A-B190-60D3A1AEF392.jpeg

9EAD2649-5F32-4120-9126-B1E950E75D88.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will say it AGAIN!! YOUR PB is the best I have seen!!

Kim:kim:

I have to agree. These guys have been doing a great job and I have a lot of comfort that the plaster and final product are going to be superb. I think some contractors would have just put the concrete steps/seat in and said it is what it is. For them to start putting it in, trowling the concrete and then realizing it wasn’t setting up the way they were expecting (and then taking it out, all before I saw them), speaks volumes about their attention to detail. I asked them what would of happened if they had put it in and I didn’t like it and they said they would then have to chip it out - the customer is always right and gets what they want! Fortunately it didn’t get to that stage as they are on the ball....

I can hear Kim now “you have a great PB”, and yes we do. Over the weekend they did some work mixing concrete and doing different finishes on them so we could have a look and decide which one we like. Here are the samples they did up.

AA01BBC7-0F49-49D6-971B-50C8287D3A5A.jpeg

On the left we have “troweled concrete”, the centre is “polished concrete” and the right one is “polished concrete with a bit of colour added”. I have reviewed with the boss and the centre one wins - polished concrete.

Tomorrow they are coming back to pour the step and seat, then coming back Wednesday for the floor, then polishing will take place.

Last edited:
I think they didn't do the floor because they were standing on the floor while doing the seat and step (and they wanted to do the seat and step first so they didn't have to worry about concrete landing on the floor). Now they can come in tomorrow, do the floor and then come back a couple of days later to do the polishing.

Well here it is with the step, seats and floor poured with the forms taken off. Just waiting for the polishing to take place and then moving into the decking. Progress! (And editorial note, I took the picture using the “panorama” setting which explains why it looks a tad wonky).

0AB32327-56EF-4CB7-AAA8-FFD234363BB5.jpeg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.