Pool Reno....

We also decided that we should probably have a formal plan in terms of the patio/landscaping. I think we are going to run with the following... (normally one has a plan before we get to this stage, but it seems to be all coming together).

82CD0CC7-82B6-4D03-9DB7-D6A4CB6223B4.jpeg

Looks like a nice plan. Unless there is a really good reason to keep the existing birch on the right side (say for privacy from a two story home behind you) I'd remove it. Birches have shallow root systems and you are asking for trouble with your deck in that area. Not to mention it's pretty close for debris. Birches aren't the cleanest of trees. You don't notice it much when there is grass below them.

I might also suggest a slightly narrower tree than the Vanderwolf's Pine in the corner. Perhaps a taller but skinnier columnar blue spruce (Picea pungens 'Fastigiata'). The are both nice specimen trees but just be careful of the width over the next 20 years. Pines/spruces can only be trimmed on current growth, so downsizing them later will mean have a dead area showing. Get 100% comfortable with the ultimate width (and there is no true ultimate width - because trees never stop growing unless they die) of whichever tree goes there before planting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like a nice plan. Unless there is a really good reason to keep the existing birch on the right side (say for privacy from a two story home behind you) I'd remove it. Birches have shallow root systems and you are asking for trouble with your deck in that area. Not to mention it's pretty close for debris. Birches aren't the cleanest of trees. You don't notice it much when there is grass below them.

Couldn’t agree more. We have lived with the birch for the last 7 years we’ve been in the house and it is messy. Leaves a nice rust colour stain on the coping and deck and springtime is a PITA with the pool getting filled with Crud. So out it goes! (The landscaping company is taking it out).

Will look into the suggestion for the corner planting too, thanks....

The next step is doing the horizontal surfaces. They may do that over the next couple of days (not entirely sure). After that they could totally finish the plumbing, gas work and electrical in the pool shed and we can get that tub filled!

We have also done the deal with the landscaping company. They will come in and remove all of the trees that need removing and will also dig out the new areas for the deck. The PB will then come back, pour the deck and will then turn his attention to the pool (wants the deck done first so no damage is done while pouring the concrete decking). The pool will involve the new tiles, grout and then plaster. I think he mentioned putting a structure up over the entire pool during the plastering process so that its a controlled environment (no rain, bugs, bird droppings, leaves, etc). Then once the pool is done, the landscaping crew comes back in to finish everything up (fire pit, plants, trees, bushes, irrigation, re-leveling the backyard, sod, etc.). In my optimistic head, we are wrapped up by the Victoria Day long weekend.

Welcome to April 1st - and the work starts up again in the backyard (no April Fools joke!). The landscaping company is starting to strip the backyard of the old plantings and will also remove the sod/dirt for the expanded patio. And look at the pool!!! Can't wait to jump in.... :sick:

1554131768854.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.