Pool Math........The App

I love this new app!!! Please can you add a field to track phosphates? And separate out carbonate alkalinity from total alkalinity?? Thanks

I love this new app!!! Please can you add a field to track phosphates? And separate out carbonate alkalinity from total alkalinity?? Thanks

Nether of those matter if you are following TFPC methods. PoolMath is designed to support TFPC pool care.

I am having an issue with the summary portion of the app. I want to view a one day summary of bleach used or whatever for one day only. If I select a date range for example 5/25/2021 to 5/25/2021 it says no test or chemical addition logs found for selected date range. Anyone know how to select one day only?

I am having an issue with the summary portion of the app. I want to view a one day summary of bleach used or whatever for one day only. If I select a date range for example 5/25/2021 to 5/25/2021 it says no test or chemical addition logs found for selected date range. Anyone know how to select one day only?
Let me add that to the notes to look at. It’s kinda wonky on my end too 👍

Hi pool math app gurus-- I hope this idea doesn't seem like nitpicking. As a new user of both the app and a new-ish member of the website, I'm coming across little instances where it feels like the app could be more smoothly integrated with the vast store of knowledge that's contained on the site... sometimes by just copy/pasting text from TFP guides into the app. I'm posting about this particular issue because it's an example of this lack of integration (almost) resulting in contradictory advice between the app and the site!

On the TA screen, the app is pretty circumspect in the area normally reserved for specific recommendations. See below image. After additional research, I suspect that is because TFP doesn't actually recommend lowering TA to hit a particular "target" number. This is my theory because of the first paragraph of the How to Lower Total Alkalinity guide:

"There are two reasons to lower your total alkalinity (TA) right away, because you want to slow down the rate that the pH rises, or if high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index (CSI) which puts you at risk of calcium scaling. You shouldn’t lower TA just to reach a target number. Make sure you actually have one of the above issues before lowering your TA. "

I totally understand that it's difficult to cram all the nuances of Pool School into an app. In this instance, though, the app is very nearly contradicting TFP guidance by suggesting a "target" TA without providing the qualifying guidance that TFP doesn't actually think you should try to hit that "target," unless you meet either of two conditions.

Maybe the existing TA guidance shown below could simply include the first paragraph of the how to lower TA guide...? There seems to be enough space on the page!

TAguidance.jpeg

One reason not to give specific acid dosing values on decreasing TA is because people, being new, will think it’s ok to try to lower TA by 20ppm and dump a whole bunch of acid in the pool all at once. That would cause a massive decrease in pH that could easily damage equipment and pool surfaces. So we are a little circumspect about certain additions so that people will utilize the forum for answering questions.

Integration between the App and forum will happen but it’s far more complicated a process behind the scenes with Apple and Google Terms of Service than people realize. You can’t just include links to external websites in an app or else the App stores will flag that and slap you on the wrist. Hang tight, we are always in developing mode.

One reason not to give specific acid dosing values on decreasing TA is because people, being new, will think it’s ok to try to lower TA by 20ppm and dump a whole bunch of acid in the pool all at once. That would cause a massive decrease in pH that could easily damage equipment and pool surfaces. So we are a little circumspect about certain additions so that people will utilize the forum for answering questions.
That makes perfect sense to me! And to be clear, the way the app and forum and guides work together right now — with no further changes — is really spectacular. I can’t believe it took me so long to find TFP.

That said, as currently written, wouldn’t the explanatory text on the “TA is too high” screen (that I posted previously) sort of lead people to do exactly what you don’t want them to do… if anything? While it’s not making a direct recommendation, it’s definitely hinting at a course of action that might very well be damaging to equipment, and at the very least contradicts the “don’t aim for a particular TA value” guidance of the relevant pool school guide.

Integration between the App and forum will happen but it’s far more complicated a process behind the scenes with Apple and Google Terms of Service than people realize. You can’t just include links to external websites in an app or else the App stores will flag that and slap you on the wrist. Hang tight, we are always in developing mode.

Yep, that kind of integration sounds like a nightmare, frankly. That’s why I thought just copy/pasting the first paragraph of the How to Lower Total Alkalinity guide at the bottom of the screenshot I shared previously was such a clever solution. :)

In this case we’re bouncing back and forth on the best route. On one hand we want to provide a fair amount on info to teach new users, much like you mentioned. For newer users…..more is merrier.

That said, for “power users” whom I may say are also the most vocal, a fair amount of info can easily lead to a cluttered screen and somewhat get into their way. They want the info on a decluttered page, and they want it to load like yesterday. 😂

We’ve got a few ideas to toss around still, it’s just a matter of doing stuff. In addition we’ve got a few new tracking tools to finish, whenever we get a few minutes to start………

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Perfect, thought I was just doing something wrong ; )
If it helps, if I do what wireform suggested it looks like it shows 1 day worth of logs. It shows I brushed 1x but if it had included data from both dates selected it should have said I brushed 2x since I'm in middle of SLAM and brushed 1x per day

I'd guess it's filtering from 12am on first date selected to 12 am on 2nd day selected and it can't find data with zero time between start and end but @Leebo would be one to confirm that

Reactions: bmoreswim
I was puzzled about tracking filter pressure. Under Pool Setup/What do you want to track? I set Track Filter Pressure to yes but I can't find anywhere to enter filter pressure.

When you enter a "Maintenance Log" item there's several fields to fill in and one will say Pressure.

1622598177355.png

I've been using the pool math app for four years now and today I was looking back at some of my old logs and I came across one from May 24 2018 where I had logged my SWG Cell %. I went into my setting to see if I had inadvertently turned that feature off, but I can't find it anywhere. Did this feature get removed for some reason? If so, I'm curious as to why. Or maybe it vanished inadvertently during an update.

Screenshot of my old log entry.

IMG_7584.PNG IMG_7585.PNG

It’s there. Log adding a chemical, choose SWG as the chemical.

EDIT. Oh I see it used to be under maintenance. They must have moved it to the chemical addition page at some point.

Ahh, there it is! I found it, thanks for your help. I think I liked it better the other way though, the way it is set up now I have to figure out how many hours it has been running since the last time I entered the SWG as a chemical. This way does actually give me a more accurate log of how much chlorine has been generated, but do I really want to be that accurate? I haven't decided yet. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.