Pool Math........The App

Over the last few days @mknauss and @JoyfulNoise have been testing an update on iOS in which we’ve ironed out some bugs and added a few small items. As is we’re somewhat confident we’ve got some things stable but we don’t really have anybody on Android that’s able to test the beta version for us.

Is there any active TFP member here who’s somewhat tech savvy and on Android who is willing to test a few things for us?
Lee
I would be happy to test, active Android user and have done development. Pool will be open in the next few weeks

I have a feature suggestion after helping a friend get their pool set up-- it could be really useful if there was quick access either in the test results screen or on the summary screen for the test procedure for all of the readings. I only do TA / Calcium a few times a year and I always end up having to refresh my memory-- I've got the app open already, so it would be great to have the drops of reagent and the order available quickly, including the 10 vs 25ml versions for coarse/fine readings.

Have you thought about adding “Fill water chemical levels” to the app? I tested my fill last year and lost the piece of paper I wrote it down on. Would be nice to have the reference!

Hi PS. I was thinking the same as you about the fill water chems. In the meantime, I just set up a second pool called "Fill Water" (I even named it without help, LOL) and it's always there in Pool Math for reference. I test it every spring and it has never changed yet.

Enjoy the upcoming great swim season, and best of luck for an "uneventful" year!

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
I guess I’m lucky so I only need to remember my fill TA which only applies when filling my spa & doesn’t affect my pool too much with top offs - the ch is the same as my pool & spa water, it stays all the time 25-50 & my ph isn’t crazy.

Hello,
Wasn't sure where to put the feedback I have about the app. The app works pretty good, I have a few comments I would like to bring up.

I'm using the Android version of the app 3.6.0 (3687). I don't know if this is something on IOS or others. I didn't look at it on my iPad.

- I like the chemical selection process under "chemical additions" "choose a chemical type", vs the one that is used under affects of adding. The "Choose a Chemical Type" selection takes up the whole screen and I can quickly identify the right thing I want to select, the items are categorized and its really nice. The other menu items only show one chemical and fades out to the top and bottom, its not as easy to quickly identify the right thing. maybe make it consistent so it doesn't let someone know there was a different way. lol.
- I'm pretty sure this would take a lot of thought, and might not be feasible, but I would bring it up anyway. The summary does not properly account totals for SWG for chlorine additions. for instance, if I log an addition of 14% for 8hr on my SWG, that is going to run like that until I change it. its not just a one time addition. What I was hoping to use the information for was to evaluate the total output of the SWG over the year.
- several items recommend dilution as a method of changing the value. the salt screen and CH screens says replace X% of water to lower value. it would be nice to have something similar on the CYA screen.
- Or add that to the effects of adding.. have a "replace with equivalent clean water" selection and then have amount of gallons replaced it would show a reduction of the chemicals. although this might be complicated if the properties of the fill water isn't known. I think it would be nice to have even if it was generic.
- effects of adding acid shows how much TA is lowered and approximate PH. but the TA tab just says lower PH with acid and aerate . Should there be a suggestion in that window with how much acid to use? or was there a worry people wouldn't do it right (only lower to 7.0-7.2 for each addition? )

Thanks.
-Paul.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have one suggestion for the app - though I am sure there are folks who will disagree. Recommended additional are often in weight, but volumes are really what can easily be measured (CYN, Calcium Chloride come to mind). It would be good to have some easy conversion option (I generally go online to find a conversion calculator). I know its imperfect because CYN and CaCl come in different forms, but still helpful IMHO.

- effects of adding acid shows how much TA is lowered and approximate PH. but the TA tab just says lower PH with acid and aerate . Should there be a suggestion in that window with how much acid to use? or was there a worry people wouldn't do it right (only lower to 7.0-7.2 for each addition? )
I assume you mean it says on the TA tab "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 and then aerate to increase pH"?

Firstly, note that like it says on effects of adding acid, pH is approximate cause it's assuming a TA around 100 or so. If you pull open the pH tab, the amount of acid to lower pH to a target value uses your actual TA value in the calculation for volume of acid to add. So the effects of adding tab, pH changes are approximate, but on the pH tab, the amount of acid is pretty darn close assuming you have entered the current TA of the pool (and borates, if you use them).

On your second note, the reason it doesn't list an amount of acid to use is because adding too much acid will tank the pH, which will damage any metal in the pool (pump shafts, heaters, SWCG, etc). To avoid going too low, the acid used to lower the TA must therefore be added incrementally and then the pH brought back up by aeration before more acid is added. That's why it says to lower the pH to 7.0-7.2 then aerate to increase the pH, to avoid people taking the pH down below 7.

Note that if desired, you can use the pH tab to calculate how much acid to add to drop to 7.0 based on current TA/borates. Then if you plug this number into effects of adding you'll see how much the TA will drop. But again, do not ever just add acid to target a specific TA from your current TA.

If anything, it may be useful to have a section (perhaps toggled on as a setting only if users desire) within the pH tab itself that shows the TA drop adding the acid will give?

"honey, the app told me to add 2 gal of acid.. .. now we have a lovely spot in the deep end. ".. yeah,. I could see that being a problem. :ROFLMAO:.

At least you can figure it out through the other menus.

Here is my pet peeve in the app. It shows the results of the last test even if I've added chemicals since then.

For example, my FC is 4 and I want to get it to at least 5. I dump in a gallon of 10% LC and log that. But the app still reads FC=4 because I didn't subsequently test. In a perfect world, the app would use its existing "Effects of Adding" to calculate and display the new FC level on its home page.

I understand the app is in a stable state right now and isn't going to change. But if there's a "wish list", I'd like to add this wish to it.

Here is my pet peeve in the app. It shows the results of the last test even if I've added chemicals since then.

For example, my FC is 4 and I want to get it to at least 5. I dump in a gallon of 10% LC and log that. But the app still reads FC=4 because I didn't subsequently test. In a perfect world, the app would use its existing "Effects of Adding" to calculate and display the new FC level on its home page.

I understand the app is in a stable state right now and isn't going to change. But if there's a "wish list", I'd like to add this wish to it.

This has been discussed before and while it sounds like a “reasonable” idea it’s actually a really really bad idea. The main reason is that you can never trust chemical additions to just do what you think they ought to do. You could have old liquid chlorine or measure the wrong amount or have your SWG not operating efficiently or you could have algae starting in the water. Then you would make the addition and PoolMath could add it in but, as human nature goes, you’ll say “eh, I’ll just measure it later …” and then never get to it. Then befor you know it, the pool goes cloudy and your logs no longer reflect the reality of the situation.

Certain aspects of “The Effects of Adding Chemcials” section are dead on - add XX pounds of salt raised the salinity by ZZ. But other effects, like pH and FC, are, at best, approximations. So using them as quantifiable numbers is very suspect.

Forcing people to test after chemical additions is the backbone of the TFPC Method - accurate testing of your water chemistry so you know exactly what state the pool is in and what chemicals may need to be added. Is it pain sometimes … yup. Is it the right way to do things … yup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.