benz55

Jun 16, 2020
Bay area , CA
Hello,

I have 120V lighting for my pool and spa. I have a few questions regarding how to convert to 12V for safety reasons. I do not have a transformer.
1) The spa and pool lights are turned on and off from my controller separately, Does this mean I would need 2 transformers to continue to be able to control them independently? can one transformer provide the control also for the 2 lights?
2) Do I need to run a new wire from the light to the transformer or can I use the existing wire?

I want to eliminate a 120V source going to the pool water so just changing the bulb to LED will not do that.

Thanks in advance.

1) The spa and pool lights are turned on and off from my controller separately, Does this mean I would need 2 transformers to continue to be able to control them independently? can one transformer provide the control also for the 2 lights?
To control them separately, you would need a transformer for each light. So two transformers.
2) Do I need to run a new wire from the light to the transformer or can I use the existing wire?
You can use the existing wire.

What 'controller' do you have?

Add that to your signature.
Hello,
Can I connect the spa and pool light together to the same 12v transformer as long as the transformer is rated for the proper wattage? I’m planning on using 2 -40 watt led bulbs , use the existing housing and wire and connected them both to one 100 watt transformer. I’m ok with both lights being controlled the same. Thanks

Hello,
Can I connect the spa and pool light together to the same 12v transformer as long as the transformer is rated for the proper wattage? I’m planning on using 2 -40 watt led bulbs , use the existing housing and wire and connected them both to one 100 watt transformer. I’m ok with both lights being controlled the same. Thanks
Yes, most transformers are only rated to 70% continuous so you'll likely want to go to a 300w for 2x40w bulbs (the price difference between the 100 and 300 watt pool rated transformer is negligible anyway)

Looks like the intermatic pool transformers don't list the 70-80% max that most 12v lighting transformers I have used in the past do so you likely can get away with the 100w. They do list a tech support phone number that you could use to confirm : 815-675-7000

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.