Pool Light Colors Extremely Limited

erikpiazza

Oct 13, 2020
Fullerton, CA
I'm not sure if this is a question or just a vent session, but why on earth do pool lights have to be so absurdly limited in the colors I can choose? My pool is only a year old. I specifically asked the sales guy about the lights during the contract negotiations: "Will we be able to make the pool lights any color we want like all of the smart bulbs we have in the house?" His response: "Absolutely. They're full color LEDs." Total blatant LIE. My brand new, built in 2021 pool gives me the light color options of:

1) White
2) Blue (3 shades)
3) Green (2 shades)
4) Magenta (2 shades)

And that's it. Now, the lights are capable of more as evidenced by the "America the Beautiful" setting which cycles from red to white to blue and "Fat Tuesday" which cycles through several more colors including yellow. But it's not possible to set the lights to just red or orange or any of the millions of colors I can set my $10 smart bulbs to.

I've been told by my pool builder that the salesman meant "any color that Jandy allows" when he said we could have any color we wanted. They also explained that apparently someone at Jandy decided that red pool lights look like blood, which is offensive so he's not allowing that. WTF?? And apparently, there are really only 3 other makers of pool lights and they've all agreed to stick to the same limitations?

Please, someone tell me that there's another company out there that makes LED pool lights that function like EVERY OTHER LED LIGHT ON THE MARKET and lets me decide what color light I want in my own pool?

I would just disconnect the lights from the pool equipment and connect them to my own LED controller if only Jandy wouldv'e not built the controller INTO the lights themselves (another completely stupid design).

So please, if there's some real logical reason for not letting me have red lights in my pool if I want them then I'm all ears. If there isn't one then perhaps I need to take in on myself to build my own lights (which with a 3D printer and a soldering iron really wouldn't be that hard to do).

All the pool light manufacturers have stuck to using the archaic switching protocol (used by automation) to select presets (solid color or light show).

Jandy
1. Alpine White
2. Sky Blue
3. Cobalt Blue
4. Caribbean Blue
5. Spring Green
6. Emerald Green
7. Emerald Rose
8. Magenta
9. Violet
10. Slow Color Splash
11. Fast Color Splash
12. America the Beautiful
13. Fat Tuesday
14. Disco Tech

Hayward
1. Show-Voodoo Lounge
2. Fixed-Deep Blue Sea
3. Fixed-Royal Blue
4. Fixed-Afternoon Skies
5. Fixed-Aqua Green
6. Fixed-Emerald
7. Fixed-Cloud White
8. Fixed-Warm Red
9. Fixed-Flamingo
10. Fixed-Vivid Violet
11. Fixed-Sangria
12. Show-Twilight
13. Show-Tranquility
14. Show-Gemstone
15. Show-USA
16. Show-Mardi Gras
17. Show-Cool Cabaret

Pentair
1. SAm Mode: Cycles through white, magenta, blue and green colors
2. Party Mode: Rapid color changing building energy and excitement
3. Romance Mode: Slow color transitions creating a mesmerizing and calming effect
4. Caribbean Mode: Transitions between a variety of blues and greens
5. American Mode: Patriotic red, white and blue transition
6. California Sunset Mode: Dramatic transitions of orange, red and magenta tones
7. Royal Mode: Richer, deeper color tones
8. Blue: Fixed color
9. Green: Fixed color
10. Red: Fixed color
11. White: Fixed color
12. Magenta: Fixed color

Sunseeker
1. Evening Sea: Slow animation
2. Evening Rivers: Slow animation
3. Riviera: Slow animation
4. White: Neutral White
5. Rainbow: Slow animation
6. River of Colors: Slow animation
7. Disco Baby: Rapid animation
8. Four Seasons: Slow animation
9. Party: Fast animation
10. White: Warm White
11. Red Only
12. Green Only
13. Blue Only
14. Gold Only
15. Cyan Only
16. Violet Only

Reactions: newdude
I think I will begin investigating making my own that utilize a standard LED controller, which would allow for all the colors plus vastly more control over light shows. Too bad I didn't get to keep the one that my pool builder just had to replace because it died after 11 months. It would've been handy for building a prototype.

You should take a look at the following that uses Digital Multiplex (DMX) protocol.

You should take a look at the following that uses Digital Multiplex (DMX) protocol.

Very interesting, thanks!

Hayward also has OmniDirect Mode (for Universal ColorLogic Lights built after June 2018) that allows for the following:

OMNIDIRECT MODE FEATURES
  • Instant navigation to desired colors or light shows (no more cycling through every option)
  • Dimming capabilities (20% increments)
  • Speed adjustment for light shows
  • Access to 10 additional colors for increased customization opportunities (special occasions, sports teams, school colors and more)
OmniLogic is capable of sending a digital message over the low voltage line, but unclear if it uses the DMX protocol.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
OP doesn't have the old style light niche where you can change bulbs. Based on the failure rate of the new style nicheless lights, I'm sure they wish they did.

OP doesn't have the old style light niche where you can change bulbs. Based on the failure rate of the new style nicheless lights, I'm sure they wish they did.

It's an interesting consideration in a new pool -- ours was built around 1963, but if I built a new one I would insist on old-style light niches that can take a relatively generic bulb. Bulky and visually obtrusive yes, but I see a lot of issues with specialty/proprietary lights both here and from people I know. I did convert ours to 12V partially because of some sketchy wiring including a junction box under the diving board, but most of the cheap LED bulbs have 12V versions.

On the other hand, OP, you're not missing much -- most of the additional colors you don't have look pretty crappy. Red, for example, is very dark and unusable as a steady color on all the color changing bulbs I've seen (I think the red that properly combines with the green and blue to make white and other colors isn't as suited as if it were a dedicated bright red LED). I wouldn't be surprised if a brand-name avoided it for safety reasons. Someone could sue Jandy; I'm guessing "Cynlink" or whatever offshore company made the one I have is going to be a lot harder to find when someone gets injured.

I'm not sure if this is a question or just a vent session, but why on earth do pool lights have to be so absurdly limited in the colors I can choose? My pool is only a year old. I specifically asked the sales guy about the lights during the contract negotiations: "Will we be able to make the pool lights any color we want like all of the smart bulbs we have in the house?" His response: "Absolutely. They're full color LEDs." Total blatant LIE. My brand new, built in 2021 pool gives me the light color options of:

1) White
2) Blue (3 shades)
3) Green (2 shades)
4) Magenta (2 shades)

And that's it. Now, the lights are capable of more as evidenced by the "America the Beautiful" setting which cycles from red to white to blue and "Fat Tuesday" which cycles through several more colors including yellow. But it's not possible to set the lights to just red or orange or any of the millions of colors I can set my $10 smart bulbs to.

I've been told by my pool builder that the salesman meant "any color that Jandy allows" when he said we could have any color we wanted. They also explained that apparently someone at Jandy decided that red pool lights look like blood, which is offensive so he's not allowing that. WTF?? And apparently, there are really only 3 other makers of pool lights and they've all agreed to stick to the same limitations?

Please, someone tell me that there's another company out there that makes LED pool lights that function like EVERY OTHER LED LIGHT ON THE MARKET and lets me decide what color light I want in my own pool?

I would just disconnect the lights from the pool equipment and connect them to my own LED controller if only Jandy wouldv'e not built the controller INTO the lights themselves (another completely stupid design).

So please, if there's some real logical reason for not letting me have red lights in my pool if I want them then I'm all ears. If there isn't one then perhaps I need to take in on myself to build my own lights (which with a 3D printer and a soldering iron really wouldn't be that hard to do).
2022 new Pool owner and you summarized exactly what I was wondering. There is no reason we shouldn’t be able to create our own custom modes. The lights are capable of any color…the program presets just don’t allow it. We were also told it would work just like a HUE light and now we have bright neon colors that look like a car wash instead of the soft whites to match our landscape lighting. I’m very disappointed in these lights. For the price I should be able to pick any color I want! Appreciate if anyone has found a solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.