Pool builder is recommending SuperPump 1.5hp (not VSP)

i see now, so without automation, basically my life will be, "Husband, please turn the heater on!" In which point i will say "The pool is warm enough and it's 95 degrees outside!" then after being nagged enough i will have to get up go outside turn the heater on and make sure the VSP is putting out the proper RPMs.

One other clarification...you cannot "just leave a heater on"... Once turned on w proper RPM's & heater temp higher than water temp, it will only run up to 4 hrs, then shuts off, for safety purposes
Where are you getting this information?

The heater can run continuously until the set temperature is reached.

i see now, so without automation, basically my life will be, "Husband, please turn the heater on!" In which point i will say "The pool is warm enough and it's 95 degrees outside!" then after being nagged enough i will have to get up go outside turn the heater on and make sure the VSP is putting out the proper RPMs.
With the OmniLogic, you can check the water temperature from anywhere and adjust the heat pump set point.

Otherwise, you have to keep going out and adjusting things manually.

Best analogy I can give is to see if you can
find a TV that has no remote and when you want to change the channel or turn up vol, you get out of your chair ea time to do so snd start turning knobs. You also can't program your TV to turn on at certain times & record movies, but you could get up, plug in a tape in your VCR and record the show...convenience

Where are you getting this information?

The heater can run continuously until the set temperature is reached.
James,

I was referring to cycling once the temp is met...it will cycle on and off to the set temp, but after 4 hrs of being on, it will turn off...that's how my 400,000 BTU Hayward Heater works w Automatuon. In fact, my remote has an actual count down time from when heater turns on and goes in reverse from 4 hrs to zero time & shuts off...my gear is circa 2014-2015 so some technologies prob have changed. It's a safety feature so someone cannot become "too relaxed" in a spa & fall asleep.

Best analogy I can give is to see if you can
find a TV that has no remote and when you want to change the channel or turn up vol, you get out of your chair ea time to do so snd start turning knobs. You also can't program your TV to turn on at certain times & record movies, but you could get up, plug in a tape in your VCR and record the show...convenience

i think ill probably take a few seasons to see how we use the heater to make a more informed decision. In the meantime I'll probably install a 100 amp intermatic sub panel with timer (for the salt water generator) and then run the VSP and heater in dumb mode.

James,

I was referring to cycling once the temp is met...it will cycle on and off to the set temp, but after 4 hrs of being on, it will turn off...that's how my 400,000 BTU Hayward Heater works w Automatuon. In fact, my remote has an actual count down time from when heater turns on and goes in reverse from 4 hrs to zero time & shuts off...my gear is circa 2014-2015 so some technologies prob have changed. It's a safety feature so someone cannot become "too relaxed" in a spa & fall asleep.
Ok, I suspect that it's a feature that can be used, but it's not standard practice as far as I know.

I’m looking up size recommendations for the pump for 20160 gal pool and everything I’m reading looks to be saying 2.7hp is too much. Any reason you guys are recommending such a large pump?

A VS pump is really a Variable HP pump. So you run it at the level you need it.

Look at my signature for pump size versus pool size.

I have a Tristar VSP. If I could do it all over again I'd insist on a Pentair. I am going to have a warranty call soon in less that a year old to do something about the rear fan or rear bearing on the motor that is starting to squeak. But... otherwise without automation you have digital control that is only slightly annoying to program, a clock that runs a little fast--- but it works okay. I figure with my non-automated timer on the SWCG I'll have to reset both clocks about every three months or so to keep them adequately in sync with each other. (The SWCG digital time I used, of course runs a little slow.) You can set it up to use relay control for low and high and those could be set. I might do that some day and build my own control system for everything. But you don't NEED it. I'd put the money somewhere else in the pool than automation. My neighbor has every bell and whistle on the automation (including that worthless Ozone system) and I think it ran him an extra 5k. It is cool when it works, but if you have an Amazon Alexa it works about that well.

On Hayward: You'll be able to set the temperature and start up the heater. If you have salt you can set percentage, on off and "turbo" modes, but not read temperature back. He can control the Ozone thing, switch the valves to Spa mode, etc, It impresses the neighbors....I would rather have a vacation to Europe, but that is me....

"Alexa, turn the Spa on." Here is a suggestion on types of spaghetti from Amazon. No, stop. "Alexa, turn the Spa on". OK. Set spa to 103 degrees. "Turning table lamp off". This is automation in the 21st century and it works the same way with the pool automation, trust me. Amazon has on record some of the most profane sentences ever constructed by man from me alone..... But that is what I hear when I am at the neighbors... and for lights in my own home....My non automated system does have "Alexa" for the pool light. Usually it turns on and off on the second try....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a VS pump, swcg and heater with no automation. Recently upgraded from a single speed 1.5hp Hayward Superpump.

Since my pump is 3hp I would have to run it at like 500 rpms to provide inadequate flow which is something that will never happen so I'm not worried about that. If I want to turn on the heater I just manually flip the switch on the heater.

The swcg is on a mechanical timer. I use the internal timer/schedule on the pump to control run speed and run duration.

The only benefit for automation for me would be I could turn on the heater without having to physically hit the switch. It costs so much to heat the pool that I rarely use it so the benefit isn't a big one.

Yes you do get a cool dashboard with automation which shows the status of the various components but again that's not something I'm too concerned with.

If I was building a pool witha sauna, water features, bubblers, lights, all that thenyes automation for sure. For my heater, swcg and pump I'm doing fine without.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.