Rancho Mission Viejo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So, my plumbing was done the yesterday and from what I see, the plumber didn't comply with some of the basic instructions in the manual. I have two Intelliflow VSF and a Whisperflow 2HP and from what I can see, there should be at least 10" of straight pipe leading into the pumps before a fitting and I have 4" on my circulation pump and zero on the spa booster and feature pump.

over_view.jpg

The manual states this is important to help prime the pump and help it last longer...which brings me to another potential issue...my pool is raised 18" above grade. I'm guessing the waterline will be about 8" down, so, by that math, these pumps will likely be below the waterline, at least partially if not completely on the suction line. Might that mitigate the issue a bit? Or is it really not all that big a deal to begin with?

I'm also concerned about maintenance as there is no union on the suction of the circulation pump or on the return of the booster.

pumps_side_view.jpg

All that said, it isn't like there was much room to work with and if it isn't likely to cause problems, I'm not inclined to bother raising it with my PB. If/when there are problems, I can just redo it myself...but if there are serious concerns with the work here, I'd just assume tell the guy I expect better.

Thoughts?

You actually have a pretty good length of pipe to the inlet of your pumps. Just because those valves are there doesn't mean that they don't count as a straight section of pipe since those valves are completely open on the inside.

A typical pool does not have those valves on the inlet of the pump but yours was installed that way because you're water line is higher than the pumps. When you go to open the pump basket to clean it you'll have to close those valves or else the pool water will overflow out the top of the pumps.

You don't have anything to worry about. That's not the best install I've seen but it's very far from the worst.

The straight section of pipe recommendation is completely negated by having a pump basket in front of the impeller.

You're about due for a pedicure

Awesome, that makes me feel a lot better! Yeah, it's about 12" before the elbow/tees.

I know any fitting or valve contributes to loss calculations so I was thinking that may factor in some way; the manual says "valve, elbow or tee" but it makes sense to me that elbow/tee would be the bigger impact. If it wasn't done this way I'd have needed twice the pad to fit everything. As it is, the acid container is going to have to go on the side as we ran out of space on the pad...in my best Roy Schneider impersonation, "You're gonna need bigger pad."

Pre-plaster inspection planned for week after next...then the aqua bright goes on!

Reactions: bdavis466
Awesome, that makes me feel a lot better! Yeah, it's about 12" before the elbow/tees.

I know any fitting or valve contributes to loss calculations so I was thinking that may factor in some way; the manual says "valve, elbow or tee" but it makes sense to me that elbow/tee would be the bigger impact. If it wasn't done this way I'd have needed twice the pad to fit everything. As it is, the acid container is going to have to go on the side as we ran out of space on the pad...in my best Roy Schneider impersonation, "You're gonna need bigger pad."

Pre-plaster inspection planned for week after next...then the aqua bright goes on!
Nice! What color?

Let me know when it's going in... i'll swing by and keep an eye on Brett😜

We're going with Pacific Blue it seems like. He thought ice ice bay bay could work but I think he felt the darker color might work best given our pool depth, benches and whatnot. I'm decision'ed out at this point...as we used to say when I got married, it's just a freakin' cake...

I'll let you know when we get scheduled -- I'm sure Brett will enjoy being pestered by a peanut gallery! My kegerator won't be in but I'll have bottles. :)

• Love
Reactions: bdavis466
We're going with Pacific Blue it seems like. He thought ice ice bay bay could work but I think he felt the darker color might work best given our pool depth, benches and whatnot. I'm decision'ed out at this point...as we used to say when I got married, it's just a freakin' cake...

I'll let you know when we get scheduled -- I'm sure Brett will enjoy being pestered by a peanut gallery! My kegerator won't be in but I'll have bottles. :)
Sounds good. Let me know👍

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.