Please help…fine, gray substance impossible to clear

dragonfly12

Apr 30, 2022
AL
Hi, I have this exact problem that is described below in an old/inactive thread in this forum. I have spent thousand of dollars on chemicals of all kinds and vacuums ( thrown out my back). It is not just in the shade and always comes back in the same places. I cannot vacuum (tried manual vac, robotic vac, etc.) it bc it disperses immediately when anything gets near it. Most is actually in the shallow end. It’s on the floor and steps, not sides. I’m literally at my wits end. I’ve put on skimmer socks to try to catch fine debris….nothing works. I’ve used 4x shock dosage numerous times, yellow out, super algaecide, keeping chemicals balanced, eliminated phosphates. I have an in ground saltwater pool. I’d appreciate any suggestions. Pool company suggested replacing sand and checking for broken parts/laterals in sand system. But, the substance isn’t sand, and I don’t find anyone else recommending changing out the sand. I think it’s just too fine to filter/vacuum. I read about putting an actual white sock on the return into the pool to catch it, but I didn’t understand where to put the sock. I thought the jets were the returns. The pool is clear also. It just looks like pale gray “sand” in various spots. If it’s dead algae (unsure how anything could live through 20 diff shock/super shocks, etc) how do I remove it , and is it just recirculating back into the pool or never clearing out? The robotic vacuum picks up a little but mostly disperses it when it comes near it. Hours later, it’s back in the exact same places.

original post by another member:

I have this gray sand like stuff..not gritty though, nor slimy, on the bottom of my pool. Some of it is stuck to the vinyl and needs to be scrubbed off. I've seen other threads about this but I can't find one with my exact circumstances. I have a sand filter with a paper cartridge filter downstream of it. I had the volcanic sand in the filter from when the pool was new 8 years ago. The gray sand problem only started happening about a year and a half ago. I thought it was because the sand was getting old and breaking down and passing through the laterals but couldn't figure out how it was getting through the cartridge filter. BTW this sand is completely absent from the cartridge filter as well as the filter housing. I replaced the volcanic sand with silica sand 1 week ago. I removed the lateral assembly and checked it for cracks and damage, none found. The exact same gray sand is still collecting on the bottom of the pool. If it is from the sand filter, how is it getting past the cartridge filter and why is there never any residual sand in the filter housing? If it is not from the sand filter, then what the heck is this stuff? It isn't the same as the dirt from the environment around the pool, that dirt is brown. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
DragonFly, welcome to TFP
It definitely sounds like algae- dead and possibly alive too. I'm seriously sad you've been on this run-around with all those pool store chemicals. I can't imagine the cost?!!

IF it is truly dead- your filter may not be catching it. Filter sand can "channel" but you can fix that by opening it up and giving it a good deep clean. That is assuming your sand hasn't been gummed up by FLOC and clarifers? (we NEVER recommend them at TFP)

If you want to try something I would suggest adding a layer of POOL DE to your filter (following these directions) and seeing it if will trap the problem of dead algae.

BUT...your bigger problem is that you're using pool stores to tell you what to do to your pool. You NEED your own quality test kit and learn to use only the most basic of chemicals and you will save a TON and get sparkling gin-clear water.

We use one of two test kits: The TF-100/Pro option found at www.tftestkits.net or the Taylor K-2006C The test kit *must* contain the FAS-DPD Chlorine tester. No "Guess-STrips" will do. No pool store tests as they usually are wrong.

We buy only the chems our pool needs.... Liquid Chlorine, Muriatic Acid, Stabilizer...... and sometimes Borax/Baking Soda.
Those are the basic chems that pool stores sell but at jacked up prices. We shop at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart... you get the idea?

Please get a good test kit and tells run these tests: We'll then know what needs to be done....and what doesn't!
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

We're happy to help you. We're not selling anything, and we've all be beginners to this journey or burned by pool stores too.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: mariane
OOops....,forgot to add this helpful link-

DragonFly, welcome to TFP
It definitely sounds like algae- dead and possibly alive too. I'm seriously sad you've been on this run-around with all those pool store chemicals. I can't imagine the cost?!!

IF it is truly dead- your filter may not be catching it. Filter sand can "channel" but you can fix that by opening it up and giving it a good deep clean. That is assuming your sand hasn't been gummed up by FLOC and clarifers? (we NEVER recommend them at TFP)

If you want to try something I would suggest adding a layer of POOL DE to your filter (following these directions) and seeing it if will trap the problem of dead algae.

BUT...your bigger problem is that you're using pool stores to tell you what to do to your pool. You NEED your own quality test kit and learn to use only the most basic of chemicals and you will save a TON and get sparkling gin-clear water.

We use one of two test kits: The TF-100/Pro option found at www.tftestkits.net or the Taylor K-2006C The test kit *must* contain the FAS-DPD Chlorine tester. No "Guess-STrips" will do. No pool store tests as they usually are wrong.

We buy only the chems our pool needs.... Liquid Chlorine, Muriatic Acid, Stabilizer...... and sometimes Borax/Baking Soda.
Those are the basic chems that pool stores sell but at jacked up prices. We shop at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart... you get the idea?

Please get a good test kit and tells run these tests: We'll then know what needs to be done....and what doesn't!
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

We're happy to help you. We're not selling anything, and we've all be beginners to this journey or burned by pool stores too.

Maddie :flower:
Thank you so much!!!

OOops....,forgot to add this helpful link-
Thank you so much for all of the information!

I couldn’t get great pictures today, but I’ll attach a few here. It always comes back in the same places, but not on the sides, just bottom and steps. Thank you!

Attachments

• 7E4FF616-A2B3-45B5-BE0F-4591560C4041.jpeg
    7E4FF616-A2B3-45B5-BE0F-4591560C4041.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 8819A4DC-2F3D-4DF5-AD96-8A1921A5ABA4.jpeg
    8819A4DC-2F3D-4DF5-AD96-8A1921A5ABA4.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2007B750-F9F0-45C8-AD8B-4FCAE5604467.jpeg
    2007B750-F9F0-45C8-AD8B-4FCAE5604467.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 03C1AF98-C981-42D8-9CCE-B5EBE045AC25.jpeg
    03C1AF98-C981-42D8-9CCE-B5EBE045AC25.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 55FD64A6-48A8-4F15-A0AA-8D8F855DAA66.jpeg
    55FD64A6-48A8-4F15-A0AA-8D8F855DAA66.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 75D524B6-022C-4113-B81F-292449BA1D3F.jpeg
    75D524B6-022C-4113-B81F-292449BA1D3F.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 26
Yippy Skippy's got you covered.
It is algae. No sock or robot will "catch" it. Only the filter.
If you could manually vacuum the pool, it will pick up the algae and take it directly to the filter.
Brush the walls and floor and it causes the algae to circulate, making it easier for the filter to catch it.
It is a bit slow with a sand filter, but it can be cleared.
Along with the test kit, liquid chlorine bleach and pump on 24/7 to clear the algae, you will also need a lot of P.O.P. Pool owner patience. :wave:

Yippy Skippy's got you covered.
It is algae. No sock or robot will "catch" it. Only the filter.
If you could manually vacuum the pool, it will pick up the algae and take it directly to the filter.
Brush the walls and floor and it causes the algae to circulate, making it easier for the filter to catch it.
It is a bit slow with a sand filter, but it can be cleared.
Along with the test kit, liquid chlorine bleach and pump on 24/7 to clear the algae, you will also need a lot of P.O.P. Pool owner patience. :wave:
Thank you! I’ve been vacuuming to waste twice a day to bypass the filter. As someone else recommended, I’ve also been channeling my inner “Marsha Brady” and bushing nonstop!! Pump hasn’t been off in 2 weeks! I ordered the test kit Yippy Skippy recommended and will try DE tomorrow. I’ve told my daughter that the inscription on my headstone will need to read “The pool won”. Thank you, again

Once you get your test kit and test the water, you'll know exactly how much CYA you have and therefore how much chlorine to add to get the SLAM going and clear up the pool.
Were you able to read up on how to SLAM=shock level and maintain? It's the "maintain" part that newbs have trouble with. It requires numerous tests and repeated addition of liquid chlorine throughout the day to keep the shock level maintained. You will not be using the SWCG during the SLAM.
I have to SLAM my pool every spring and never vacuum to waste.

Also, would you please fill out your signature so we can see what type/size pool and filter you have, pool surface, pump.
You can do this. The algae does not have to win. If you follow the pool store advice, the pool store AND the algae win and you lose. We've all taken back our pool from the pool store and the algae loses.

Right now you're vacuuming up dead algae as fast as new algae is growing and dying.

Your water will look like this once you get your test kit and complete the SLAM Process:

Reactions: texasAUtiger

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.