Planning new build in NY

Thank you for putting in the time and effort to make suggestions. there’s no way to block My neighbor on the side and across the street from 2nd floor window to see the pool. I can’t plant big trees since my pool is very close to septic. Pictures from the street view is hard to tell cuz it’s blocked by the raised septic mound. We hired the septic company mapped the septic lines w camera. I am going to ask the PB to put an orange fence 1-2’ around the perimeter of the septic lines to protect it.

The previous owner had a big wooden deck and pergola. My husband had to lightly sand it and poly it every 2 yrs. it’s very labor intensive.

I was only asking for the pic from the neighbors house to get a better idea of what the actual grades look like against your house, and the pics from the street would give a better idea of the grade changes of your property. It appears the yard slopes up from the tank cover to the septic field then back down to the neighbors property.

Reactions: newpoolbuild
The builder only brought enough dirt to cover the leach field that’s why you see the raised area cut diagonally across my side yard. There’s still ~25-30’between the end of septic to my neighbor’s driveway and to the rear property line, so that’s where the trucks will access my yard. Not from the house side. But excellent point of no trucks going over the feed lines between septic tank to septic pump to junction box. Thanks you.

I was only asking for the pic from the neighbors house to get a better idea of what the actual grades look like against your house, and the pics from the street would give a better idea of the grade changes of your property. It appears the yard slopes up from the tank cover to the septic field then back down to the neighbors property.

Attachments

• AB902EE5-A68F-4DB8-850F-01D71D3F0B9E.jpeg
    AB902EE5-A68F-4DB8-850F-01D71D3F0B9E.jpeg
    560.1 KB · Views: 29
  • AFF75BF2-E02D-4A13-B56E-C2D669443018.jpeg
    AFF75BF2-E02D-4A13-B56E-C2D669443018.jpeg
    590.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 9BE602B7-2475-4BAE-BFED-4C90AB147412.jpeg
    9BE602B7-2475-4BAE-BFED-4C90AB147412.jpeg
    594.4 KB · Views: 30
I would wait til spring you wont get any mud. Worry about the pool and the wall getting built. You can get the base set and compacted and leave the gravel base sit all winter it only makes it more settled and compacted in spring. Your builder did the least amount of work finish grading your yard it would have been easy and cheap to build a boulder wall and set some flat areas up.

Thanks those helped a lot.. Is the proposed hight of the pool about the same as the top of the septic?
As Jimmy said this will be a difficult build. Be sure to pick a PB with plenty of experience. A inexperienced builder could quickly get in over there head on this one. One more item of concern will be ground water. Septic fields are designed to be 5' above ground water so it is likely that your pool bottom will be below the ground water.

Yes. Pool would be same height as septic. It’s all rock under the pool that’s why the septic need to be raised. The house behind us on much higher ground than my house. It’s a down hill slope all the way to the street in front of my house.

Thanks those helped a lot.. Is the proposed hight of the pool about the same as the top of the septic?
As Jimmy said this will be a difficult build. Be sure to pick a PB with plenty of experience. A inexperienced builder could quickly get in over there head on this one. One more item of concern will be ground water. Septic fields are designed to be 5' above ground water so it is likely that your pool bottom will be below the ground water.

OMG, I wish I started building in the summer instead of Fall. We had some delays in our PB process. Now the PB tells me that due to the sub 50 degree weather. we can't complete the build. Can someone please help me with this backward process and see if this make any sense.

This is the plan now: pour concrete collar outside steel pool wall, finish plumbing, electric, install intellicenter, intellifo pump, IC60 salt generator, pentair sand 300 ib sand filter, master temp 400 NG heater. back fill with 3/4" crushed stone. Do stones need to be LIFT Compacted too? INSTALL frame for automatic pool cover, built the casing and track for that, finish travertine pool decking.

Next Spring: install vermicullite, vinyl liner, then click in the automatic pool cover, pool coping?

Why put the pool equipment out to sit in the winter weather? I would leave the equipment in storage until the snow melts. You should have plenty of time to get it installed in March.

What plains does he have to protect the dirt from the elements aka rain washing it out?

You cannot put in a liner in the burrrr (under 60 SUNNY degrees) it will not stretch enough to fit properly :(

I am with Allen-do not put the equipment out until time to finish the pool.

he will back fill w stone and put travertine pavers on now. So the pool deck is clean. Then put the mesh winter safety cover over the pool. In spring, put in vermiculite and liner. Now I am thinking of not installing automatic pool cover( it might cuz too much maintenance problem and not as cost effective?)

if I wait until spring to do everything. The mud wall will collapse around the pool wall even with concrete collar around it? Does concrete collar usually come before plumbing?
What plains does he have to protect the dirt from the elements aka rain washing it out?

You cannot put in a liner in the burrrr (under 60 SUNNY degrees) it will not stretch enough to fit properly :(

I am with Allen-do not put the equipment out until time to finish the pool.

They can rough in plumbing and electrical now. Just don’t do equipment hookups at equipment pad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do stones need to be LIFT Compacted too?

No, not if it is clean stone without fines. 3/4" is usually the best.

No updated pics... ???

It sounds like the frame is up?
Did they hit water or ledge?
Did the PB give you a sump to the bottom of the pool floor to de-water in the future?
Did they finish the walls?

:nopic:

Has the PB told you how he will prep for the patio?
Travertine is best when set on a cement slab with 1" sand bedding.
Installing patio in freezing temps can be challenging to do as well. You do not have to worry about frost with the 3/4 clean stone however You do not want frost under the slab or any gravel in the areas where there is no stone. Compacted material will freeze quickly. You should see plenty of frost blankets to keep things thawed out.

Thank you all for the support and help. Here’s a pic. Reg pool, basically nothing except the hole and the steel wall frame. The original plan was to install 4 small RSmith led lights on the side. But it is not compatible with intellicenter. So now if I want to change to intellibrite 5g, I need to buy a brand new panel of wall with a precut hole? What should I do? They haven’t drilled 4 holes on the side yet.

Attachments

• 86492DE9-946B-48F3-9ABA-75E65E0D73BC.jpeg
    86492DE9-946B-48F3-9ABA-75E65E0D73BC.jpeg
    714.7 KB · Views: 33
I don’t think the PB will pour a concrete base for the patio. What would the the drawbacks of dry set? The PB said having drains surround the perimeter of the pool to daylight is suffice wo putting a pump underneath the pool once the pool is filled with water.

I think you should go for the auto cover. I have pools with them and the pool remains cleaner and most used for a longer swim season. There is very little that go wrong with them but they are a huge advantage. If you don't do it now it can't be done later the same way. You will be heating the sky if you don't have the cover and I don't think you want to mess with those very cumbersome solar covers. i have a pool that opens every year April 1rst and closes mid to end November. We just closed it 2 days ago and had the last swim 3 days ago..

I don’t think the PB will pour a concrete base for the patio. What would the the drawbacks of dry set?

Travertine pavers are set with very little to no joint spacing so any settling is far more noticeable than with typical concrete pavers. They can also chip if they settle. The concrete slab will give uniform support so individual paver settling is eliminated. Your backfill will have dissimilar materials. The areas on top of the stone backfill will have very little to no movement and all other areas will be subject to movement from frost.

I would ask if he would be willing to do a slab and what the extra cost would be.

The PB said having drains surround the perimeter of the pool to daylight is suffice wo putting a pump underneath the pool once the pool is filled with water.

Nice to see they are going to run drain to daylight. They should encase the outfall pipe in stone and filter fabric.

This of course will only drain the water to to the bottom of the pool walls. I am not sure if it will be a issue if you have to replace the liner. I would certainly want to be able to lower the water table to the bottom of the pool if I had to change out a liner. Hopefully others will chime in with there opinion.

Your PB sounds like a yoyo. He never explained he cant set a liner in the fall? I always install a full depth sump in deep end unless I know 100% it's high and dry always. The perimeter drain to daylight is nice if he can actually daylight it with pitch. He plans to do decking now and coping later? That's news to me unless its irregular type coping material. I also agree with going with auto cover they are great if you dont want to mess with solar covers and will heat the pool. Not a fan of travertine for our climate. Lots of nice pavers out there that are forgiving and look really good.

It appears they removed a "Bit" of rock, However the the hole does not look like your typical ledge dig. Did he shim up the hole before placing the walls and if so what type of material did he use? Or was all that rock just buried up there?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.