Pentair Warrior SE - length of power cord and Aux power control

Robot stopped after 2 hours. Still TBD is how long it will run once I have the smart plug.
I purchased Kasa's outdoor smart plug, downloaded the app, and connected the plug to my WiFi. I then plugged the control box into the smart plug, and put the control box into automation mode per @setsailsoon's steps in post #54. My Dolphin started moving about the pool, and I was able to turn it off using my phone. Nice! I then created a schedule in the app to run the robot for 2 hours every other day, which is normally what I do manually anyway. Worked perfectly.

I intend to really only use the automation when we're away from home for extend periods. Being retired we tend to take off for a couple weeks at a time, so this automation will solve the problem of starting up the robot while we are away.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this solution.

Last edited:
Mine stops after 2 hours either way. Probably twice as long as needed to get my pool completely cleaned. I may try to experiment with shorter times to optimize run time.

Mine stops after 2 hours either way. Probably twice as long as needed to get my pool completely cleaned. I may try to experiment with shorter times to optimize run time.
You “should” be able to set a schedule for 1:45 then 5 minutes later run a 2nd run for the same time.
I run mine for around an hour at 1am then 1:30 at 5:30am so it’s clean when i get up

Yes, that's what mine does. 2 hours for your size pool should be waaay more than needed unless you have very unusual circumstances. I thought I had a pretty good suction cleaner prior to the robot but the difference was pretty remarkable. Only took two or cleanings to get it way better. My guess right now from watching it is 1 hr is plenty. My pool's totally enclosed screened in so you may have more contamination. But I think frequency is more driven by how long it takes to get a pass over each part of the pool bottom.

2 hours for your size pool should be waaay more than needed unless you have very unusual circumstances. I thought I had a pretty good suction cleaner prior to the robot but the difference was pretty remarkable.
Totally agree with you there! My pool has never looked cleaner, and I thought I had a good suction cleaner also. I also haven't needed to backwash my DE filter since the robot purchase either.
My pool's totally enclosed screened in so you may have more contamination. But I think frequency is more driven by how long it takes to get a pass over each part of the pool bottom.
My pool's out in the open. Our lack of rain here is a mixed blessing. It makes the ground so dry that whenever the wind blows I get dust, dirt, and anything else in the pool. I'm thinking that once a day for an hour is better than every other day for two hours, but it all depends on the ambient weather.

Reactions: setsailsoon
You have your worrier SE plugged into an outdoor plug to control and schedule cleaning? I am debating between the SE and the Nautilus CC Plus.

You “should” be able to set a schedule for 1:45 then 5 minutes later run a 2nd run for the same time.
I run mine for around an hour at 1am then 1:30 at 5:30am so it’s clean when i get up

Is S200 / Active200 work better than Pentair SE? I am about to purchase a robot this week. Did anyone able to hook the robot to the pentair intellicenter 40 to automate it vs smart plug with echo?

I run mine for 2 hrs every day. Tested it for 2.5 hrs after I saw your post. Stayed in automation mode no problem. Maybe different serial numbers have different software? If I had this to do again it might make me prefer the S200 or Active 20. At least the automation mode is documented for them and they're supposed to be identical to the Pentair SE anyway.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What's your existing pool controller? something similar to intellicenter?

There will be no official documentation on it as Im sure Polaris wants you to buy more expensive units. Trust me it works. I wired mine to my AquaLink RS control panel and turn it on and off using timed programs for the Aqualink. Once you get in in Automation Mode it will stay in that mode unless you hit one of the buttons in which case it comes out and goes back to manual. I just put my unit in a waterproof box and never see it. So here is the procedure as best as I can describe it.

Unplug the unit wait a minute and re plug it in. Press and hold the timer which is right next to the power button and has the three led lights above it. You need to press it for 10 seconds which causes the 3 timer mode led's to flash a few times then they will start. (Some people say you have to do this twice). They will then go off and you are now in Automation Mode. To test it you unplug it and wait at least 2 minutes then re plug it and it will start up and you will see the power button and 3 led lights turn on and the unit will begin to run. (If it does not work hold the 3 lets down again to repeat). It will run through its cycle and turn off. To turn it back on unplug again, wait 2 minutes and replug in. DONT TOUCH ANY BUTTONS or it will come out of Automation mode. Any time it's running like this you can take it out of Automation Mode by pressing the power button but will have to go through the above procedure to put it back.

The power of the is that some people use an Alexa plug to start there cleaner or I'm my case I was able to use my existing pool controller to set it up with programs to cut on and off. Really anything that will cut the power on and off will work.

The Pentair se is the exact same at the S200. I have a smart plug and can also control it from. Y echo, somebody showed me how to write a action and I can say “ run the squirrel “ and it will run the cleaner for 20 minutes :)
I don’t think the warrior SI does a lot, just lets you steering using Bluetooth.
IMHO I don’t know what you would automate other then starting and stopping it but I am old school.

Reactions: newpoolbuild
Is S200 / Active200 work better than Pentair SE? I am about to purchase a robot this week. Did anyone able to hook the robot to the pentair intellicenter 40 to automate it vs smart plug with echo?
I could have easily controlled the robot with my Intellicenter by powering one of the patio outlets from the box but that would have required more wiring than I wanted to do. So I just ran the power to an existing outdoor 110v receptacle in the patio through a smart switch and used our Alexa. It's set on a routine that runs daily at 10 am for 2 hrs. If I want to do an additional cleaning I just use the app or "Alexa turn on..." command. It will run an additional cycle for 2 hrs then stop and run again in the morning.

Chris

I would consider the S200 and Warrior SE the same so I just asked Margarite at Marina Pool and Spa which one was less expensive. When I bought the SE had a better sale. If the S200 had been cheaper I would have gotten it.

@markayash @setsailsoon thank you very much for all your help. My intellicenter 40 is not installed yet. It supposed to control the pool light, SWG, NG Heater and filter. I guess I could ask if the electrician could hook one of the shed outlet to the intellicenter 40, that way whatever is connected to that outlet can be controlled by intellicenter? honestly, idk what else could the intellicenter control since i don't have a spa. or Echo would be a better route since it has a broader application/ devices. I don't currently have echo devices, my house is zwave wired.

@markayash @setsailsoon thank you very much for all your help. My intellicenter 40 is not installed yet. It supposed to control the pool light, SWG, NG Heater and filter. I guess I could ask if the electrician could hook one of the shed outlet to the intellicenter 40, that way whatever is connected to that outlet can be controlled by intellicenter? honestly, idk what else could the intellicenter control since i don't have a spa. or Echo would be a better route since it has a broader application/ devices. I don't currently have echo devices, my house is zwave wired.
Maybe the automation folks can answer that part. But you have to put the cleaner in automation mode which is fairly easy. Only down side is if you push the power button it disables automation. That’s why I like the smart plug and the echo app :) I can turn it on and off 500 miles away

Just to rehash this thread. I assume that I can wire one of the IntelliCenter relays to control a 110/120v outlet. This would allow me to use the IC to turn on and off the robot from an outlet near the pool (I can then put the Warrier Controller box inside a NEMA box). I would prefer this level of automation over a smart plug (but would definitely use the smart plug if my idea doesn't pan out).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.