Pentair Warrior SE - length of power cord and Aux power control

May I ask you, why are you controlling the robot via wifi plug/alexa instead of your Intellicenter? IS that just so you can use voice activation? Could you not wire the power to the intellicenter relay instead of using a smart wifi plug? I'm building my pool now and considering both methods (smart plug vs intellicenter)... so v interested in your experience... thx!

May I ask you, why are you controlling the robot via wifi plug/alexa instead of your Intellicenter? IS that just so you can use voice activation? Could you not wire the power to the intellicenter relay instead of using a smart wifi plug? I'm building my pool now and considering both methods (smart plug vs intellicenter)... so v interested in your experience...

May I ask you, why are you controlling the robot via wifi plug/alexa instead of your Intellicenter? IS that just so you can use voice activation? Could you not wire the power to the intellicenter relay instead of using a smart wifi plug? I'm building my pool now and considering both methods (smart plug vs intellicenter)... so v interested in your experience... thx!
If this was new construction for the house I would definitely have use the intellicenter. But use of the intellicenter right now would require running a new wire through the wall from the pool pad to the back of the house. This would have to be done through conduit at this point or up through the Attic at the very edge and then a new power drop which is very hard to do with cinder block exterior walls. So using a smart controller with just much more convenient and way less expensive.

Chris

If this was new construction for the house I would definitely have use the intellicenter. But use of the intellicenter right now would require running a new wire through the wall from the pool pad to the back of the house. This would have to be done through conduit at this point or up through the Attic at the very edge and then a new power drop which is very hard to do with cinder block exterior walls. So using a smart controller with just much more convenient and way less expensive.

Chris
I’ll add to that. The only reason we use the IC and not any wifi enabled smart plug is because I knew I wanted to go this route when building our pool back in November.

Having said that, the outlet the pool builder put near our pool (specifically for a robot) gets its power from the IC load center (“sub panel”). If your outlet also gets power from the IC then you can easily used a switch aux relay to control that outlet in the load center. All the wiring would be done in the IC.

I’ll add to that. The only reason we use the IC and not any wifi enabled smart plug is because I knew I wanted to go this route when building our pool back in November.

Having said that, the outlet the pool builder put near our pool (specifically for a robot) gets its power from the IC load center (“sub panel”). If your outlet also gets power from the IC then you can easily used a switch aux relay to control that outlet in the load center. All the wiring would be done in the IC.
good tip, will do. thx!

The automation mode works for me on the Warrior SE. You have to hold in the weekly timer button starting with the power off.

When automation mode is then turned on, the power supply turns on and off (and starts up the robot automatically) when the power is applied or removed. I'm going to try hooking it up to a TP-Link Kasa Wi-Fi outlet next. The blue cord isn't long enough to go with my original plan so this will be my backup.

Thanks for the help everyone!
jphaus, how did the Kasa outlets work for you?

Following this because I'm considering the switch from a Polaris 280 (which works pretty well but the pump is leaking and will need replacement soon) to a robot, and some sort of outside control is desirable so a mode where it runs on power available is important.

I use Kasa outlets/switches too, and have found them reliable. An advantage to WiFi switches/plugs is that even if the programming/access is via a cloud service, the timer itself is in the device as far as I know. That means if it's set to turn on at 9 and off at 11, and the WiFi goes out at 10, the device will still go off at 11. That's not true (again as far as I know) of many hub-based devices (Zwave etc), where the cat knocking the hub off the shelf could leave your Stenner pump injecting chlorine or MA for many additional hours. I also like the Kasa outdoor plugs since the 2 outlets are independent, unlike most of the other ones out there.

I use Kasa outlets/switches too, and have found them reliable. An advantage to WiFi switches/plugs is that even if the programming/access is via a cloud service, the timer itself is in the device as far as I know.
Yes
I also like the Kasa outdoor plugs since the 2 outlets are independent, unlike most of the other ones out there.
Me too, although I haven't found a use for the 2nd one yet. Only drawback I have found is that the cord length is pretty short, and I am reluctant to use an extension cord.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.