Pentair IntelliCenter Review and Information

Thanks for the update! Don't understand why the main part of this can't be fixed quickly. They don't seem to have an exhaustive update testing process!

I won't gum up the works any worse with an additional ticket unless you advise me to do so.

Many thanks!

Chris
Chris,
So. I was finally able to reach one of my "trusted" IntelliCenter guru's over at Pentair.
He remoted into my system and replicated the SCHEDULE page issue.
He kind of confirmed that they (software/server guys) must have "broke" something (no kidding ?) when they last updated the Web-Client (Web Client Version: 1.044 b1 January 30, 2020).
He is elevating the issue and cc'd me the email that he sent, so maybe we will see a "fix" sometime soon.
That's about it for now.
Take care...
r.

Chris,
So. I was finally able to reach one of my "trusted" IntelliCenter guru's over at Pentair.
He remoted into my system and replicated the SCHEDULE page issue.
He kind of confirmed that they (software/server guys) must have "broke" something (no kidding ?) when they last updated the Web-Client (Web Client Version: 1.044 b1 January 30, 2020).
He is elevating the issue and cc'd me the email that he sent, so maybe we will see a "fix" sometime soon.
That's about it for now.
Take care...
r.
Ron,

Great news. Fingers crossed!

Thanks so much!!!

Chris

PS Please pass on that I still love my Intellicenter and that decision. They get reasonable time to tweak out bugs but not forever.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Does anyone else using iOS for the mobile app, run the 'dark' display mode for their device? I was really frustrated using the app because I could not see anything. It wasn't until my wife wanted me to show her something that I realized it was the dark display mode that was causing the issues.

See attached photos.

I didn't see anything other than the form entry on the website for submitting an issue. If there is a direct email for sending in issues, I would love to send this in. I apologize if that is somewhere in this thread, I did not see that anywhere. Otherwise I can call the tech support number.

If this is not a good place to put this information, I apologize. I figured this was the thread that most are looking at for issues/discussions on this type of stuff.

Thank you,

Jeff

Attachments

• Home page menu.jpg
    Home page menu.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Home page.jpg
    Home page.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 9
  • Pool light schedule.jpg
    Pool light schedule.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 8
  • System config menu.jpg
    System config menu.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 8
Does anyone else using iOS for the mobile app, run the 'dark' display mode for their device? I was really frustrated using the app because I could not see anything. It wasn't until my wife wanted me to show her something that I realized it was the dark display mode that was causing the issues.

See attached photos.

I didn't see anything other than the form entry on the website for submitting an issue. If there is a direct email for sending in issues, I would love to send this in. I apologize if that is somewhere in this thread, I did not see that anywhere. Otherwise I can call the tech support number.

If this is not a good place to put this information, I apologize. I figured this was the thread that most are looking at for issues/discussions on this type of stuff.

Thank you,

Jeff
@Turbo1Ton
Jeff
Good place I would think. A lot of IntelliCenter users come here for latest info.

Yep, you're right. This problem with the very dark screen began on the last iOS update (Version 1.8.122) I believe. It's ridiculous. I shouldn't have to go into SETTINGS > DISPLAY & BRIGHTNESS, and change to daylight settings, just to use the app at night.

This was not a problem for me before that latest update. I was going to let tech support know about it the other day, but I'm working on a couple of other issues with them and I did not want to overload them with too many issues from one user, so I didn't mention it.

If you want to give them a call (because they probably don't even know about it), here is the contact information for Pentair (scroll down to section 11.) Thanks in advance for helping out.

Comment: I sure wish the software development folks over there would "completely" vet their work before they release new updates. It appears to be a big problem with both the iOS app (not sure about Android app as I don't have an Android device) and the Web-Client. Every time it seems when they release a new update for the app or the web-client in order to fix one thing or add new features, they end up breaking something else. :mad:

Thanks for bringing this up.
r.

I had the same problem with my temperature resetting each morning. Changing it in the app or on the website worked for the day and then reset... however, changing it on the main panel locked the change in. Have you tried that yet?
You saved my day :). I did try numerous times to edit/delete/create new schedule using app or browser - was same 78 degree result next morning... however trick on directly editing schedule on panel worked out.

You saved my day :). I did try numerous times to edit/delete/create new schedule using app or browser - was same 78 degree result next morning... however trick on directly editing schedule on panel worked out.
Just another example of how the IntelliCenter web client and the mobile apps continue to "miss the mark". And I continue to wonder why a large and profitable corporation can't either hire more competent software engineers or hire additional personnel, if excessive workloads won't allow them to get these two IntelliCenter user interfaces to work better.

I keep hoping that maybe there is a software engineer/architect out there who ends up buying an IntelliCenter and who sort of takes the attitude "oh heck no", and comes up with some sort of 3rd party solution to make a really good system all the better, by fixing the problems encountered with the web client and mobile apps. Not even sure that's possible. Just venting. :)

Also, we should try to do our part. I keep believing that its extremely important to let Tech Support know of any issues encountered. They can't fix something that they don't know is broke. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the feedback on the work-around. Good stuff!
r.

Here is another one and just wondering if anyone has encountered the same or can help me out and see if they can replicate the same.

Okay, so I create a new CIRCUIT GROUP. No problem there.

But every time when I then attempt to create a new SCHEDULE and select the new CIRCUIT GROUP and click SAVE, It changes / renames the SCHEDULE name then to "SPECIALCIRC1, SPECIALCIRC2, etc.

If anyone could let me know if their experiencing the same, that would be great.
Back on the phone on Monday I guess. :p

It seems that most of these current issues that are being experienced, are all related to the SCHEDULES page and are occurring since that last web client update.
r.

Last edited:
Just another example of how the IntelliCenter web client and the mobile apps continue to "miss the mark". And I continue to wonder why a large and profitable corporation can't either hire more competent software engineers or hire additional personnel, if excessive workloads won't allow them to get these two IntelliCenter user interfaces to work better.

I keep hoping that maybe there is a software engineer/architect out there who ends up buying an IntelliCenter and who sort of takes the attitude "oh heck no", and comes up with some sort of 3rd party solution to make a really good system all the better, by fixing the problems encountered with the web client and mobile apps. Not even sure that's possible. Just venting. :)

Also, we should try to do our part. I keep believing that its extremely important to let Tech Support know of any issues encountered. They can't fix something that they don't know is broke. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the feedback on the work-around. Good stuff!
r.
So I am a software writer and just had the IntelliCenter installed. It has been very tempting to try and write something better. Luckily I have been able to work around most issues. I wish the software group had a direct email, but as you have said, really afraid of overloading them.

Ryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I am a software writer and just had the IntelliCenter installed. It has been very tempting to try and write something better. Luckily I have been able to work around most issues. I wish the software group had a direct email, but as you have said, really afraid of overloading them.

Ryan
Ryan,
Hmmm, good to know. So yea, that would be very handy. I have a couple of tech support contacts that I work with frequently and I have asked if they would let me work with or communicate directly with the software folks (like maybe in the name of "product improvement"), but they indicated that it was not allowed. But then again, I do not have the credentials that you do, so who knows.

I'm pretty convinced though, that the web-client and the mobile app would work a whole lot better if those guys would take real user input from the people who are actually using the software and hardware, in the real world and not just take input from company "testers" in some controlled and unrealistic environment.

There is a small group of IntelliCenter users/future users who are also software techies and are doing some things behind the scenes. As for me, I (my system) ends up being the "guinea pig" sometimes, which is more than okay with me. I enjoy helping out. Anything to make the software experience related to the IntelliCenter better for all of us. If you want, I will get you included in this little mini sort of unorganized and unofficial group of users.

I'm working on a couple of things along these lines and will try to keep you in the loop if you want. For the majority of IntelliCenter user's, they just want to control the On/Off of a pump or light, have cleaning automated on a schedule, control their IntelliChlor output etc, (which is what the system is about), so the current web-client and mobile apps work just fine for them (albeit, both platforms are still pretty "buggy"). For the few others, there is much more that can be realized. The biggest sore spot concerning software, for some of us, is that Pentair will not release the system firmware that allows the IntelliValve to function as an automated multi-positional actuator.

Anyway, I'll shoot you some info that you can take a look at soon and maybe have some "fun" with in regards to the firmware.
Thanks very much.
r.

Ryan,
Hmmm, good to know. So yea, that would be very handy. I have a couple of tech support contacts that I work with frequently and I have asked if they would let me work with or communicate directly with the software folks (like maybe in the name of "product improvement"), but they indicated that it was not allowed. But then again, I do not have the credentials that you do, so who knows.

I'm pretty convinced though, that the web-client and the mobile app would work a whole lot better if those guys would take real user input from the people who are actually using the software and hardware, in the real world and not just take input from company "testers" in some controlled and unrealistic environment.

There is a small group of IntelliCenter users/future users who are also software techies and are doing some things behind the scenes. As for me, I (my system) ends up being the "guinea pig" sometimes, which is more than okay with me. I enjoy helping out. Anything to make the software experience related to the IntelliCenter better for all of us. If you want, I will get you included in this little mini sort of unorganized and unofficial group of users.

I'm working on a couple of things along these lines and will try to keep you in the loop if you want. For the majority of IntelliCenter user's, they just want to control the On/Off of a pump or light, have cleaning automated on a schedule, control their IntelliChlor output etc, (which is what the system is about), so the current web-client and mobile apps work just fine for them (albeit, both platforms are still pretty "buggy"). For the few others, there is much more that can be realized. The biggest sore spot concerning software, for some of us, is that Pentair will not release the system firmware that allows the IntelliValve to function as an automated multi-positional actuator.

Anyway, I'll shoot you some info that you can take a look at soon and maybe have some "fun" with in regards to the firmware.
Thanks very much.
r.
Would be happy to help in any way possible.

It was pretty funny when I had my system fully programmed before the pool start-up guy came. I had to walk him through all the settings as it was his first time to see the IntelliCenter.

Ryan

Reactions: MyAZPool
Here is another one and just wondering if anyone has encountered the same or can help me out and see if they can replicate the same.

But every time when I then attempt to create a new SCHEDULE and select the new CIRCUIT GROUP and click SAVE, It changes / renames the SCHEDULE name then to "SPECIALCIRC1, SPECIALCIRC2, etc.

If anyone could let me know if their experiencing the same, that would be great.

It seems that most of these current issues that are being experienced, are all related to the SCHEDULES page and are occurring since that last web client update.
r.
Ron,

I added a circuit group to turn all lights off. Didn't have the same problem. Just shows up as Circuit Group 1 in my schedule list.

Chris

r.
I am unable to re-create through the web client. Are you seeing this in the mobile app or web client? I tried both adding an existing circuit group that I had already created and I tried creating a new circuit group and then added it to a schedule. Neither show a rename. The problem I am seeing now though is that I can no longer expand any of the schedules. They pop open and then close really fast.

Update: Deleting the schedules that I added as part of the experiment solved the not expanding issue.

Ryan

Ron,

I added a circuit group to turn all lights off. Didn't have the same problem. Just shows up as Circuit Group 1 in my schedule list.

Chris
Hmmm :scratch:. Is "Circuit Group 1" what you called the actual CIRCUIT GROUP when you created it? If so, then your system is working normally.
As far as mine, I can't get a newly created SCHEDULE to do that (grrrrrr). I've tried all kinds of things and nothing works. Just now, I even went so far as naming it the same thing that you did and when I select the Circuit Group in the newly created schedule it renames it to SPECIALCIRC2.

I have tried all of this in the Web-Client, the iOS app and also the Android App (last night I discovered a way to download the Android app right on to my desktop, which I'm going to talk about in a separate post that hopefully I can get to today). It's raining today, but hopefully I can get out to the panel today and try it there. What a pain in the rear.
Thanks much Chris,
r.

I am unable to re-create through the web client. Are you seeing this in the mobile app or web client? I tried both adding an existing circuit group that I had already created and I tried creating a new circuit group and then added it to a schedule. Neither show a rename. The problem I am seeing now though is that I can no longer expand any of the schedules. They pop open and then close really fast.
Web-Client, iOS and Android app.
Yep, many of us are experiencing the inability to expand the schedule in order to edit them on the Web-Client. I don't have the same problem with the iOS or Android app. No issue at the control panel either.

Update: Deleting the schedules that I added as part of the experiment solved the not expanding issue.
Tried that too and at first, I experienced the same. Then later on in the day, it reverted back to "its old ways" again. :mad:

Thanks Ryan,
r.

Hmmm :scratch:. Is "Circuit Group 1" what you called the actual CIRCUIT GROUP when you created it? If so, then your system is working normally.
Yes,

Glad to help... nothing compared to all your effort. I sure hope they get this stuff fixed soon... I'm not a developer but familiar with code (albeit 40 years ago); this doesn't seem like rocket science. They must have very low staffing level considering the release of such a major new product. This kind of stuff shouldn't be a surprise.

Chris

Yes,
Glad to help... nothing compared to all your effort. I sure hope they get this stuff fixed soon... I'm not a developer but familiar with code (albeit 40 years ago); this doesn't seem like rocket science. They must have very low staffing level considering the release of such a major new product. This kind of stuff shouldn't be a surprise.
Chris
Chris,
The info sharing we are ALL doing here is great. I too agree that the Pentair Software Development Team (or maybe they are using a sub-contractor, who knows), has certainly established a poor track record recently with regards to the quality of functionality of the Web-Client and to a lessor degree the two mobile apps and the natives are getting reckless for some fixes to these buggy interfaces.

Not sure if its lack of personnel or lack of technical ability but I do know some 14 year olds that could do a much better job at web design and functionality and probably would work for a lot less. :) . Yikes.

I'm talking with TS on Monday about the whole SCHEDULES page changing names thing and I will bring up some of these other ankle-biter issues as well. Maybe it will help or maybe not, who knows.

Not much we can do about it, until someone comes along and develops a fully functioning third-party shell type app with a GUI that can reside on the users PC/MAC. Once that happens then its bye bye to Mr. IntelliCenter web client for me anyway. There are some members here that, thank goodness, are moving in that direction. But it's taking some time. I'm literally exhausted from the lack of responsiveness from the IntelliCenter software development team.

Thanks Chris and take care.
r.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.