Pentair IntelliCenter Pool Control Dashboard Instructional Guide

Check the time on your raspberry pi. You must provide it with a timezone and set the time there. It will then pull the correct time from your pi. This allows you to use an NTP server attached to your pi or use its internal clock. You will only get options for manual and/or internet when you have an OCP as Pentair has it's own internal clock.

Check the time on your raspberry pi. You must provide it with a timezone and set the time there. It will then pull the correct time from your pi. This allows you to use an NTP server attached to your pi or use its internal clock. You will only get options for manual and/or internet when you have an OCP as Pentair has it's own internal clock.
The time is correct on the pi, and actually when I mess with the dash panel, the terminal prompt on njpc updates with the correct time. I'm not really that concerned with the time part personally, as I intend to run schedules via node-red and Home Assistant, but that will require me figuring out how to control the pump rpm via mqtt lol.

Yes we are currently adding endpoints and have fixed up some of the chlorinator stuff as it relates to superChlor et al. I do have some limitations though because I don't have IntelliChem. We only have the commands that are known to us on the RS485 bus. Some of what we control with the REM Chemistry device cannot be controlled via IntelliChem as that is reserved to the chem controller itself. The rule of thumb is that if it can be controlled via an OCP then we can send it those commands to control it. As it turns out I am cleaning up some of the MQTT stuff today.

Last edited:
Maybe you can provide the missing commands?
For your chlorinator commands try sending the state values on the chlorinator subscribe.

// Super Chlorinate.
topic: pool/state/chlorinator
message: {id:1, superChlor: $$VGP, superChlorHours: $$VALUE}

// Pool Setpoint

// Spa Setpoint

The endpoint for the chem controller is the same but only the following values are settable. This endpoint is only available on the next repo posted as of 1/22.
orp.setpoint = integer
orp.tank.level = decimal
ph.setpoint = decimal
ph.tank.level = decimal
calciumHardness = integer
alkalinity = integer
cyanuricAcid = integer
borates = integer <-- This value is ignored for IntelliChem
// Include only the attributes you would like to set so for instance to set the orp setpoint and the tank level do
topic: pool/state/chemController

// To set the chemical levels
topic: pool/state/chemController
message: {id: 1, calciumHardness: 100, alklinity: 100, cyanuricAcid: 25, borates: 5}

@rstrouse
Njspc 6.1.1 Next Build 911
MQTT Feedback
pool/state/chemController
{"id":1,"ph":{"setpoint":$$VALUE:}
Nothing (I am blind, in that I do not know how to find feedback on the command, either it works or not)

pool/state/chemController
{"id":1,"orp":{"setpoint":$$VALUE:}
Nothing

pool/state/chlorinator
{"id":1,"spaSetpoint":$$VALUE:}
and
{"id":1,"poolSetpoint":$$VALUE:}
Backwards - poolSetpoint changes spa setpoint, and spaSetpoint changes pool setpoint.

pool/state/chlorinator
{"id":1,"superChlorinate":$$VALUE:}
Rock solid on-off control of superchlorinator

pool/state/chlorinator
{"id":1,"superChlorHours":$$VALUE:}
Tried "superChlorHours", "superChlor" and "hours" with $$Value or $$VGP
Nothing worked....

@MyAZPool Okay.... So I finally got my IC up and running, and have been trying for several hours to get this to work. I've run into the same roadblock twice now (reformatted and started over, thinking I had missed a step or something). When I first fire up the Dashboard on the RPi, I get the screen below. If I log in from my PC, I get the "Unknown Model" screen. When I do that search for a controller, it does find a controller - but lists the IP as the IP of my internal firewall / network controller. If I accept that (can't imagine how that would work), I get the screen below when I refresh. If I put in the IP of the RPi (192.168.1.235, port 4200), same thing. Any ideas?

I did get the following error when I started the Dashboard from the RPi, which I did not see in the screen grabs you posted:

pi@Pool:~/nodejs-poolController-dashPanel $ npm start&
[2] 3683
pi@Pool:~/nodejs-poolController-dashPanel $
> [email protected] start /home/pi/nodejs-poolController-dashPanel
> npm run build && node dist/app.js

> [email protected] build /home/pi/nodejs-poolController-dashPanel
> tsc

error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, scandir '/home/pi/nodejs-poolController-dashPanel/data/outQueues/' {"errno":-2,"syscall":"scandir","code":"ENOENT","path":"/home/pi/nodejs-poolController-dashPanel/data/outQueues/"}
info: Server is now listening on 0.0.0.0:5150
Error creating directory: /home/pi/nodejs-poolController-dashPanel/data/outQueues/ - Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, mkdir '/home/pi/nodejs-poolController-dashPanel/data/outQueues/'

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@wgipe
I was able to reach out to one of the developers off-line. Looks as though you might have a couple of "issues" going on there. You might even have an incompatible version of Node for some reason.
He advises that unless it is something simple, it is always best to create an "issue" in the applicable Github repository for the fastest and best help (better than using the Gitter threads.)

Go to the following link and copy/paste your original post there so you can get some help. This is no different than members here advising other members to contact Pentair, Hayward, etc. when the issue is specific and may require intervention from support technicians.

The following “issue” link is provided below.

I'll follow along on the progress there to see how it goes.
r.

Reactions: wgipe
@wgipe
I think I had this happen to me once (or something similar).
Are dashpanel and njsPC on the same network and both internal?

Sorry to go dark for a bit. Yes - they are on the same network and I've explicitly allowed all traffic to/from that IP just to rule out firewall interference. It hit me after I posted here that I should probably post the issue on GitHub, and I did that - I see that he's responded. Very well could be permissions. I'll try his suggestions now. Thanks much!

Wes

Reactions: MyAZPool
Well.

As it turns out, I'm just an idiot. I had created a self-licking ice cream cone of sorts - I was running the start command, and once it finished, closing the terminal window. I guess I was equating this to starting a service via command line in Windows - start it, close the command line window, and it runs in the background.

He had me run each "sudo npm start" in a separate window, and it now works like a charm. I'll learn this RPi stuff here eventually...

Thanks @MyAZPool! I sure appreciate the help. Now - off to play.

Wes

Reactions: MyAZPool
@wgipe
Wes... Ah... Yea, I read the issue you posted on the Github repository. If you think that's bad, it's nothing compared to what I tried to do at first lol. I tried to use one of those USB microSD card adapters and inserted it in one of the USB ports on the Raspberry Pi. :p... I didn't know the pi had the microSD card slot. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the pi would not boot up until one of the other guys set me straight. (y)

Welcome to the "dark" side and congratulations on earning the medal of freedom (from Pentair Servers) award. 🎖
You're really going to like being able to open up your pool automation dashPanel any time you want, without the concern that at any time the Pentair servers might drop off line or having to deal with all the other issues associated with that stupid web client.

When you have things configured, how about sharing some screen captures so we can all enjoy seeing your new dashPanel...
Thanks...
r.

I have been having a lot of sporadic issues with my Pi shutting down randomly and then corrupting the SD card. I think I isolated it to the POE adapter. My guess is it wasn’t providing adequate power. Just an FYI in case anyone else experiences same issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support