Pentair Heat Pump and Pentair PL4

coyote77

Sep 12, 2021
Fort Worth
Hi,

If I get a Pentair Heat Pump Cooler, which AFAIK has a RS485 connection which can be used with a PL4 with ScreenLogic, in order to be able to control the Heatpump from the Pentair app, does the Heat Pump need to use a relay from the PL4, or can it be plugged without the relay, but connected to the RS485? I want to understand if I will be short in relays and need to upgrade to a PL8, or if I can use it only with the RS485 connection and no relay.

If what I'm asking doesn't make sense, I apologize, I'm new in all this.

Thanks

If you have not already purchased the PL4 you might want to think again.

The "L" in PL4 stands for "lite" as in the lite salad dressing that no one can eat. :mrgreen:

It has no load center, it has very limited functions, and only has two Feature Circuits and a max of 4 schedules including any active egg timers.

I predict that you will be less than happy with it.

There is no such thing as a PL8.

That said, heaters do not require a relay. But keep in mind the EasyTouch 4 really only has 3 user programable relays. One of the 4 relays can only be used as the Pump/Filter relay, even if you don't need it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you have not already purchased the PL4 you might want to think again.

The "L" in PL4 stands for "lite" as in the lite salad dressing that no one can eat. :mrgreen:

It has no load center, it has very limited functions, and only has two Feature Circuits and a max of 4 schedules including any active egg timers.

I predict that you will be less than happy with it.

There is no such thing as a PL8.

That said, heaters do not require a relay. But keep in mind the EasyTouch 4 really only has 3 user programable relays. One of the 4 relays can only be used as the Pump/Filter relay, even if you don't need it.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks! So if there's no PL8, but PB was talking about an upgrade to 8 relays from the PL4, which one would you assume it is from here EasyTouch® Pool & Spa Control Systems -TradeGrade ?

Your pool builder may have said "PL4" just off the top of his head and may be talking about the standard EasyTouch.

The standard EasyTouch comes with 4 or 8 relays. It has a load center where all your circuit breakers get mounted, it has a max of 12 schedules and 8 Feature Circuits and of course cost more..

I suggest that you ask your pool builder if the EasyTouch he wants to install has an internal load center. If it has load center, it is not a lite model.

If possible, get the actual P/N and not a model number.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.